Sand and QTI - QTII all wheel drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Sand and QTI - QTII all wheel drive

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi50" SINGLE ROW PANDEMIC LED Light bar FEATURES 4D Opt

Unread 06-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
nha11

Question Sand and QTI - QTII all wheel drive

Hello,

New member here. I am looking to purchase a used Grand Cherokee and am trying to decide between a Laredo and a Limited. One thing I am concerned about is the 4WD system on each.

I found this excellent post about the three different 4WD systems. Excellent info, I've been reading a rereading.

It seems that the Quadra-Trac I in the Laredo will be great for the winter snow. However, I also plan to use the GC for drive on beaches on the Eastern Shore. From other drivers experience, do you think the QTII system is necessary for driving on sand as it allows for the finer control?

I figured if I can't try it myself, the next best thing would be to ask other drivers.

Thanks for your time.

nha11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

On hard pack, probably not much difference, but on softer stuff you want to keep the momentum going and the QTII sand traction mode helps do that (its not 4Low). QTI will depend entirely on brake traction control.

I don't have a lot of experience, but some here drive routinely on beaches and should jump in here with advice within a day or so.
Unread 06-24-2015, 07:02 AM   #3
nha11

Thanks, ColdCase. That's along the lines I was thinking. The beach is usually packed but sometimes (and in some places) it's not. I know deflating the tires will assist but perhaps I'll also want the control of the QTII system.

I actually prefer the asthetics of the Laredo to the Limited (of the two particular vehicles I am considering). Just want to make sure I've considered everything.

Thanks
Unread 06-24-2015, 07:20 AM   #4
loveracing1988

They do make the Laredo with the cold weather group or the off road group, both of which would include qt2. I've never driven the qt1 system on sand, but right after we first got my wife's jeep I took it in some sand that was much looser than I expected. I wasn't going anywhere in auto, switched to sand and backed right out like it was nothing. Granted I might have been able to do the same in auto with the TCS shut off, but sand mode impressed me quite a bit with that.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
kryogen
2011 WK 

Quadra drive is unstoppable....

I would personally get at least QT2 if you plan to get in deep sand or snow.
Unread 06-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
marko138
2011 WK 

I had my QT1 equipped Laredo X on the beach in North Carolina last week. It had absolutely zero issues. In fact, it was much better in the sand than my 2005 WK with QT1. Zero issues. I was also at 20psi.

This is Sound side...which is much easier going than ocean side....but I had no trouble in very fine and very deep sand on ocean side.

marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #7
peckmv

Unless your going to go in some really soft sand or on the dunes all you really need is 2wd. The most important thing is to air down to 15-20 psi. I went on Assateague Island many times with just 2wd with no problems. They don't allow you in the dunes there and if you stay in the tracks you'll be fine. I do recommend you have a shovel, board, and a good jack. On Assateague these things are required. Then don't forget to wash your truck down including the undercarrage and brakes. Sand gets into everything, and I mean everything.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
nha11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckmv View Post
I went on Assateague Island many times with just 2wd with no problems. They don't allow you in the dunes there and if you stay in the tracks you'll be fine. I do recommend you have a shovel, board, and a good jack. On Assateague these things are required. Then don't forget to wash your truck down including the undercarrage and brakes.
Assateague is exactly where I am planning to take this. Good to know that I wouldn't have any issues. Thanks for the response.
Unread 06-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by nha11 View Post
Assateague is exactly where I am planning to take this. Good to know that I wouldn't have any issues. Thanks for the response.
You will need a ORV permit also. Here's a link with all the info you'll need. Have fun.

http://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvisit/osv.htm
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.