Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Salesman told me not to go through car washes?

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Bfluery 
#1 ·
Has anyone else been advised by thier dealer that the WK2 should not be taken through automated carwashes? I'm not seeing what the big deal is, but he seemed rather convinced that doing so would not be good for the vehicle for whatever reason... The antenae? I can remove that before going through... Maybe some sensors will get messed up?

:confused:

#3 ·
The other thought is, if the vehicle is brand new (i.e., just delivered from the factory) I know that it's wise to wait several weeks before going through a high pressure car wash as the paint may still be soft. I've heard that from dealers over the years as I've been one to order a lot of the vehicles I buy, and end up taking delivery within a few days of manufacture.

As for your "antennae" comment, does the new GC even have an "antennae"? I thought those pretty much went the way of the dodo! Mostly, cars just have the antennae embedded into the windshield or rear glass now. I can't remember seeing an antennae on the GC I test drove, but maybe I just missed it.

Joe

#6 ·
The other thought is, if the vehicle is brand new (i.e., just delivered from the factory) I know that it's wise to wait several weeks before going through a high pressure car wash as the paint may still be soft.
Maybe 50 years ago, but modern paints are good to go by the time they reach you;)

#7 ·
Perhaps, but in 2005, I leased a GMC Yukon XL which at the time was manufactured in Janesville, WI - just down the road from me, and when it was delivered, the service manager was adamant that I "not run it through an auto wash for a few weeks - siting the "fresh paint". It left the factory on a Tuesday, I and took delivery that Friday. Likewise, my wife's last vehicle was a 2007 BMW X5 which are made in SC I think. Same thing, when delivered I was told to just "hand wash it" the first couple of times. Perhaps it's all BS, but I followed the instructions nonetheless.

Joe

#8 ·
folks, there is nothing worse for any car's finish than running it thru one of those automatic car wash systems. you are better off leaving the grime on the finish than running it thru those nasty aggresive dirty brushes. its like using one toothbrush for all of New York City's residents!

hand washing is the only way one should clean a car's finish.

so yes, the dealer was correct.

#9 ·
folks, there is nothing worse for any car's finish than running it thru one of those automatic car wash systems. you are better off leaving the grime on the finish than running it thru those nasty aggresive dirty brushes. its like using one toothbrush for all of New York City's residents!

hand washing is the only way one should clean a car's finish.

so yes, the dealer was correct.
I wasn't aware that brush car washes still exist...I haven't seen one in probably 10 years. :laugh:

#12 ·
Ever seen 5 year old cars with peeling clearcoat on the hood, bumpers, tops of the fenders? Those automated car washes are BRUTAL on paint. I'll sacrifice my "precious" time to preserve my investment. No time? Take it to a detail shop. Often a hand wash is like $20 which is not bad. Another trick I've used is just washing the windows until I have make time to wash it (or find a non-rainy day). That way I can still see, the wipers work well, etc.

#13 ·
Ok, you guys need to climb into the 21st century. Modern car washes (not the $5 gas station variety) are not nearly as abusive as you have been lead to believe. If the car wash uses the latest brush technology it's no more brutal on the finish than any other form that touches the car. Touchless are also a misnomer as the chemicals used to actually break up the dirt can be more harmful than the modern soft brushes. In addition, you are forcing pressurized water in places and directions the engineers never intended and can cause damage to weather seals and some exposed electronics.

Of course if the wash is poorly maintained then all bets are off but I'm sure everyone knows which are got good ones and which you should stay away from in their respective towns.

There's not a darn thing wrong with using a quality automatic car wash on any vehicle that's been delivered to a new car lot. Paint cure times on the low VOC finishes used today can be measured in hours not weeks or months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.