Roof Rack Mounting process - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Roof Rack Mounting process

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
wjs81866

Roof Rack Mounting process

I'll do my best to lay this out, not hard but there are some things that will make it go much smoother. You will find this all easier if you have a second person.

1) There are 2 bars (Hi, I'm captain obvious) but one is for the rear and one is for the front. They also have stickers on them stating which one goes where. Make sure they face the correct direction or you will have wind noise.

2) There are rubber strips that will be attached to the tops of the rails; MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE LENGTH OF EACH STRIP! THEY ARE DIFFERENT LENGTHS. THE BARS ARE NOT THE SAME LENGTH. Don't do what I did and have to start all over because I miss-matched them. The trick to these is to get the channel on the bottom locked on one side then use your thumb to push them into the bar. Leave about 3 inches at each end to have access to the screws.

3) Back the screws off about as far as they will go, if you hold the mounting bracket in your hands as you do this you will see the mounting bracket lips drop below the bracket housing. Once you get these to drop as far as they will go you are ready to attach to the bars. Until you drop these lips down you will not be able to get it to click into the mounting track on the Jeep. I would suggest using a piece of cardboard or something to protect the panoramic sun roof (If you have it) The allen wrench flew out of my hands once and it hit the glass, nothing happened but spooked me.

4) Once you have the lips from the mounting bracket locked into place you need to make sure that the bar is centered right to left, (This is where a second person will come in handy) if it is off set one way or the other when you tighten the screws the mounting block will be pulled over. If you do this back the screw off and center rack bar so mounting blocks sit flush on the roof track when tightened down.

5) once you have it centered and tightened down push the ends of the rubber strip down at the ends and you should be all set.

Sorry I don’t have pictures of the assembly process.

Quadra Trac 2
Lux Group 2
20" tires and rims
Towing package

2) 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X
Blackberry Pearl
5.7L
Quadra Drive 2
Quadra Lift
Laredo X Group 25 package
Chrome Fogs and Mirrors
Off-Road Adventure II Package
P265/60R18 Michelin LTX M/S 2's
BWoody 4" Velocity Intake
wjs81866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. As you said earlier, the included directions are not adequate so your process write up is much appreciated.
getoutandplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
tkjc007

Crossbars

I have just purchased the roof crossbars for my 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland and I have a few questions.
1. What are the keys for? They unlock the ends of the crossbars but why would I want to lock or unlock just the ends? (I haul some lumber and plywood and never use the rack for anything else.)
2. Ads I have seen state the the crossbars are removable. The only way I see them removable is to climb up and use the supplied tool to loosen all the screws. Is the only way to remove cross bars?
3. The install instructions say to tighten the screws to 5 newton metrics (about 4 ft lbs). This seems awful loose and I am afraid the crossbars would slide a lot if only this tight on the screws. Any comments?
Thanks in advance.
tkjc007
tkjc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs81866 View Post
I'll do my best to lay this out, not hard but there are some things that will make it go much smoother. You will find this all easier if you have a second person.

1) There are 2 bars (Hi, I'm captain obvious) but one is for the rear and one is for the front. They also have stickers on them stating which one goes where. Make sure they face the correct direction or you will have wind noise.

2) There are rubber strips that will be attached to the tops of the rails; MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE LENGTH OF EACH STRIP! THEY ARE DIFFERENT LENGTHS. THE BARS ARE NOT THE SAME LENGTH. Don't do what I did and have to start all over because I miss-matched them. The trick to these is to get the channel on the bottom locked on one side then use your thumb to push them into the bar. Leave about 3 inches at each end to have access to the screws.

3) Back the screws off about as far as they will go, if you hold the mounting bracket in your hands as you do this you will see the mounting bracket lips drop below the bracket housing. Once you get these to drop as far as they will go you are ready to attach to the bars. Until you drop these lips down you will not be able to get it to click into the mounting track on the Jeep. I would suggest using a piece of cardboard or something to protect the panoramic sun roof (If you have it) The allen wrench flew out of my hands once and it hit the glass, nothing happened but spooked me.

4) Once you have the lips from the mounting bracket locked into place you need to make sure that the bar is centered right to left, (This is where a second person will come in handy) if it is off set one way or the other when you tighten the screws the mounting block will be pulled over. If you do this back the screw off and center rack bar so mounting blocks sit flush on the roof track when tightened down.

5) once you have it centered and tightened down push the ends of the rubber strip down at the ends and you should be all set.

Sorry I donít have pictures of the assembly process.
Thanks!

If we get some warm temps this weekend I'll be putting my cross bars on.
Unread 04-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mother nature was forgiving today so I put by cross bars on today.

All in all not to hard, maybe 15-20 minutes max.

The trick I found to ease installing the rubber strip was to spray soapy water on the under side of the strip as well as on the crossbar itself.

Sorry do step my step pic's of the actual install, but then that is not all the difficult.

Pic's of the finished product.

Unread 04-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
tkjc007

What purpose do the locks serve?
tkjc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Jughead
2011 WK 

Sweet, gonna get me a set.

Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
kkuntz01
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkjc007 View Post
Not 100% sure. Maybe make it harder steel or something.
Unread 04-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
radside
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkjc007 View Post
As far as I can see, they do nothing out of the box. If the rubber strips were metal, then they would prevent the theft of the bars but as is, you can remove and install the bars with or without the locks in place...unless I missed something.
20 inch SRT Rep w/275 45/20 tires
MOPAR chrome side steps
radside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
MudskippinJeep
2011 WK 

I think the locks are for extra accessories (for the racks) that slide into the groves where the rubber strips go.
MudskippinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.