Salesman told not to touch the Selec-Terrain !!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Salesman told not to touch the Selec-Terrain !!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Webb
2012 WK 

Salesman told not to touch the Selec-Terrain !!!

He said the Jeep runs AWD all the time and "senses" which terrain you're driving...Then changes automatically giving torque to the weakest wheel.

So why is the select terrain's there for ?

Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
efrench515
2012 WK 

You do not have to use Select-Terrain but it can sure help.
You can find more info here
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_selec-terrain.htm

If you only drive on road, you may prefer the rear drive feel sport mode provides
if you get a lot of snow , snow mode helps by starting out in second
Mud/Sand is my choice whenever I am off the beaten path as it turns off some of the electronic nanies

Basically it is your Jeep do what you want
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
steveo777

Time for a new dealer. Its time they know what they are selling and how it works.
steveo777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Greg012GCO
2012 WK 

Guy in the parts dept told me I should have gotten the trail rated stuff from the factory. I told him if the salesman knew a damn thing about what they sell I might have thought about it. How the hell was I supposed to know that the Overland with selec-terrain and off road air suspension didn't have skid plates? The sales guys didn't hardly know anything about anything. Fortunately I knew just enough at the time that I'm very please I got what I did.
Greg012GCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
fitterdude
2011 WK 

The off road adventure package, which makes it trail rated, and the towing package were the two most important options I had to have when I bought mine, after all, it is a JEEP.
fitterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
peckmv

I found the same thing. I did a lot of research before I went to the dealer, therefore I knew more about the JGC than the salesman did. If I was in sales I would know my products so I could tout the features and make a sale. No customer wants to hear...."I'll check into that and get back to you" or " I'm not sure".
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
Jdsmitty10

I knew more than my salesman when I placed my order a few weeks ago. He actually asked if I did alot of research. Hahah.. But we were trying to decide on color and it was between stone white and red. They didn't have a wk2 in stone white so he tried to tell me te brigt white compass was the same color. I was like uhhhh, no not really..
Jdsmitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsmitty10 View Post
I knew more than my salesman when I placed my order a few weeks ago. He actually asked if I did alot of research. Hahah.. But we were trying to decide on color and it was between stone white and red. They didn't have a wk2 in stone white so he tried to tell me te brigt white compass was the same color. I was like uhhhh, no not really..
The colors do cross over on some models. They didn't have any 2012's when I ordered mine but they did have a deep cherry red in a Wrangler so I got to see the color I chose. What did you finally decide for color?
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
Carange334

Wait.. that first comment by Webb with the truck being AWD was totally incorrect right? Its RWD when you dont have 4x4 on correct?
Carange334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Jdsmitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckmv View Post
The colors do cross over on some models. They didn't have any 2012's when I ordered mine but they did have a deep cherry red in a Wrangler so I got to see the color I chose. What did you finally decide for color?
Ended up with white. Liked red in sunlight but was too dark/maroon in shade or overcast. I just thought it was funny he said here was not difference in stone white or bright white. There's def a difference and it was a bright white compass he was showing me...
Jdsmitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

My salesman told me I'd never need to change the Selec-Terrain setting too. The Snow setting sure helped when we had a couple 8"+ snow falls though. Also, he was demoing the Nav for us before we bought ours and he said "never hit the "Hide Nav" button because you'll not be able to get the Nav screen back"...what? Seriously, does Jeep not have a good training program for salesmen for new models or what? I know that car salesmen aren't what I'd call 'academics', but at least know your own vehicles better than I do after about 1 hour of internet research.
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #12
WvTaco
2011 WK 

i wish our nav did what my dads old 2010 f150 did.
not his but the feature
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carange334 View Post
Wait.. that first comment by Webb with the truck being AWD was totally incorrect right? Its RWD when you dont have 4x4 on correct?
Webb was correct.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...stems-1177616/

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
77rednecktruck

My opinion is that the select terrain is there for the air suspension settings. On a non-QL JGC, it doesn't really matter what mode you are in 99.9% of the time. The Jeep is not a 4x4 but an AWD system IMO. It's more Subaru than Wrangler. Not that that is a bad thing but...

I do like the tow/haul button though. That actually makes a noticable difference in shifting (Both up and down) and engine braking on downhills. I really can't tell the difference in the modes except for snow which starts in 2nd.
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #15
Syndicate
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvTaco View Post
i wish our nav did what my dads old 2010 f150 did.
not his but the feature
What feature are you refering to? Mine looks just like that, except for the climate controls. Only thing the nav doesn't do is give you the ETA...just time enroute...I don't like using my brain to compute the time
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.