Seat belt chime disable - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Seat belt chime disable

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Mojo51
2012 WK 

Seat belt chime disable

I disabled the seat belt chime. Is there anyway to get the information screen to stop flashing that the seat belt isn't fastened? It's really annoying.

Mojo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
WvTaco
2011 WK 

i think if u push down three times on the red part of the latch it will turn it off till u restart, or was that dads outback.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
ljvb

The bigger question is why... not using your seatbelt is illegal. Is it really that hard to spend 5 seconds buckling up...
Unread 12-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Mojo51
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
The bigger question is why... not using your seatbelt is illegal. Is it really that hard to spend 5 seconds buckling up...
I didn't ask for a lecture. If you didn't have an answer to my question then I didn't need your opinion.
Unread 12-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
camaro307
2011 WK 

I have also been curious about this. How did you disable the chime in the first place, was it just a fuse?
In the case of big game hunting, spotting something then getting out of your jeep to go after it, and having the seat belt chime or door chime go off scaring everything off isn't desirable.
It's also annoying to simply drive down your own driveway - private property where speed limit and seat belt laws don't apply, to simply pick up the mail I don't need to have dinging noises the whole way.
camaro307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Redboots
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I agree, if you want to disable it, do so. I disabled mine because I spend a lot of time on dirt roads and getting in and out to open ranch gates. I hated that thing dinging at me all the time. If I don't want my belt on, a couple second reminder is okay, but that thing seemed to never quit. Same with the DRL's, I pulled the relays on them, why ride around in daylight offroad with your lights on?
Redboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
ecupip

I always use my belts even when driving in a parking lot, but I do not understand why it is illegal at all. If someone wants to kill themselves it should be there business.
Unread 12-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
Mojo51
2012 WK 

I agree it's a matter of choice of when and where you are. Thanks guys
Unread 12-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
plynn7
2014 WK 

Incase anyone needs the instructions on how to turn off the chime.

To remove seatbelt chime
1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and fasten the drivers seatbelt.
2. Start engine, and wait for Seat Belt warning light to turn OFF.
3. Within 60 seconds of starting engine, unbuckle and then re-buckle driver's seat belt at least 3 times, ending with belt buckled.
4. Turn off the engine. A single chime will sound to signify that your life is in your own hands.

It can take several tries to get it disabled.
plynn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
david484

I know this thread has been dead for over a year (this thread) but the reason why it's illegal to drive without seatbelt is because of the money that is involved. Thank outside the box for a few moments. I believe in freedoms, but if it's gonna cost me more cash, then no. So here what is involved; I work for a city hospital for a city that is broke, citizens that are broke too. If someone comes into ER from a car wreck without wearing their seatbelt, either the hospital or the state taxes are gonna fund restoring that guys life, because in our society we cannot let an adult die unless if they choose Do Not resuscitate (medical DNR) (but it is ok for babies to die, just not adults). So that is one reason, taxes and/or lost wages for employee's.
The person who gets in a wreck may have a job, and their employer needs to scramble for replacement, time=money. Last reason, and this is happens with other situations, auto insurance premiums. Premiums are based on the location you live in, the premiums i pay for the same coverage, would not be the same for L.A., CA for instance. If a state allowed no seatbelts, auto insurance premiums would go up to cover the cost of those who get injured. Seatbelts save lifes and most importantly, they reduce injuries.

And for game hunting? Wouldn't the engine noise scare them away too? Or the latch opening? Or any of the other number of sounds a car makes?

note to self: don't take my minivan that backfires to a hunting competition.
david484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Berk483
2013 WK 

I'm pretty sure we all know the benefits from wearing a seat-belt. The discussion was for those that want to disable the chime for when we are getting in and out frequently, normally off-road and/or on our own property and we don't want to hear the chime going off incessantly. Nobody will argue about saving lives and less injuries...well it is the internet so someone probably will.
Berk483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Chimes off

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. Now I can turn mine off since they were annoying this weekend when I was working a herding trial. I was crossing fields and needed to close and open gates and get my collie out the hatch from her crate to move sheep. There was no reason to buckle up and the chime is annoying.

On public highways I always buckle up and anyone who doesnt who is injured in an accident that is their fault should be left to die. Same with no helmet than no medical care. We need to cull fools like you from population and prevent you from reproducing.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Or you could just buckle it with the belt behind you while seated. Less work.

Items for sale. See my thread for pictures. PM for details.

K&N 77 series cold air intake

Cobra 75 CB radio
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #14
technique

i just think its funny that motorcyles are legal but not wearing your seatbelt isnt
technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #15
technique

and for that matter not wearing your helmet on a motorcycle is legal here in ct but not wearing your seatbelt isn't
technique is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.