Rocky Road Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Rocky Road Lift

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 06-21-2014, 05:32 AM   #1
Jeep360CID
2013 WK 

Rocky Road Lift

I am patiently waiting for my RRO lift kit to arrive for my WK2. My question is to anyone who has put it in themselves, would having a strut compressor make the installation easier and a little faster? It appears that according to the instructions and other posts that I have read that a lot of time and energy is spent trying to align the bolt hole of the lower control are with the strut.

Jeep360CID is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
polizei

In my experience, the spring compressors did nothing. I was working with a family member of mine who is a very experienced mechanic. We had the rear and front passenger side done within 2.5 hours, but the front-driver side was a PITA! The axle is slightly shorter, and we were NOT able to get the darn thing back on...long story short, we ended up spreading the strut mount until it would fit over the CV boot. In all, the front-driver side took us about 2.5-3 hours alone, about 5-5.5 hours total for the install. You might be better off just taking the axle out of the tranny, honestly.

As for your direct question, the bolt holes and getting everything back together isn't an issue. Put a jack stand under the jack point and use the floor jack under the UCA to raise/lower it while you're working on it.

If you don't have air tools, pry bars, jacks, etc. and the knowledge, I would absolutely recommend you take it to a professional shop.
Unread 06-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Jeep360CID
2013 WK 

Thanks for your reply. I have the tools and knowledge to do the job. My concern is the left front and what is the most successful and easiest way to approach it.
Unread 06-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
polizei

I don't know how others are doing it, but from what I saw, there's no way to get it in after the spacer is installed, unless you either spread the strut mount like I did, or take out the axle. Good luck, it's a PITA but worth it!
Unread 06-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
NoDistortion
2013 WK 

I used a basic screw driven spring compressor when I did mine. It made it easier.
NoDistortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
Jeep360CID
2013 WK 

NoDistortion- Did it with help with getting the left front side in easier???
I don't understand how it can't , everyone's major complaint was clearance once the spacer Is installed and if you compress the spring and put it back in, it should make it easier.
Unread 07-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
Jeep360CID
2013 WK 

Put my RRO lift in today. It took 6 hrs start to finish. I used a spring compressor in the back to take the springs out and put them back in. Made it a little easier instead of having to have someone stand on the control arms to get them out. First back wheel took 1 1/2 hrs to do the 2nd wheel 40min. The front was a little tricky as everyone else who posted said it would be. what I did when I unbolted the strut and brought it down I put the spacer on without removing it from from inside the strut tower. I used a stubby and a offset 1/2 wrench to tighten the nuts on the spacer, it was a little tedious taking 20 min to put on 3 nuts but it saved me the worry of not popping the drive axel out on either side. Once I had the strut back up and the 3 nuts started in the engine compartment I used a ratcheting cargo tie to pull the strut in to help align the lower strut mounting bolt. Not to bad of a job overall. Off to the alignment shop tomorrow. Looks awesome, the way a Jeep should look.
Unread 07-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
polizei

Awesome! What tires are you going with? I was disappointed that mine rubbed, so be prepared to bend the weld.
Unread 07-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
Jeep360CID
2013 WK 

I'm not going to go very big most likely one size up to a 265/70. I don't want to be bothered with the speedo being off and the other issues related with it. Been there done that. Unless someone come out with a programmer where you make adjustments for tire size like there is for the JK's.
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #10
canistel
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep360CID View Post
I'm not going to go very big most likely one size up to a 265/70. I don't want to be bothered with the speedo being off and the other issues related with it. Been there done that. Unless someone come out with a programmer where you make adjustments for tire size like there is for the JK's.
Yes, I believe Diablosport tuning has a tuner that can do this for the GC.
canistel is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.