rust on my 12 WK2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > rust on my 12 WK2

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
orp0408
2012 WK 

rust on my 12 WK2

I just washed my 2012 GC Overland by hand the other day, and i noticed that it is covered in spackled rust spots(about the size of a pin) . Is this a defect in the paint? It's only 5 months old and has just 10k kms, hopefully this is a warrenty issue.

orp0408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Steab

I get the same on my 2012 GC. My daughter also gets on her 2012 Hyundai Genesis.
She asked her dealer....apparently it's road grime.
They suggested mothers clay bar then seal with a good polish.
It wasn't covered by warranty. They wanted to charge her $235 for the privilege of them doing it.
Needless to say.....she bought her own clay bar.
I've scratched some of mine off with my fingernail. They come off easy enough
I'll let you know how the clay works aswell.
Steab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Possibly also rail dust, like posted above, good clay bar and wax.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
GU3R086

Quote:
Originally Posted by orp0408
I just washed my 2012 GC Overland by hand the other day, and i noticed that it is covered in spackled rust spots(about the size of a pin) . Is this a defect in the paint? It's only 5 months old and has just 10k kms, hopefully this is a warrenty issue.
My white 2012 altitude has them also. I've concluded it's the orange ice melt they use on the CO roads. I was able to wash some off but I'll be doing the clay bar also when it's wax time.
GU3R086 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
GaryGC

The specs you are seeing are common on all cars, but only really noticable on white cars. What you are seeing are tiny particles of Iron from brake pads. (From your car as well as others.) They get stuck on the surface of the clearcoat, then rust like all iron does. No harm to the paint, occasional claying and a good wax will keep them down.
GaryGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Sturgie525
2012 WK 

My last three cars were white and I always had them. I read it was rail dust. Yes you can clay bar it out but man that is work! This time I got black, I know they are still there but at least now I can't see it!
Sturgie525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.