Serpentine belt at 13k miles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Serpentine belt at 13k miles?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
JorgenJGC
2011 WK 

Serpentine belt at 13k miles?

So driving to take one of my buyers for holiday lunch yesterday and I hear this RPM dependent non-metallic rubbing noise. Thought maybe it was a shroud or something like that but it ended up being only related to RPM not speed. Turns out the rear rib of the serpentine belt is half gone and there is a small piece sticking out just running around whacking things as the engine spins. So I went and grabbed a serpentine belt this morning but seriously are these things common to go that early? Only thing I can think is maybe since my car is an 11 and only had 11kmiles on it when I bought it last month there was some sitting that damaged the belt?

Oh yeah, I have the Phoenix v6 in this without EPS.

JorgenJGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
2kg4u
2014 WK 

That seems early for a belt failure. With the belt off check to make sure all pullies are turning smoothly and easily with no squeaks. If you can, use a straight edge to make sure the pullies are all in alignment. Eyeball it if you can't get a straight edge in there. With it ripping one edge like that there may be a pulley alignment issue.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Doesn't appear to be common. I've read here of a couple, one vehicle kept throwing them. Probably a defective belt, otherwise I would also suspect pulley alignment.
Unread 12-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Dabitz

You have to find what caused the failure, those driving belts are rated to last 120k miles.
Dabitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
HaydenHunter
2014 WK 

Our 1997 JGC has been through 3 serp belts in 182K miles.
HaydenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #6
JorgenJGC
2011 WK 

Well took a few with the holiday and all but I did start to get a whine pretty bad in the cold. Pulled the belt again when that started to show up. The idle (which has been revised including new bolt from Chrysler) pulley has more wobble to it than I will accept, listened to it with a Stethoscope and there was definitely whine coming from that bearing. The pulley on the tensioner also shows more wobble than I want to accept as well. You can't get a Scope on the bearing in that pulley due to the layout of the tensioner.

So long story short both parts are ordered, I'm hope they are here before the weekend but that seems in likely. When I do the install I will do the idler alone first and see if the whine is still there before doing the tensioner to give some feedback on high it was coming from the most.
Unread 01-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
JorgenJGC
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabitz View Post
You have to find what caused the failure, those driving belts are rated to last 120k miles.
They really claim 120k on a seep belt now, wow. I usually do them every 50-75k on my cars.
Unread 01-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

160,000 on original serpentine belt on our 4.7 V8 Jeep..... Still looks like new ..... No cracks in the valleys ...... Early failure is alignment tensioner issue usually .
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenJGC View Post
They really claim 120k on a seep belt now, wow. I usually do them every 50-75k on my cars.
If you have a EPDM belt then yes 100k-120k is about the life span and they don't show wear like the older poly belts you have the measure the rib depth.The older poly belts are the ones that rarely make it past 50k without being all cracked.
Unread 01-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #10
JorgenJGC
2011 WK 

After futrrther testing it is the ac compresor tht is squealing. When the clutch is inactive the thing when's like a schoolgirl. Trying to find a clutch kit for this compressor, looks like Chrysler sells one for a hundred bucks not too bad if it really fits the issues. Would like to avoid dumping the refrigerant as tht just jump the cot thrgh the roof on the repair nd I can't do it myself.
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
henrysko
2011 WK 

^ Off topic suggestion...

You should really read your post before you hit the reply button.
Flame suit on.
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
JorgenJGC
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrysko View Post
^ Off topic suggestion...

You should really read your post before you hit the reply button.
Flame suit on.
Yeah it happens, no flame suit for you I'm too lazy to check them or care about the grammar, spelling or continuity in a post. Not going to deny it, can I blame the fact that I type most posts on my ipad or phone?
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenJGC View Post
After futrrther testing it is the ac compresor tht is squealing. When the clutch is inactive the thing when's like a schoolgirl. Trying to find a clutch kit for this compressor, looks like Chrysler sells one for a hundred bucks not too bad if it really fits the issues. Would like to avoid dumping the refrigerant as tht just jump the cot thrgh the roof on the repair nd I can't do it myself.
Well, the good part is you know what the problem is. No way the serp belt should be failing as quick as yours did, unless there is an underlying problem.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.