Running boards please... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Running boards please...

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
Kitra
2011 WK 

Running boards please...

Another question. We are enjoying the 2011 GC Overland Summit we just purchased. My Wife is 5' 2" and has difficulty stepping into and out of the vehicle. The air suspension has a "park" position but she says she doesn't want to put the extra wear and tear on the air springs. So running boards seem like a good option. Any recommendations? We saw where some owners have used an Ionic CXV brand. We'd like functional running boards but also to have them look OK on a grey vehicle. Suggestions?

Kitra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Many here use park mode routinely. Doesn't seem to be a wear/tear issue.
Unread 06-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
tracknut
2014 WK 

I just installed the Ionic running boards on my 2014 Overland (blue). Haven't really used the car much, but I bounced up and down on the running boards to test them

Did the entire install with my head jammed under the sides of the car, only to remember I could have lifted the thing up with the air suspension and made my life much easier. Install is pretty clean and simple, and I do like the quality of the product.
tracknut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Kitra
2011 WK 

Tracknut, the online retailer told me no cutting or drilling but then went on to say that underneath the vehicle, some plastic needs to be cut away that cover bolt holes. Not sure if you had to do the same? Do they look good on the Jeep?
Unread 06-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
ahmiller55

Mopar Chrome Tubular

Hi,

I just took off a pair of Mopar Tubular Chrome from my WK2 before trading it in. Not sure if shipping to Oregon from Arizonia is reasonable but if you are interested let me know.

MOPAR PART # 82212129AB List for $591 on Mopar Website.

Asking $300

My wife is horizontally challenged and these worked great and looked great.
ahmiller55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
tracknut
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitra View Post
Tracknut, the online retailer told me no cutting or drilling but then went on to say that underneath the vehicle, some plastic needs to be cut away that cover bolt holes. Not sure if you had to do the same? Do they look good on the Jeep?
I wish I'd been told that, though I'm not sure it would have made much difference. The plastic molding at the bottom edge of the car extends across the frame rail where the bolts go to hold the runningboard. I've got a general picture at http://www.go-fast.org/images/IMG_9305.JPG - the circled area is where the issue is. I did not cut the plastic, I just used a lot of leverage to get the bolt and nut in place. I did not install the washer under the bolt though, because I couldn't make it happen and I couldn't see any way the washer was actually helping out.

Other pics at:
http://www.go-fast.org/images/IMG_9302.JPG
http://www.go-fast.org/images/IMG_9304.JPG

The last one since you may appreciate my other toy.
http://www.go-fast.org/images/IMG_9307.JPG
Unread 06-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
tracknut
2014 WK 

By the way I just noticed where you are, Kitra. I picked up this jeep at Northwest Jeep in Beaverton just a couple weeks ago. My local folks here weren't able to get me a blue one, so I did the whole thing online with Northwest. Good folks.
Unread 06-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
nowakoaj
2011 WK 

I put these on about two years ago. As best I can remember, I had to drill one or two holes in the frame for each side. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Styl...-/380425234674

ajn
nowakoaj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
Kitra
2011 WK 

So I just chatted with Auto Customs and they say the Ionic CXV running boards will not work on a 2011 -2013 Overland. 2014 OK. Anyone have running boards (aftermarket) on their 2011 GC Overland/Summit? Auto Customs says no one makes them for the 2011 - 2013 Overland.
Unread 06-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
nowakoaj
2011 WK 

The ones that I bought were from Owens. The link to eBay is for the Owens brand. These are the ones that I put on my 2011 Overland.

ajn
nowakoaj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #11
spinxt

I just traded in a 2011 with 65,000 miles. zero issues with the air suspension and I used park mode multiple times a day.
spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Use the suspension or don't, it's a double edged sword. It's like leaving a car sit for months things break, or if you drive it things could break.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #13
Kitra
2011 WK 

Air suspension

I like that. Use it or don't - it could break. My Dad had a 1992 Chrysler Imperial with full air-suspension. The rear bellows and the front air struts failed at less than 60K miles. They were very expensive to replace - IIRC, just the parts were $3000 or so. I've been reading on the Jeep air suspension and it's a sealed/closed system which is excellent engineering. Also it's filled with nitrogen so there really shouldn't be any moisture within the system. The moisture/water would settle in the struts on the Imperial and accelerate the rot. The old Imperial was an open-air system with a dryer on the intake line. Certainly the closed system on the Jeep has to be superior. I wonder if the Jeep service departments even have nitrogen to use during repairs or do they just use air? I would also assume one would want to vacuum the system down before adding nitrogen to boil off the humidity, like HVAC service Folks do. OK, back to shopping for running boards.....
Unread 06-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
spinxt

Most dealers have nitrogen to fill tires, so I would say that would be a non issue
spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.