Seeking Final QTI/QTII Advice To Narrow Down 2011-2013 Search - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Seeking Final QTI/QTII Advice To Narrow Down 2011-2013 Search

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 02-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
Jiffster
2011 WK 

Seeking Final QTI/QTII Advice To Narrow Down 2011-2013 Search

I've recieved some great advice regarding should I go with a QTI or QTII for the 2011-2013 JGC I am serching for. I'm hoping to get just a little more advice to help me decide if I should go ahead and get a vehicle with QTI or hold out for a vehicle with QTII.

I'm finding the Laredo's with the X package have the features I want. Every one I've seen so far has a QTI. These have averaged approx 25k miles for $26-27k.

I am on the fence as to should I hold out for a QTII. My questions are:

1) Is it going to be next to impossible to find a Laredo X with a QTII?

2) Is it going to be difficult to find a Limited (with QTII) with 30k miles or less and for under $30k?

3) Should I not hold out for a QTII?

Regarding question #3: I realize I am the only one that can truly answer that but your wisdom and advice would be appreciated. Here's my 4WD usage and/or future expectations.

a) I need 4WD for snow - No brainer, QTI will do.

b) I need 4WD for hunting which 99% of the time I take my vehicle on decent 2 tracks and fileds. There are times where the 2 tracks are muddy, in grassy fields could have standing water. Otherwise, not bad terrain.

Same when camping.

c) I most likely will not be doing much, if any, "trail" riding or exploring. It's something I would like to do but never get around to doing it. Just no time. But what if I decide to do this 1 time a year... maybe even less. Is it really worth holding out for a QTII for a "maybe" scenario?

d) I may get a small fishing boat. Do I need a QTII for launching or will a QTI suffice?

I appreciate any and all advice you are willing to offer.

Jiffster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

QTI will certainly suffice. Many here take their QTI WK2s just about anywhere.

QTII give you low range which is helpful for very slow going or better torque control when launching a boat, but certainly not necessary.

Most WK2s Laredos were built with QTI and V6.
Unread 02-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Have had 4 Jeeps with 4 wheel drive low range. Never used the low range once. Was able to negotiate some pretty nasty off road stuff in the AZ. desert in 4 high range, no problems. I think the only time I would have used 4 low would have been trying to pull something heavy or climbing a very steep hill and wanted max engine power low speed.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
Kev M
2012 WK 

You DEFINITELY don't need it for snow or the boat, and I honestly don't think you'll need it for hunting or camping either.

Though have used the dial to select SNOW, or SAND for appropriate conditions, I've still not used the low range. Oh wait, I did use the low range ONCE, when I was pulling a high-centered Jeep Wrangler Unlimited off a sand dune. That was it, and honestly, it came off so easily with a little tug that I probably didn't need it for that.

Yeah, I enjoy having it, but from your description I'd say you probably don't need it.

EDIT - I've launched many boats with multiple tow vehicles (mostly Jeeps) and NEVER used or needed low range for it.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
Jiffster
2011 WK 

Thanks for the advice folks. I think the fact that you can only select D (Drive) instead of 1st or 2nd gear makes me feel like the Jeep wouldn't have enough torque when needed (i.e. small to moderate hills).

Sounds like that wouldn't be a problem. Probably need to work on my "offroad" skills, huh?
Unread 02-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Depending on the year you can slap the gearshift left or right to pick a gear other than D, but its an auto, it will start out in 1st and shift gears to provide the proper ratio for the load and speed.
Unread 02-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Jiffster
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Depending on the year you can slap the gearshift left or right to pick a gear other than D, but its an auto, it will start out in 1st and shift gears to provide the proper ratio for the load and speed.
I have to learn to trust the vehicle.
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffster View Post
I'm finding the Laredo's with the X package have the features I want. Every one I've seen so far has a QTI. These have averaged approx 25k miles for $26-27k.

1) Is it going to be next to impossible to find a Laredo X with a QTII?
I found a laredo X with QTII, took me about a month of daily searching to find one, and I had to travel one state over to get it. There were a few in my area but they wanted too much money IMO.

I dont think they are hard to find at all, but its hard to find one for a good price
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
Jiffster
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rok View Post
I found a laredo X with QTII, took me about a month of daily searching to find one, and I had to travel one state over to get it. There were a few in my area but they wanted too much money IMO.

I dont think they are hard to find at all, but its hard to find one for a good price
How did you go about searching..... Did you have to look at every VIN for all the laredo X's you found?
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffster View Post
How did you go about searching..... Did you have to look at every VIN for all the laredo X's you found?
craigslist and auto trader for the most part. I was looking for a V8 for that made narrowing the search down a little easier. Still had to go out of state for a deal. Finalized the deal for the most part before I left, flew down to the dealer and drove back. Saved about 5-7k doing so. Not sure if you wanted the V8 or V6. I was worried about the 11-13 V6 being agonizingly slow with the 5 speed.
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Jiffster
2011 WK 

It's the gas mileage of the V8 that pushes me towards the V6. I drive 90+ miles on weekdays. The '11 V6 I drove seemed to have plenty of pep.
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
eibyer

Models with the all weather group also gives you the QTII like what I have in my Laredo E. It doesn't have the leather seats but you get the remote start, tow hooks, engine block heat and stuff. If you add a 430N, it's almost like an X
eibyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #13
Jiffster
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eibyer View Post
Models with the all weather group also gives you the QTII like what I have in my Laredo E. It doesn't have the leather seats but you get the remote start, tow hooks, engine block heat and stuff. If you add a 430N, it's almost like an X
I was wondering exactly what the all weather group is and who's it intended for?
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #14
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eibyer View Post
almost
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
midnightrambler
2012 WK 

QT I is the same system used in the Mercedes ML models. QT II is the system Jeep devised to give more traditional Jeep off-roading potential.

So QT I is perfectly capable for most on-road conditions. If you're going off-road, QT II gives you extra capabilities and the ability to crawl in low-range.

I'm happy with the relative simplicity of QT I for the driving I do. YMMV.
midnightrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.