Seeking Final QTI/QTII Advice To Narrow Down 2011-2013 Search - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Seeking Final QTI/QTII Advice To Narrow Down 2011-2013 Search

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #31
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Not that simple. QTII will lock front and rear axles without BTC before any wheel spins, so its marginally better for starting out in snow mode or for stoplight to stoplight racing. Unlike mud, you don't really want to spin on snow, ice, or dry pavement. So the QTII traction response is quicker and better, other things being equal like tires. Whether you need the extra performance is subjective. When you have all wheels spinning wildly, the type of transfer case probably doesn't make much difference

The biggest QTII advantage for everyday use, I think, is the several operating modes tailored to mud, snow, sport... etc. ... and the you can add QD.
Hmmm, I wasn't aware our QTII system had any differential locking ability...

Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #32
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post

Hmmm, I wasn't aware our QTII system had any differential locking ability...
Using the abs system it fakes it.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #33
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
Using the abs system it fakes it.
That's what I was explaining, but he made it sound like something different.

He doesn't mean the QT I doesn't use that system too, does he?
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #34
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Perhaps jeep now using the term "brake differential lock" to mean what many of us call "brake traction control" has been confusing. The WK2 brake differential lock provides a similar function as a diff lock by locking (braking) one half of the axle. The WK2 diff lock locks both half axles together within the diff housing with a clutch. Diff locks are much more efficient than brake locks and can be "preloaded". Brake locks must have wheel spin first to activate, but modern computers are pretty quick.

QTI is entirely traction computer controlled brake traction control with a fully open transfer case (no lock). QTI is very effective, many here wheel with it.

QTII uses brake traction control and a variable lock transfer case. The transfer case lock is under computer control and is variable from 0 (fully open) to 100%. The transfer case also has a low range (always 100% locked in low).

QDII uses brake traction control only on the front axle. A locking diff is used on the rear axle as well as the QTII locking transfer case. Transfer case and rear diff lock are controlled by the traction computer and varies from 0 to 100%. The transfer case also has a low range (always 100% locked in low).

The newer SRTs have the QDII system without the low range.

The traction computer manipulates locks and brakes based on several inputs ranging from throttle open/close rate, steering angle, and wheel speed sensors to the position of the select terrain switch. The SRT launch control locks up the transfer case and rear diff to get all available engine power to the ground on launch. Same thing happens when you mash the throttle on a QD equipped vehicle in the normal select terrain mode, .
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:51 PM   #35
Kev M
2012 WK 

Ok, so, there's no side-to-side locking difference between the QT I & II.

So, how's that different from what I said?

Not being argumentative, just trying to understand any actual differences.
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #36
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Not that simple. QTII will lock front and rear axles without BTC before any wheel spins, so its marginally better for starting out in snow mode or for stoplight to stoplight racing. Unlike mud, you don't really want to spin on snow, ice, or dry pavement. So the QTII traction response is quicker and better, other things being equal like tires. Whether you need the extra performance is subjective. When you have all wheels spinning wildly, the type of transfer case probably doesn't make much difference

The biggest QTII advantage for everyday use, I think, is the several operating modes tailored to mud, snow, sport... etc. ... and the you can add QD.
Ok, re-reading the threa. Are you saying that it's an electronic control issue?

i.e. that QT II is programmed to deal with wheel spin sooner/better/faster.
Unread 02-15-2014, 12:28 AM   #37
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Ok, so, there's no side-to-side locking difference between the QT I & II.

So, how's that different from what I said?

Not being argumentative, just trying to understand any actual differences.
I think you said QTI and QTII rely on brake traction control. I was just saying thats perhaps too general a statement that's not true in every situation.

You can look at it as QTII doesn't rely entirely on brake traction control. It will first lock the transfer case, sometimes pre-emptively, and then augments with brake traction control if necessary. In a marginal situation, a QTI system may start spinning a tire where a QTII system doesn't.

When all the tires are spinning, both QTI and QTII are using brake traction control.
Unread 02-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #38
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Ok, re-reading the thread. Are you saying that it's an electronic control issue?

i.e. that QT II is programmed to deal with wheel spin sooner/better/faster.
Other things being equal, QTI will spin a tire in many marginal situations where QTII does not. Its not so much programing but more the nature of open vs locked transfer cases.

Another example is the program can lock the QTII transfer case in anticipation of wheel spin such as when you mash the throttle. This can prevent wheel spin in the first place. The brake traction control computer, however, needs to determine which of the four tires are spinning before it can react.

Keeping tires from losing traction and spinning in the first place is a big help. Dunno if you get a chance to drive something that has brake traction control and a manually open/locked transfer case. On slippery streets and an open transfer case, the brake traction control always seems to be working. With the transfer case locked, its rare to hear the brake traction control work.

How much marginally better QTII or QDII is over QTI for you depends on how you use your vehicle. For many, the marginal utility is not worth the cost. You can certainly get by nicely without.
Unread 02-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #39
marko138
2011 WK 

Jiffster,

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm currently looking for a WK2 (to replace my WK). I'm also debating on the QT2. My WK has the QT1 and I've only gotten stuck once in 7 years, and I don't do any real wheeling, so I certainly don't need the QT2. But I'm looking anyway.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 01:09 AM   #40
ChrisCicc

Quote:
You DEFINITELY don't need it for snow or the boat, and I honestly don't think you'll need it for hunting or camping either.

Though have used the dial to select SNOW, or SAND for appropriate conditions, I've still not used the low range. Oh wait, I did use the low range ONCE, when I was pulling a high-centered Jeep Wrangler Unlimited off a sand dune. That was it, and honestly, it came off so easily with a little tug that I probably didn't need it for that.

Yeah, I enjoy having it, but from your description I'd say you probably don't need it.

EDIT - I've launched many boats with multiple tow vehicles (mostly Jeeps) and NEVER used or needed low range for it.
I used 4 low in both sand and snow plenty of times over the years with my '99 V8. You don't need 4 low to launch from a ramp, but launching from beaches is a whole other story, so it's up to your use.

I routinely needed 4 low to pull a boat from a beach ramp in sand. I also used 4 low to pull a F-150 that was pulling a boat that had it's electronic 4wd system fail

In snow (granted this was before the time of the "snow dial"), I used 4 low to negotiate the hills in my area when they were un-plowed. If you live in a flat area you may not need it. Just my 2 cents, opinions may vary

Edit: I just upgraded to a '14 limited, and the one option I got was the Off Road Adventure II package, so I will be putting the new snow and sand modes to the test first chance I can!
ChrisCicc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #41
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you're going to go off road. Make sure you have a low range.

It's not about torque. It's about control.

Our anniversary doesn't have a low range. That said. I never plan on going near a trail. Our limited wk had qd2 and it was unbelievable when pushed. Blizzard of 09? I think it was. I used it to go recover a few stuck rigs in 18" of snow. Both diffs locking got it done. Low range is a huge help when recovering too.

That said. The wk2 I have uses the same esp that my jks did. It allows ample wheel spin in the snow while using the brakes to act as a limited slip. And I'm very very happy with it. Jeep really has that down. I don't have to turn the esp off to make snowy climbs like in the ford (that all but cuts the power).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.