Seeking Final QTI/QTII Advice To Narrow Down 2011-2013 Search - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Seeking Final QTI/QTII Advice To Narrow Down 2011-2013 Search

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #16
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

These transfer cases are used by a number of brands by different names, perhaps most notably by Cheby in their light duty trucks. Different brands control the QTII case differently, however.

Unread 02-14-2014, 04:02 AM   #17
Jiffster
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post

So QT I is perfectly capable for most on-road conditions.
What on-road conditions is it not capable of?
Jiffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #18
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Hold Out for QTII

On a weekly basis I am going across fields or down a double track ie dirt, mud, snow covered road that is filed with ruts to get to a herding lesson, work a herding trial or to help a friend out with stock. I spent a very early Wed morning and most of yesterday helping a friend out since its lambing season. I drove down to her place in the heavy snow and met another friend there in Northern Fauquier County. I drove down unplowed interstate, primary, secondary and back roads. My friend has a gas powered 4wd Chevy 2500 pick up with BFG ATs and our friend the farm owner a Ford 250 4wd with BFG MTs. Some of the roads on her farm are paved but most arent. I had no problems on the snow covered double track, paved roads or crossing fields. I cant say the same for my friends who had to use the range and did slide, spin tires and have to tow each other out. Thats with 8 square bales in the back of their trucks for the ewes and the lambs. I am guessing roughly in about 24 hours she had over 120 newborn lambs we had to check on. I have 2012 GC Laredo X with the ORAI package and 4 Blizzaks. I had no problems driving through 15 to 20" of fresh snow. ATs and MTs had issues.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #19
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
On a weekly basis I am going across fields or down a double track ie dirt, mud, snow covered road that is filed with ruts to get to a herding lesson, work a herding trial or to help a friend out with stock. I spent a very early Wed morning and most of yesterday helping a friend out since its lambing season. I drove down to her place in the heavy snow and met another friend there in Northern Fauquier County. I drove down unplowed interstate, primary, secondary and back roads. My friend has a gas powered 4wd Chevy 2500 pick up with BFG ATs and our friend the farm owner a Ford 250 4wd with BFG MTs. Some of the roads on her farm are paved but most arent. I had no problems on the snow covered double track, paved roads or crossing fields. I cant say the same for my friends who had to use the range and did slide, spin tires and have to tow each other out. Thats with 8 square bales in the back of their trucks for the ewes and the lambs. I am guessing roughly in about 24 hours she had over 120 newborn lambs we had to check on. I have 2012 GC Laredo X with the ORAI package and 4 Blizzaks. I had no problems driving through 15 to 20" of fresh snow. ATs and MTs had issues.
Interesting. Sounds like Blizzaks worked well again. What size wheels?
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #20
Kev M
2012 WK 

Dave that really doesn't say what made the difference, the weight of the different vehicles, the tires on your vehicle, the QTII system, and/or the driver.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #21
midnightrambler
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffster View Post
What on-road conditions is it not capable of?
I think extreme ice or snow where only one wheel has traction would be better with QT II than QT I. Of course proper winter tires would likely be even more useful in that situation.
midnightrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #22
eibyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffster View Post
I was wondering exactly what the all weather group is and who's it intended for?
Not sure, maybe it was made for the folks like me. There were two configured like that at the dealer lot. I really wanted the remote start being in AZ but I didn't want to pay for the leather in the X. I was really surprised about this configuration. I've since added a backup camera, the 430N, skid plates and rock rails next
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #23
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I think extreme ice or snow where only one wheel has traction would be better with QT II than QT I. Of course proper winter tires would likely be even more useful in that situation.

I don't think so. I mean, in a case like that both the QT I and II systems are going to rely on traction control via braking right?

Personally I think the only REAL difference is the low range for crawling. the Select Terrain dial makes me feel warm and fuzzy and gives me at least the illusion of more control over the electronic control of the transfer case, but really at the end of the day I'm sure the auto setting does 90%+ of the same thing without me setting it on Snow, or Sand, or ....

I like having it, I do play with the settings, but I betcha I don't need it for street, dirt, field, or beach play.
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #24
eibyer

+1 on the warm fuzzy feeling.

Does the QT1 have hill descent control?
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:22 AM   #25
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

18"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullheadbud View Post
Interesting. Sounds like Blizzaks worked well again. What size wheels?
Since my WK2 is off road weekly didnt see any need for 20" wheels and especially a 50 series tire. It didnt make any sense to me since I am off road more than mall crawling.
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #26
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
Dave that really doesn't say what made the difference, the weight of the different vehicles, the tires on your vehicle, the QTII system, and/or the driver.
Since I have the least amount of ground clearance out of the 3 vehicles and weighed the least even with my dogs the fact i could keep up with the two pick ups in 18" of snow w/o having to use the low range when they did says a lot for the QTII and winter tires. They got stuck I didnt. I also found the snow setting really helpful over auto since I had a lot of time to play with auto vs snow on the snow covered interstate, primary, secondary roads, snow covered dirt roads and snow covered fields. The snow setting kept the rear end planted despite my attempts to break it loose and minimized understeer. I really expected being in the fields for 14 hours that I was going to have to get towed out by the tractor but it didnt happen. Now this afternoon if I was out there it would be different story with more mud and melting snow etc. This afternoon I would rather be out there in a TJ with Dana 44s, 5 spd manual, no ABS, winter tires and Eaton E lockers.
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #27
Kev M
2012 WK 

I'm giving MOST of the credit to the tires.... based on that report and my experience with the QTII.
Unread 02-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #28
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eibyer View Post
+1 on the warm fuzzy feeling.

Does the QT1 have hill descent control?
Hill decent control only works with low range, so not QT1.
Unread 02-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #29
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
I don't think so. I mean, in a case like that both the QT I and II systems are going to rely on traction control via braking right?
Not that simple. QTII will lock front and rear axles without BTC before any wheel spins, so its marginally better for starting out in snow mode or for stoplight to stoplight racing. Unlike mud, you don't really want to spin on snow, ice, or dry pavement. So the QTII traction response is quicker and better, other things being equal like tires. Whether you need the extra performance is subjective. When you have all wheels spinning wildly, the type of transfer case probably doesn't make much difference

The biggest QTII advantage for everyday use, I think, is the several operating modes tailored to mud, snow, sport... etc. ... and the you can add QD.
Unread 02-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #30
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post

Since I have the least amount of ground clearance out of the 3 vehicles and weighed the least even with my dogs the fact i could keep up with the two pick ups in 18" of snow w/o having to use the low range when they did says a lot for the QTII and winter tires. They got stuck I didnt. I also found the snow setting really helpful over auto since I had a lot of time to play with auto vs snow on the snow covered interstate, primary, secondary roads, snow covered dirt roads and snow covered fields. The snow setting kept the rear end planted despite my attempts to break it loose and minimized understeer. I really expected being in the fields for 14 hours that I was going to have to get towed out by the tractor but it didnt happen. Now this afternoon if I was out there it would be different story with more mud and melting snow etc. This afternoon I would rather be out there in a TJ with Dana 44s, 5 spd manual, no ABS, winter tires and Eaton E lockers.
Eaton E lockers have some of the wprst reliability records in that industry.
The fact that you were the only one who had an empty vehicle and the fact they outweighed you by what?... 3k pounds 4k pounds? The qt2 system is one of the best out there, did your buddies have front and rear limited slips or lockers? That is a big difference right there.
Ground clearance is all relative to where it is measured. The rear pumpkin will be dragging the ground long before any part of the wk2 will unless they had 33 or 35 inch tall tires.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.