Salesman told me not to go through car washes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Salesman told me not to go through car washes?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
Qrex
2011 WK 

Salesman told me not to go through car washes?

Has anyone else been advised by thier dealer that the WK2 should not be taken through automated carwashes? I'm not seeing what the big deal is, but he seemed rather convinced that doing so would not be good for the vehicle for whatever reason... The antenae? I can remove that before going through... Maybe some sensors will get messed up?

Qrex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

the car washes with brushes are not good for any vehicles. they catch rocks and can eaisly scratch your paint. otherwise touchless are fine, i even go in with my wrangler
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
WK24ME

The other thought is, if the vehicle is brand new (i.e., just delivered from the factory) I know that it's wise to wait several weeks before going through a high pressure car wash as the paint may still be soft. I've heard that from dealers over the years as I've been one to order a lot of the vehicles I buy, and end up taking delivery within a few days of manufacture.

As for your "antennae" comment, does the new GC even have an "antennae"? I thought those pretty much went the way of the dodo! Mostly, cars just have the antennae embedded into the windshield or rear glass now. I can't remember seeing an antennae on the GC I test drove, but maybe I just missed it.

Joe
WK24ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
kolky
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, it has one on the roof.
[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="3"]Yellow Jeep Club #1224[/SIZE][/COLOR]
kolky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
RedZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolky View Post
Yes, it has one on the roof.

Besides, Be a proud jeep owner and take 20 minutes and make clean your own jeep.
RedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK24ME View Post
The other thought is, if the vehicle is brand new (i.e., just delivered from the factory) I know that it's wise to wait several weeks before going through a high pressure car wash as the paint may still be soft.
Maybe 50 years ago, but modern paints are good to go by the time they reach you
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
WK24ME

Perhaps, but in 2005, I leased a GMC Yukon XL which at the time was manufactured in Janesville, WI - just down the road from me, and when it was delivered, the service manager was adamant that I "not run it through an auto wash for a few weeks - siting the "fresh paint". It left the factory on a Tuesday, I and took delivery that Friday. Likewise, my wife's last vehicle was a 2007 BMW X5 which are made in SC I think. Same thing, when delivered I was told to just "hand wash it" the first couple of times. Perhaps it's all BS, but I followed the instructions nonetheless.

Joe
WK24ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
Marcus86GLHS

folks, there is nothing worse for any car's finish than running it thru one of those automatic car wash systems. you are better off leaving the grime on the finish than running it thru those nasty aggresive dirty brushes. its like using one toothbrush for all of New York City's residents!

hand washing is the only way one should clean a car's finish.

so yes, the dealer was correct.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
folks, there is nothing worse for any car's finish than running it thru one of those automatic car wash systems. you are better off leaving the grime on the finish than running it thru those nasty aggresive dirty brushes. its like using one toothbrush for all of New York City's residents!

I wasn't aware that brush car washes still exist...I haven't seen one in probably 10 years.
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
Snipe315
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post

Great advice...

For those who have 30 - 45 minutes to wash and dry their vehicles. Some of us have very busy lives and can't afford to hand wash all the time.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/poll-wk2-owners-ql-1154625/
Snipe315 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:43 AM   #11
Marcus86GLHS

even those "touchless/brushless" systems used re-cycled water and heavy chemicals fired at your car at extreme pressures that strip your finish of its shine very quickly. oh theres no dirt, but no shine either.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Ever seen 5 year old cars with peeling clearcoat on the hood, bumpers, tops of the fenders? Those automated car washes are BRUTAL on paint. I'll sacrifice my "precious" time to preserve my investment. No time? Take it to a detail shop. Often a hand wash is like $20 which is not bad. Another trick I've used is just washing the windows until I have make time to wash it (or find a non-rainy day). That way I can still see, the wipers work well, etc.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #13
mjw930

Ok, you guys need to climb into the 21st century. Modern car washes (not the $5 gas station variety) are not nearly as abusive as you have been lead to believe. If the car wash uses the latest brush technology it's no more brutal on the finish than any other form that touches the car. Touchless are also a misnomer as the chemicals used to actually break up the dirt can be more harmful than the modern soft brushes. In addition, you are forcing pressurized water in places and directions the engineers never intended and can cause damage to weather seals and some exposed electronics.

Of course if the wash is poorly maintained then all bets are off but I'm sure everyone knows which are got good ones and which you should stay away from in their respective towns.

There's not a darn thing wrong with using a quality automatic car wash on any vehicle that's been delivered to a new car lot. Paint cure times on the low VOC finishes used today can be measured in hours not weeks or months.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
Bfluery
2011 WK 

Not to mention people who live in freezing weather don't have much choice except auto car washes in the winter to get the salt off
Bfluery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.