Is this rust? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Is this rust?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
boyvan
2012 WK 

Wk Is this rust?

So I've been seeing this girl for about 5 months now. Life has been great with her. That all started going south though recently. Every night for the past 4 weeks she has been acting very weird. She comes home late every night and claims she was busy at work. We don't talk as much anymore and I feel like we are very distant from each other. It seems like she is more of a roommate than my girl...

Anyhow, recently things got worse. She has been getting dropped off when she returns home. I confronted her and she claims that it was her project partner from work, which I don't believe for a minute. I am a very good friend with her project partner and don't think he would do such a thing. I know what car he drives so I had to find out the truth myself.

Last night I hid behind my Jeep which was parked on my driveway and waited for her arrival. After 40 minutes I heard a car slowly pulled into my driveway and that is when I noticed some rust on the muffler.

See attached pics. Before I take it to the dealer - I wanted to show it to the experts here and see if this is even worth my time taking the Jeep to the dealer. Is it rust or have I not been cleaning properly?

closeup.jpg   photo.jpg  
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
dcbullets

Damn. All I want to know is the rest of the story. Is she cheating?!??

but that does suck about the muffler....it doesn't look like the muffler is rusting though. It could be debris from the brakes.
dcbullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Looks like someone spilled blinker fluid on it. Still odd though since the blinker fluid reservoir is located under the hood. Maybe it was just overfilled and the fluid worked its way to the rear while driving.
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Was the engine running while you were hiding behind the Jeep?

It could be blinker fluid, though.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
boyvan
2012 WK 

Lol....Even I dont know the rest.

Blinker fluid in the muffler? I actually did notice when I park the truck - I always see water like fluid leaking from the front (almost middle) section. Could that be related?
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
CBinDC

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Haha! Just like a Jeeper to notice rust on his muffler when hiding to spy on his GF! Hilarious!
CBinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyvan View Post
Lol....Even I dont know the rest.

Blinker fluid in the muffler? I actually did notice when I park the truck - I always see water like fluid leaking from the front (almost middle) section. Could that be related?
Probably not related.

Blinker fluid is always red or amber in color. The stuff is highly corrosive and will discolor metal, concrete, and blacktop upon contact.
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Chris9674T
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97HMCS View Post
Looks like someone spilled blinker fluid on it. Still odd though since the blinker fluid reservoir is located under the hood. Maybe it was just overfilled and the fluid worked its way to the rear while driving.
...and that, kids, is why you should change over to synthetic blinker fluid. It would never rust a muffler like that, although it can cause your curb feelers to become uncalibrated.
Chris9674T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris9674T View Post
...and that, kids, is why you should change over to synthetic blinker fluid. It would never rust a muffler like that, although it can cause your curb feelers to become uncalibrated.
I wouldn't use it with incandescent bulbs. I've seen the synthetic fluid leak through the bulb seals. Supposedly, it works fine with LED's.
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
boyvan
2012 WK 

Well....since I don't know much about mechanics or engines....I had to google what the heck was blinker fluid. Now I know....lol.

So the question still stands, is it rust or something else that I need to worry about?
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
97HMCS
2012 WK 

I can't answer your question, but I do apologize for messing with you about the blinker fluid.
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
boyvan
2012 WK 

Lol....no worries. It was funny and well timed. Besides I still learned something new.
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
gdash722
2013 WK 

I won't worry about the rust too much, but I would do something about it so that it doesn't get worse. I wouldn't take it to the dealer though, it is a simple fix and they will charge you way too much for it. Just take sand paper to the muffler to remove the surface rust and then spray over the sanded areas with a high temperature grill spray paint. Just remember to put something around your muffler so the over-spray doesn't get on your Jeep.
gdash722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

yes, it's rust. no, the dealer won't do anything about it. exhaust systems rust unless they're full stainless steel. and you didn't pay enough for stainless steel on these vehicles.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
boyvan
2012 WK 

Thanks for your all your feedbacks.

Just wanted to update you guys....I called the dealership today and made an appointment. I told them about the rust and asked them if it is covered under warranty.

Well....the good news is that they said they will look at it and go from there. The bad news is that I won't know until they actually see it. But from what I could tell....he wasn't surprised to know about the rust but sounded confident that it will be dealt with under warranty.

Will keep you guys posted.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.