RIPP 3.6 WK2 Grand Cherokee Project DYNO VID - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > RIPP 3.6 WK2 Grand Cherokee Project DYNO VID

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Reply
Unread 11-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
RIPPMODS
Vendor
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 694
RIPP 3.6 WK2 Grand Cherokee Project DYNO VID

So we've been at it for a while and feel real comfortable with the power, drivability and performance. The 2014 WK2 Cherokee you see here is a Summit and a loaner.

Stock it put down 190 AWD-HP and 170trq - With 8psi it put down a peak 320 AWD HP and settles is to 300-310 all warmed up. The video really sums up the kit as a whole. Please consider a stock 5.7 WK2 only puts down 275AWD-HP.

Questions welcome -


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksrtjJkrUo




__________________
RIPP Superchargers
2005-2014 Wrangler
2011-2014 Grand Cherokee 3.6 5.7 6.4
www.rippmods.com
RIPPMODS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
bing3r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Posts: 9
I'm actually very interested in this setup! Coming from a 500+ hp / 1100ft/lbs Duramax down to the 3.6L Pentastar (wife is pregnant with 1st child and said we needed an SUV for family friendliness ) I would like to feel a little more power beneath my foot. Even if I mash it, I do not have the acceleration and power I had in my 10k lb truck with 1/4 throttle.

I also have the 2012 3.6L Pentastar in the Laredo trim.. I'm very new to Jeeps but I am sure they are very similar, if not the exact same motor, correct?
bing3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
RIPPMODS
Vendor
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing3r View Post
I'm actually very interested in this setup! Coming from a 500+ hp / 1100ft/lbs Duramax down to the 3.6L Pentastar (wife is pregnant with 1st child and said we needed an SUV for family friendliness ) I would like to feel a little more power beneath my foot. Even if I mash it, I do not have the acceleration and power I had in my 10k lb truck with 1/4 throttle.

I also have the 2012 3.6L Pentastar in the Laredo trim.. I'm very new to Jeeps but I am sure they are very similar, if not the exact same motor, correct?
The engines are the same the trans is different power should be the same. Its very gratifying to feel the power of the 3.6 with boost. It just feels like a larger engine, rather than a boosted one.

RIPPTECH
__________________
RIPP Superchargers
2005-2014 Wrangler
2011-2014 Grand Cherokee 3.6 5.7 6.4
www.rippmods.com
RIPPMODS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
bblasey
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1
Transmssion Durabilty

Does anyone have any input on how the stock transmission may hold up due to the extra horsepower/torque? What about engine durability and/or longevity? And lastly... what's the price range expectation?
bblasey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #5
norge2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 64
What is impact to gas milage?
norge2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
Bullheadbud
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bellingham, wa
Posts: 351
Nice, but you can throw your warranty out the window with this.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
canistel
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullheadbud View Post
Nice, but you can throw your warranty out the window with this.
Agreed, but have you seen the price on this thing? I get that they probably can't build it much cheaper, but after spending the amount you do on the supercharger, chances are a little engine work on the side isn't going to ruffle your feathers
canistel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
10Xk
Registered User
2010 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: , USA
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel

Agreed, but have you seen the price on this thing? I get that they probably can't build it much cheaper, but after spending the amount you do on the supercharger, chances are a little engine work on the side isn't going to ruffle your feathers
Build it cheaper? Theres maybe one other company who makes them for a GC 3.6, no demand no competitors = set your own price. You can get them cheaper for wranglers 3.6 due to the demand.

That's the thing, the guys who have the extra money don't buy a base engine to modify to the upgraded engine level.

They buy the biggest engine then modify it, who wants to play catch up with a hemi when you can buy one cheaper then this power adder.

There's a reason there isn't very many SC for a 3.6 GC. They make bigger engines! Now for the Wrangler, one choice for a engine unless you want to send out for a 5.7 or 6.4. Hints why there are quite a few SC for wranglers.

Don't some provide powertrain warranties backing their product?
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #9
canistel
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Build it cheaper? Theres maybe one other company who makes them for a GC 3.6, no demand no competitors = set your own price. You can get them cheaper for wranglers 3.6 due to the demand.

That's the thing, the guys who have the extra money don't buy a base engine to modify to the upgraded engine level.

They buy the biggest engine then modify it, who wants to play catch up with a hemi when you can buy one cheaper then this power adder.

There's a reason there isn't very many SC for a 3.6 GC. They make bigger engines! Now for the Wrangler, one choice for a engine unless you want to send out for a 5.7 or 6.4. Hints why there are quite a few SC for wranglers.

Don't some provide powertrain warranties backing their product?
Well it's not quite that simple for me. First of all, my jeep is a laredo, so add another $8000 CAD to jump up to the next trim level (limited). Then add some more money on top to get the hemi (can't buy hemi in base package). That's if you're buying new, count on $10,000 min difference b/n base and the cheapest model with a hemi.

Used, same story. Most GC's with the hemi in this area are all overland. You're still paying a $10K difference. Yes there is more jeep too, but I don't care about the overland package. It's all wasted on me.

