Rocky Road Super Sliders installed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Rocky Road Super Sliders installed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Big50
2012 WK 

Rocky Road Super Sliders installed

Finally got around to taking some pix and video of the new rock sliders. The install was pretty strait forward. These do require you to drill into the uni body which wasn't to difficult. Except, I didn't pay attention on the passenger side when drilling one of the wholes and the alignment was off. I was able to save it though.

Once you drill the wholes you then have to use self tapping bolts which took some muscling to get them to catch. I recommend pulling off the slider after drilling the wholes and use the drill and whiggle it around a bit to make the whole slightly bigger. Then once you get the bolt to catch on all the wholes pull it out then put the sliders back on and bolt everything down.

I did this all by myself but could have used another set of hands. It does take pressing really hard on the self tapping bolts to get them to catch. I'm 6'4" 260 and it took me pressing as hard as possible.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcRWr...ature=youtu.be

Pics:

Unread 04-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Jackal01

2012 WK 

I like them. Nicely done. I know they do not go the full length but that still would be great if they did. I think I would still buy them. I like how much they stick out. Looking good, man.

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Big50,

They look good, Did you put some non-slip grip tape on the tubes yourself? I installed a pair of these a few weeks ago, but the tubes were just powder coated.

Thanks,

Joe
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
hur1ey02
2011 WK 

They look great. I was waiting for someone to take the plunge and buy/install these. Any trimming of the plastic rockers required for fitment? Is all of the hardware included for install?
2004 TJ RME (Flame Red)
hur1ey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Like Big50 said, the installation is pretty straight forward. I did drill and tap for the "self tapping" bolts to make it easier to install the bolts. I have the factory skid plates and had to remove & reinstall the T-case plate (the rock rail mounting plate goes underneath). The mounting bracket on the drivers side rear had to be trimmed a little in order to clear the fuel tank skid plate.
img_1439.jpg   img_1440.jpg  
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Here's the installation instructions.
jeep-grand-rockrails-2011-.jpg  
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Greg012GCO
2012 WK 

Looks great. Very nice!
Greg012GCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Chrazy-Chris
2012 WK 

...but seriously, awesome Jeep! I really like the looks of your new sliders- they compliment the lines of the vehicle much better than the Mopars IMO.

Do you have a thread on blacking out your chrome pieces?
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Big50
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
I like them. Nicely done. I know they do not go the full length but that still would be great if they did. I think I would still buy them. I like how much they stick out. Looking good, man.
Thanks. Ya, I would like a little more coverage but reality it's not needed. I don't see myself doing any rock crawling. Where I wanted the protection for is when bottoming out or getting high centered on a hill. Plus they are nearly $400 cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97HMCS View Post
Big50,

They look good, Did you put some non-slip grip tape on the tubes yourself? I installed a pair of these a few weeks ago, but the tubes were just powder coated.

Thanks,

Joe
Yes I did. The drivers side was scratched up by UPS during shipping so I figured this was the perfect way to cover it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hur1ey02 View Post
They look great. I was waiting for someone to take the plunge and buy/install these. Any trimming of the plastic rockers required for fitment? Is all of the hardware included for install?
No trimming required. I don't have any skid plates so no issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
Wholes?

...but seriously, awesome Jeep! I really like the looks of your new sliders- they compliment the lines of the vehicle much better than the Mopars IMO.

And thank you! I don't have a thread up. I just bought some satin black spray paint and applied about 7 coats and 3 clear. The chrome peaces pull off (both the grill and the rear peace). The rear you just start in the bottom right, work your fingers under neath, you'll hear a clip pop loose and then continue to work your fingers across the whole piece.
Unread 04-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Great writeup, this is helpful info. to have. Aside from the functionality, they add a nice look to your Jeep. It looks like they stick out enough to protect you from idiots flinging their doors into you Jeep too - is that accurate? If so, it's almost worth getting some just for that given the dents I have in my doors from the parking garage!

Your Jeep is looking great.
Unread 04-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
Jackal01

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...58/index5.html

'12 Laredo V6 ORA1|Terra Grappler 265-70-17|MB TKO 17x8.5|Silverstar Ultra low beams|Mopar Front and Rear WK2 slush mats|RRO 2.5" lift
BWoody extended sway bar links|K&N 77 Series Intake|Gibson Exhaust | Viair OBA | RRO Combo Winch mount| Q9000S winch
Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
Big50
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineJeep11 View Post
Great writeup, this is helpful info. to have. Aside from the functionality, they add a nice look to your Jeep. It looks like they stick out enough to protect you from idiots flinging their doors into you Jeep too - is that accurate? If so, it's almost worth getting some just for that given the dents I have in my doors from the parking garage!

Your Jeep is looking great.
Thanks buddy. I'm actually disappointed by how far they stick out. If a lower car opened it's door it may protect it. The mid part of the door bows out further then the side step. This was half the reason I bought these to.

Funny story not on my Jeep but my old F150. I was telling my wife about how much my side steps had protected my truck from door dings. 5 minutes later we stopped at home depot. It was windy so she stayed in the truck. I come back and she tells me you weren't kidding about the side steps. Some old lady opened her door and the wind took it. Her door hit the side step so hard my wife said it shook the truck. People just aren't careful and don't care.
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
colgatefootball
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That freaking GC looks AMAZING!! Wow........wish I was a rich man Id go get one and figure out what mods you did and rock it haha....looks fantastic....

Now where can I park a 3rd vehicle in a beach town!?!?
colgatefootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Still see RRO using very weak mounting system on sliders,they just never learn.One good hit and they will bend,not the main rail but the support bars will.
Unread 05-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big50 View Post
Thanks buddy. I'm actually disappointed by how far they stick out. If a lower car opened it's door it may protect it. The mid part of the door bows out further then the side step. This was half the reason I bought these to.

Funny story not on my Jeep but my old F150. I was telling my wife about how much my side steps had protected my truck from door dings. 5 minutes later we stopped at home depot. It was windy so she stayed in the truck. I come back and she tells me you weren't kidding about the side steps. Some old lady opened her door and the wind took it. Her door hit the side step so hard my wife said it shook the truck. People just aren't careful and don't care.
Oh, so you're saying they don't stick out far enough? I guess I couldn't tell from the video because I was thinking it would protect whole door. That sucks about the old lady's door. I agree - I think 90% of the population would just swing their door into someone else's vehicle and not give two s***'s. But, for primary use of protecting the bottom of the doors when bottoming out off road, they definitely look like they'll do the trick.

By the way, stop doing cool stuff to your Jeep and posting it because now I want to get some of those!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.