Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Salesman told not to touch the Selec-Terrain !!!

11K views 42 replies 33 participants last post by  chowner 
#1 ·
He said the Jeep runs AWD all the time and "senses" which terrain you're driving...Then changes automatically giving torque to the weakest wheel.

So why is the select terrain's there for ? :nono:

#2 ·
You do not have to use Select-Terrain but it can sure help.
You can find more info here
http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_selec-terrain.htm

If you only drive on road, you may prefer the rear drive feel sport mode provides
if you get a lot of snow , snow mode helps by starting out in second
Mud/Sand is my choice whenever I am off the beaten path as it turns off some of the electronic nanies

Basically it is your Jeep do what you want

#4 ·
Guy in the parts dept told me I should have gotten the trail rated stuff from the factory. I told him if the salesman knew a damn thing about what they sell I might have thought about it. How the hell was I supposed to know that the Overland with selec-terrain and off road air suspension didn't have skid plates? The sales guys didn't hardly know anything about anything. Fortunately I knew just enough at the time that I'm very please I got what I did.

#6 ·
I found the same thing. I did a lot of research before I went to the dealer, therefore I knew more about the JGC than the salesman did. If I was in sales I would know my products so I could tout the features and make a sale. No customer wants to hear...."I'll check into that and get back to you" or " I'm not sure". :dunno:

#7 ·
I knew more than my salesman when I placed my order a few weeks ago. He actually asked if I did alot of research. Hahah.. But we were trying to decide on color and it was between stone white and red. They didn't have a wk2 in stone white so he tried to tell me te brigt white compass was the same color. I was like uhhhh, no not really..

#11 ·
My salesman told me I'd never need to change the Selec-Terrain setting too. The Snow setting sure helped when we had a couple 8"+ snow falls though. Also, he was demoing the Nav for us before we bought ours and he said "never hit the "Hide Nav" button because you'll not be able to get the Nav screen back"...what? Seriously, does Jeep not have a good training program for salesmen for new models or what? I know that car salesmen aren't what I'd call 'academics', but at least know your own vehicles better than I do after about 1 hour of internet research.

#15 ·
What feature are you refering to? Mine looks just like that, except for the climate controls. Only thing the nav doesn't do is give you the ETA...just time enroute...I don't like using my brain to compute the time :)

#14 ·
My opinion is that the select terrain is there for the air suspension settings. On a non-QL JGC, it doesn't really matter what mode you are in 99.9% of the time. The Jeep is not a 4x4 but an AWD system IMO. It's more Subaru than Wrangler. Not that that is a bad thing but...

I do like the tow/haul button though. That actually makes a noticable difference in shifting (Both up and down) and engine braking on downhills. I really can't tell the difference in the modes except for snow which starts in 2nd.

#16 ·
In "Auto" the SelectTerrain uses speed senors, engine load, and ABS sensors to factor into an algorithm that the engineers programmed to change modes "behind the scenes" without driver input. The vehicle obviously can't see, so if you want it to stay on one mode, an over-ride I'd call it, you have the SelecTerrain. It really comes into play more when you are in 4-Low going off-road. For most of your driving on-road, the "Auto" will be placing most of the engine torque to the rear wheels like it would do if you chose "Sport" and then adjust from there as it senses wheel slip. If you select "Sport" manually for example, you would not only direct more torque to the rear wheels (never will it be in 2WD, it's a full time 4WD/AWD system) but you would also alter the transmission shift points higher in the rpm range for more spirited street performance. If you drive like a wild teen, the "Auto" mode will also over time adjust the shift points to suit your driving style as long as you keep driving that way. It constantly adjusts.

#18 ·
Greg, why did they say you should have gotten factory skids? I have an Overland with everything but hooks and skids. I went in for a Durango and somehow left with a jeep. I was thinking about adding the hooks and skids but you just scared me. If there an issue with putting them in after?

#20 ·
The salespeople are told to never touch anything. So they think that is good advice to pass on. :nuts:

#21 ·
Wow! If that's true, how can they learn what/why the knob or buttons are there to begin with.

I can't believe that messing with those options would cause such an issue that whatever happened couldn't be unfubared.

#22 ·
henrysko said:
Wow! If that's true, how can they learn what/why the knob or buttons are there to begin with.

I can't believe that messing with those options would cause such an issue that whatever happened couldn't be unfubared.
My sales man got me and the wife to sit in the jeep and run us over all the gear in it before we left the dealer .

#27 ·
I got lucky when I bought mine. My salesman was the on-sight guru. He was very knowledgeable. It was the first for me -- as I typically know way more than the salesman. While I was there, many other salesmen would come to him for answers. I knew I was in good hands.

^ Yes -- I miss the screen and THXII system on my Lincoln. It was nice splitting the screen in 3. I always ran like that.

#28 ·
First Jeep complaint

I Have a 2013 jgc and a 2014 cherokee Trailhawk. For some odd reason I just now had to drive to golf. Clubs don't fit in either horizontally! You have to be ****ting me. Never did I imagine this would be an issue. Of course my friend sorrento has more cargo space. Stupid jeeps.

#32 ·
First Jeep complaint

I Have a 2013 jgc and a 2014 cherokee Trailhawk. For some odd reason I just now had to drive to golf. Clubs don't fit in either horizontally! You have to be ****ting me. Never did I imagine this would be an issue. Of course my friend sorrento has more cargo space. Stupid jeeps.
This was talked about often a couple years ago... there are ways to manage. So you would rather be driving a Sorrento ? :)

#30 ·
fatnipples said:
First Jeep complaint I Have a 2013 jgc and a 2014 cherokee Trailhawk. For some odd reason I just now had to drive to golf. Clubs don't fit in either horizontally! You have to be ****ting me. Never did I imagine this would be an issue. Of course my friend sorrento has more cargo space. Stupid jeeps.
I am avid golfer and freaked out when I first outy clubs in the back of my 2012 GC. They do fit, place top top of the bag in the little cut out toward the left horizontally in the cargo area. Put the driver and 3 wood in the opening on the left side and the bag will fit horizontally. The Cherokee is another story. They probably don't fit.

#31 ·
Duh

Did you bring your golf bag(s) along for a test fit. When I was looking for a vehicle to replace my Element back in the late Spring of 2012 I put two dog crates and my two collies in the Element and went a test driving. Now I called ahead to the Toyota, Jeep, Honda, Audi, Acura, Land Rover, BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes dealers I was going to and set up appointments with their sales morons. Nothing is more fun than watching BMW and Lexus dealership folks freak out when you pull crates and dogs out, Mercedes was very stoic, Audi sales manager came out and said no way so we left, and Jeep and Land Rover dealers were cool.

#39 ·
Salespeople that don't know what they are selling seems to be getting more common. I even went to a vacuum cleaner repair shop trying to find a HEPA filter for our vacuum and the parts guy said there wasn't one for my model. I went back the next day with a photo of our vacuum with the HEPA filter sticker on the side and then he finally looked it up and managed to find the part number.

#40 ·
That's why

I have a Dyson. No expensive HEPA filters to replace. Dyson has a filter that you can wash yourself to clean. Dyson is the only vacuum cleaner that really works on dog fur. Nothing else comes close from Meile,Electrolux, Hoover at al. Dyson's are worth the money. No bags either. Best thing the Brits ever designed and its damn reliable too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.