Rock scratches ... - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
paulr121
2016 WK 

I am in a love hate relationship with Texas. I love almost everything about my adopted state, save for the blast furnace heat in the summer, and those never to be sufficiently cursed butt-munching rock haulers on the interstate.

Not only did I have to replace the windshield in a two week old 2016 GC, now I have a 4" very deep scratch nearly dead center on the front of the hood.

Since this one is the metallic granite, I have no clue how to take care of this. Too deep to just buff out I think. :/

Advice please?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 09:18 AM
3Dog

Order some touch up paint. If you are not comfortable prepping and applying yourself (I am sure there are instructional you tube videos of how to do it), I have found that many PDR guys do minor touch ups as well, not very expensive. Since this is likely not your last rock chip, I would skip any re-spray of the hood.

2015 WK2 Overland Hemi ORA II
2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE armrest cracks...)
post #3 of 11 Old 01-11-2017, 05:34 PM
2001WJv8
2015 WK 

Garage
hood decal

'15 WK2 Diesel 4x4 ORII, Nitto TG2 275/65r18, BORA 1"f/1.25"r spacers, RRO super sliders

post #4 of 11 Old 01-12-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
paulr121
2016 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dog
Order some touch up paint. If you are not comfortable prepping and applying yourself (I am sure there are instructional you tube videos of how to do it), I have found that many PDR guys do minor touch ups as well, not very expensive. Since this is likely not your last rock chip, I would skip any re-spray of the hood.
Can you get a really good match with touchup paint for metallic coated paint jobs?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Spike6901
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr121 View Post
Can you get a really good match with touchup paint for metallic coated paint jobs?
You won't be able to match it up perfectly unless you spent the last 10 years as a body and paint guy and are a master. I am handy and don't even try to use the touch up paint anymore. It end up looking like an amateur tried to fix it and that is worse than the initial problem, at least in my mind. The I have to look at it everyday and think about how much I sucked at fixing it.

Yes, in Texas, we go though a windshield about every 4 years if we are lucky. It is so great when you replace one and get a crack a week later.

On another note, try riding a motorcycle down the interstate. It is good at exfoliating any exposed skin and an exercise in pain tolerance, lol.

Future: '17 WK2
Current: '97 ZJ - Lots of mods
Past: CJ-7, XJ, KJ, JKU
post #6 of 11 Old 01-13-2017, 09:47 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
(More amusement)

Think an open top 18 wheel tractor trailer filled almost to overflowing with white gravel, add in interstates with 75mph or higher speed limits, high traffic volumes, a high mix of large trucks and SUVs, and you may begin to get the idea.
So Texas doesn't regulate open top trailers, like they must be covered at least with canvas? Or do they chose to not enforce it? Its a hefty fine here to run with an open or loose top.

Dunno what to say about rock chips beside don't drive the Jeep . Its really hard to match the paint. If bad enough, I just dab something on close but darker to prevent rust.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #7 of 11 Old 01-13-2017, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
paulr121
2016 WK 

It's an enforcement thing. You see one or two of beasties pulled over almost every day, but there are an awful lot of them. That makes it really difficult to meaningfully enforce the regulations, and there are a lot of other targets for police attention as well.

Sounds like a slightly darker touchup paint, or a trip to the body shop is in order. I was thinking of just hitting it with a touch of a clear coat to seal it up until I get enough nicks and dings to make it worth the time to take it into the shop. Rather do that than not drive the Jeep.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-13-2017, 11:02 AM
3Dog

Quote:
Unless you are an expert (I am not), then no. But better than exposed metal IMO.

2015 WK2 Overland Hemi ORA II
2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE armrest cracks...)
post #9 of 11 Old 01-13-2017, 01:26 PM
Monarchco
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001WJv8 View Post
nobody has seen snow like he has either.
Yeah you're right. North Carolina, or anywhere in the lower 48, definitely sees the 1000+ inches of annual snowfall that Alaska does. For reference, Colorado ski resorts see 400 if they're lucky And Alyeska(the premiere international resort in Anchorage) sees 650 if they're unlucky
Nope, you guys definitely see more snow.

tldr; apparently fact-backed life experiences don't mean anything to you guys. Only "feelings". Maybe if I go to Hawaii and say, "Oh noooo! it rains here and no one else has ever experienced anything like this because its my life!" Then I can get some credit since its off "feelings".

post #10 of 11 Old 01-13-2017, 04:27 PM
2001WJv8
2015 WK 

Garage
unless you are driving through 1000+ inches of fresh snowfall it doesn't matter - a foot of snow is a foot of snow ... i've driven in 3' of fresh snow ... I live an hour from the world record holder of snowfall (Mt Baker, WA) at over 1100 inches of snow ... and unless you've driven in central NC you wouldn't understand that many times the snow starts as freezing rain - puts a nice heavy layer of black ice down before the air temp at the surface allows the snow to reach the ground and cover the ice. I'd rather drive in 18" of powder than 1" of the stuff that falls there because ... you get what happened in that photo - misery.

you aren't the only one who has driven in extreme conditions all over the continent, but you sure act like it.

'15 WK2 Diesel 4x4 ORII, Nitto TG2 275/65r18, BORA 1"f/1.25"r spacers, RRO super sliders
post #11 of 11 Old 01-14-2017, 08:35 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I hate it when someone gets upset and wants to take his ball home. One certainly needs a thick skin here, but thats not much different than the hundreds of forums I'm connected with. Some product support forums have less dribble. I hope folks stick around after they cool off. Most here appreciate the product thread work done. Thats a lot of work.

I was hoping this thread wasn't going to turn into a peeing contest. I'll close this thread as it may have gone way off topic and out of hand.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.