Selec-Terrain Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Selec-Terrain Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
jeepsterguy
2011 WK 

Selec-Terrain Questions

I read the manual and I think I understand the system.
I would like to make sure that I got it right.
For the following settings only: Sport, Snow, Auto, Sand, I can shift to and from these positions at any speed and any road surface.
If I am driving in snow and the selector is on SNOW and I find myself on clear, dry, asphalt I don't have to shift to Auto if I don't want to. It will not stress the 4x4 system. Is that correct?
I am transitioning from part-time/full-time Jeeps to the new stuff and I would like to make sure.

jeepsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
mr2guru

This is your daddy.

http://www.jeep.com/vehiclequicktips

All the information is there.

In short, yes you can move the dial around to your heart's content. But.... "Rock" will only engage that calibration when you are in 4Low and that requires specific seperate engagement procedures. Sport, Auto, Snow, and Sand/Mud can be engaged at any speed.
mr2guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
wjs81866

Snow mode puts 50/50 torque split, Auto is 52/48? rear to front
Quadra Trac 2
Lux Group 2
20" tires and rims
Towing package

2) 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X
Blackberry Pearl
5.7L
Quadra Drive 2
Quadra Lift
Laredo X Group 25 package
Chrome Fogs and Mirrors
Off-Road Adventure II Package
P265/60R18 Michelin LTX M/S 2's
BWoody 4" Velocity Intake
wjs81866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
john3r
2011 WK 

Also it is important to remember if your in heavy snow and want to engage 4wd Low:

With the vehicle at speeds of 0 to 3 mph (0 to 5 km/h), the ignition switch in the ON/RUN position or the engine running, shift the transmission into NEUTRAL, and press the “4WD LOW” button once on the transfer case switch. The “4WD LOW” indicator light in the instrument cluster will begin to flash and remain on solid when the shift is complete

When operating your vehicle in 4WD LOW, the engine speed is approximately three times that of the 4WD HI position at a given road speed. Take care not to overspeed the engine and do not exceed 25 mph (40 km/h).

(taken from the Quick Tips)

Also, would recommend downloading the Jeep Grand Cherokee iPhone App. It's a no-brainer if you own a WK2 and iPhone.

All of these kind of notes, and etc are easily available if you need them.
john3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
jeepsterguy
2011 WK 

Due to lack of information, for some time I assumed that the MP3023 TC had some kind of an internal differential for normal 4x4 with a clutch to control slippage.
I finally got my hands on the schematics of the MP3023 (as used in GM trucks) and I can see that there is no differential and that all the 4x4 biasing is a matter of force applied on a wet clutch. It seems that the clutch is always active and slipping to one degree or another to achieve the proper bias according to what is dialed in, controlled by inputs such as vehicle speed and/or wheel speed.
jeepsterguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.