Now also look at mileage numbers. I'm willing to bet the v6 with this turbo will still put out better MPG than the hemi. And it will (according to these guys) also outperform the hemi.

What am I missing here? Seems like for just an extra bit of punch for guys content with a base laredo, this turbo is still the better option.

But I won't be getting it, price is still a definite deal breaker.
canistel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #10
RIPPMODS
Vendor
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblasey View Post
Does anyone have any input on how the stock transmission may hold up due to the extra horsepower/torque? What about engine durability and/or longevity? And lastly... what's the price range expectation?
The transmission is actually very strong - and considering the amount of sound running 07-2014 JK's RIPP has on the road over the years (with weaker trans and larger loads) we do a really good job managing the torque throughout the RPM band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norge2000 View Post
What is impact to gas milage?
Gian of 1-4 mpg every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullheadbud View Post
Nice, but you can throw your warranty out the window with this.
This is not true, the short answer should and would be yes, but RIPP has an excellent reputation in the Jeep community including its dealers, many dealer actually install RIPP products with warranty. There's a reason we've sold over 4000 systems world wide and have more rigs on the road than anyone else.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
Build it cheaper? Theres maybe one other company who makes them for a GC 3.6, no demand no competitors = set your own price. You can get them cheaper for wranglers 3.6 due to the demand.

That's the thing, the guys who have the extra money don't buy a base engine to modify to the upgraded engine level.

They buy the biggest engine then modify it, who wants to play catch up with a hemi when you can buy one cheaper then this power adder.

There's a reason there isn't very many SC for a 3.6 GC. They make bigger engines! Now for the Wrangler, one choice for a engine unless you want to send out for a 5.7 or 6.4. Hints why there are quite a few SC for wranglers.

Don't some provide powertrain warranties backing their product?
We've looked into those warranties and couldn't bring ourselves to sell the snake oil...


Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel View Post
Well it's not quite that simple for me. First of all, my jeep is a laredo, so add another $8000 CAD to jump up to the next trim level (limited). Then add some more money on top to get the hemi (can't buy hemi in base package). That's if you're buying new, count on $10,000 min difference b/n base and the cheapest model with a hemi.

Used, same story. Most GC's with the hemi in this area are all overland. You're still paying a $10K difference. Yes there is more jeep too, but I don't care about the overland package. It's all wasted on me.

Now also look at mileage numbers. I'm willing to bet the v6 with this turbo will still put out better MPG than the hemi. And it will (according to these guys) also outperform the hemi.

What am I missing here? Seems like for just an extra bit of punch for guys content with a base laredo, this turbo is still the better option.

But I won't be getting it, price is still a definite deal breaker.

This is an interesting perspective the 3.6 Wrangler kit is 5995.95 the WK2 3.6 kit is 6299.95.

The intercooler is bigger, the piping is longer and it comes with a catch can and drop in K&N. Couple that to the integrity of the brand and the lower volume, we'd say we were very ethically priced.

You gain more HP than a 5.7 and gain 1-4mpg - with a 4-5hour instalL, thats a lot of value. Whether you see it is another story?

We would be open to a group buy to put our worth where our mouth is.... would any of you be open to that?

RIPPTECH
__________________
RIPP Superchargers
2005-2014 Wrangler
2011-2014 Grand Cherokee 3.6 5.7 6.4
www.rippmods.com
RIPPMODS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
10Xk
Registered User
2010 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: , USA
Posts: 872
How's the K&N pan out? Plenty of reports of letting larger particles through the filter and oil causing issues.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2014, 05:46 AM   #12
Bullheadbud
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bellingham, wa
Posts: 351
Expensive add on but makes a mo better Jeep.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
kryogen
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern, Quebec
Posts: 430
what about the 5.7 kit? I have a 2011 5.7 and it's soooo slow.
__________________
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8
kryogen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #14
10Xk
Registered User
2010 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: , USA
Posts: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen
what about the 5.7 kit? I have a 2011 5.7 and it's soooo slow.
And this is why they make a SRT
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #15
RIPPMODS
Vendor
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
what about the 5.7 kit? I have a 2011 5.7 and it's soooo slow.
Good it, its on the dyno now - and you're right it is slow. Stock it only puts down 270AWD HP and 303 trq RIPP'd it puts down 404AWD-HP and 500trq (TO THE WHEELS)


Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk View Post
And this is why they make a SRT

Unfair comparison - RIPP has a kit for all three engine combo's 3.6 5.7 and 6.4 and they all have their place and position in the market.

The 3.6 is really what everyone needed - the 5.7 offers more pulling power, The 6.4 is beast mode and pulls fine. Stock they are mediocer at best. RIPP powered they are a force to be reconded with. The 5.7 Limited already has a porsche panamerica kill from a dig.... and on the highway it waxed a G37 Sport sedan.

The 3.6 WK2 already beat a 3.0 X5 from a dig...

The combination of RIPP boost and that 8spd is killer, it never falls out of boost so you're always at maximum efficiency.

RIPPTECH
__________________
RIPP Superchargers
2005-2014 Wrangler
2011-2014 Grand Cherokee 3.6 5.7 6.4
www.rippmods.com
RIPPMODS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.