Rusty Axle Spindle '11 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
View Poll Results: Do you think Chrysler/Jeep should cover this under warranty?
Yes 18 60.00%
No 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
JDLalama
2011 WK 

Question Rusty Axle Spindle '11 Grand Cherokee

Hello,

Have any of you removed your wheels from your Grand Cherokee? I had a flat two weeks ago and removed my 20" aluminum wheel and discovered what is pictured. I have a claim number from Chrysler and I am waiting on a response. I am concerned about what seems to be accelerated rust on a vehicle that is only 15 months old and only has 15600 miles on it. Has any one out there noticed similar corrosion?

Attached Thumbnails
FL.jpg   FR.jpg   RL.jpg   RRa.jpg   RRb.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 07-02-2012, 04:45 PM
WvTaco
2011 WK 

yep mines was same way, i sanded and coated with anti seize.
post #3 of 65 Old 07-02-2012, 05:52 PM
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

PA dumps calcium chloride or salt the roads in the winter. Chrysler doesn't make them or make you drive in it.

That is the result of driving it through the winter on salted roads and not washing it regularly. Chrysler is at no fault what so ever.

post #4 of 65 Old 07-02-2012, 06:22 PM
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
pa dumps calcium chloride or salt the roads in the winter. Chrysler doesn't make them or make you drive in it.

That is the result of driving it through the winter on salted roads and not washing it regularly. Chrysler is at no fault what so ever.

+1
post #5 of 65 Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 PM
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
PA dumps calcium chloride or salt the roads in the winter. Chrysler doesn't make them or make you drive in it.

+2 on this. Unfortunately we're all at the mercy of the State's that like to put chemicals and salt on the road here in the Northeast. I try to keep my undercarriage and wheels sprayed down at least once a week all winter to avoid this but there's not a lot we can do.

2011 Laredo V6, OR1, RR 2.5" lift, ProComp 7036 wheels, 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country AT's - SOLD
post #6 of 65 Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Webb

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post

How can you wash inside that ? Take the wheels off and wash it ?

2012 Limited 4X4 Hemi,Maximum Steel Metallic ,730n & 20's.Average 9K's a year.
post #7 of 65 Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 PM
padgett
2012 WK 

It is nice to live where rust must be imported.

One of these is a turbo diesel.

We take in orphans. Notary Sojac y'all.
post #8 of 65 Old 07-03-2012, 02:09 PM
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

I guess we haven't really answered the original question - although it sucks that we have to deal with road chemicals and salt, i'm not sure that a vehicle with 3k miles should look like that.
I haven't had my wheels off myself, but that does look like a lot of corrosion to me. Now that I think of it, I've had vehicles that are 5+ years old or more and they haven't looked that bad. Maybe there something wrong
and Jeep will take care of it? Please keep us updated.

2011 Laredo V6, OR1, RR 2.5" lift, ProComp 7036 wheels, 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country AT's - SOLD
post #9 of 65 Old 07-03-2012, 02:59 PM
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineJeep11
I guess we haven't really answered the original question - although it sucks that we have to deal with road chemicals and salt, i'm not sure that a vehicle with 3k miles should look like that.
I haven't had my wheels off myself, but that does look like a lot of corrosion to me. Now that I think of it, I've had vehicles that are 5+ years old or more and they haven't looked that bad. Maybe there something wrong
and Jeep will take care of it? Please keep us updated.
Almost 16k, not 3k. Dissimilar metals in the presence of an elctrolyte, this isn't too surprising.

Slather anti-seize on the back of the wheel on the mating surface and rinse the vehicle off once a week in winter. Painting the hubs would also help some.
post #10 of 65 Old 07-03-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
JDLalama
2011 WK 

Post I'm listening...

I'm listening to all of your opinions and appreciate them as I hope you appreciate mine. I started this thread in our best interest, in hopes that owners will look at there new Jeep Grand Cherokees and if still under warranty call Chrysler and bring it to your preferred car dealership. I have a case number, the dealer took pictures, Jeep called me back today to let me know they are looking into it and are waiting on pictures.

The statement,"PA dumps calcium chloride or salt the roads in the winter. Chrysler doesn't make them or make you drive in it." is true. PA uses salts and other items to assist our driving safety in the winter months and no one made me buy a Jeep or forced me to use there product, but something isn't correct here. We had a mild winter in PA, my vehicle has only been in service 15 months and yesterday my vehicle only had 15611 miles on the odometer. I have factory aluminum wheels, that were already on the vehicle, that I wasn't forced to buy, as an option, off of Jeep and yes I am aware of the reaction that dissimilar metals corrode when not prepared properly. Is Jeep? I'm no metallurgist, but I would have to guess the chemistry of the steel is poor or possibly out of specs for it's intended use. I have only ever owned two new vehicles, this being on of them and I feel fortunate two have been able to purchase them, but knowing the rest of them were used, driving them in PA, some of them having aluminum wheels... none of them ever looked like the pictures I shared.

I like the Jeep. I never owned a Jeep before, but always liked them. I hope to get good service out of the vehicle and Jeep will come to a solution.

Also, my cargo blind, the handle you draw and retract it with, it cracked. The two screws that hold the plastic handle on just crumbled over a short period of time. The dealer replaced the entire blind yesterday under warranty and less than 24 hours later and me only using it twice the plastic is cracked again only to have the same demise. Keep an eye on that too.

I will keep all of you updated. If you are able to celebrate the 4th of July do it safely.
post #11 of 65 Old 07-05-2012, 08:14 AM
drballard33
2011 WK 

I agree with you that it seems like a lot of rust so quickly, I usually drive my vehicles for at least 100,000 miles in the same conditions as you (salty roads, nasty winters) and havent seen rust like that on those vehicles. Although it may be easy for some to rinse off their wheels every few days in the winter, its not easy for others. At the same time, I am not sure if Chrysler will do anything about it, but take the advice given and try and coat them with some anti-seize for now.
post #12 of 65 Old 07-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Dr. Internet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Steel + oxygen = rust, or more specifically, ferric oxide. Any type of salt accelerates the process. The vehcile could have been parked where it was spashed with chemicals and not rinsed.
When I was in the canoe club (USN) if we left bare steel for 24 hours it rusted. A week and it was replaced.
To protect you must put something between the steel and the oxygen; paint, oil, grease, plastic, epoxy, something.
My advice (zero charge, so take it with a grain...) would be to clean it up, put it together and shoot a little zinc chromate on there. That should stop the rust. And, rinse it every time you get home from driving in the slush.
Start a crusade to make the gov stop putting salt on your roads. You have a Jeep - you don't care if it snows.

Steve

2012 Black GC Overland Summit 4x4 2006 Red LJ Rubi
USN Club Hull TJ-13 TX Jeep Club #29
post #13 of 65 Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Everyone keeps talking about "rinsing" - how are you going to rinse that without removing the wheels? Am I missing something obvious?

post #14 of 65 Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Dr. Internet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If the spindle and nut were in a waterproof container, there would not be any rust. I would just take the hose and squirt it into the wheel and spindle area. The water will get in there and wash out the salt.

When I lived in MO, where it actually gets cold, snows, and I can't remember what else, I had a cold water faucet in my garage with a hose hooked up. I would pull into the garage, grab the hose and squirt the wheels, bumpers, and up under the wheel wells. It didn't prevent the rust, but it helped to get the salt out, which slows it down some. Every couple of weeks I took it to the carwash and had them do the "underbody" wash for $10.

Now, I do the same when we get back from Padre Island. There are a bunch of do it yourself carwash places on the highway back from the island, so I just pull in and hose it down. Get it washed when I get home. Had no rust on the 07.

Steve

2012 Black GC Overland Summit 4x4 2006 Red LJ Rubi
USN Club Hull TJ-13 TX Jeep Club #29
post #15 of 65 Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
JDLalama
2011 WK 

At the moment there is a hold on doing anything to the spindles (even wire wheeling them and applying a barrier) until the case is reviewed by an engineer at Jeep, at least that is what I'm told. I will keep everyone updated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.