"Right Rear Turn Signal Lamp Out" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > "Right Rear Turn Signal Lamp Out"

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
rhymeorreason

"Right Rear Turn Signal Lamp Out"

I've tried searching the forums for a fix with this issue, but I haven't come across any 2011 Cherokee's having this issue. The problem started after I took the Jeep through a carwash and the light popped up the following day. Odd thing is with this problem was that it somehow fixed itself for a week and then hasn't worked since. Anyone else have this problem? And how did ya'll go about fixing it? I appreciate the help in advance.

rhymeorreason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
JeepCares

Maybe the car wash was coincidental.

possible CAUSES with CORRECTION
ONE TURN SIGNAL LAMP DOES NOT ILLUMINATE
1. Ineffective or missing bulb. 1. Test and replace turn signal bulb if required.
2. Ineffective ground circuit. 2. Test and repair open ground circuit if required.
3. Ineffective feed circuit. 3. Test and repair open right or left turn signal circuit if required.
4. Ineffective TIPM inputs or outputs. 4. Use a diagnostic scan tool to test the TIPM inputs and outputs. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

Is the Jeep still within the terms of the warranty?
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Justal13
2012 WK 

Replace the bulb. Easy to do and very low cost. There are several posts on the forums about loose bulbs and/or sockets from the factory causing this problem. I personnally experience an issue with the right tail-light bulb message intermittently showing up. After replacing the bulb, I could see that the filament was broken, but could still make contact - so it was touching and working - not touching and out - touching - etc.

Again, the bulb is cheap and the replacement process is easy and explained in detail with pictures in the owner's manual (page 526 for bulb sizing, page 530 for instructions):

http://wk2jeeps.com/manuals/2011_wk_..._manual_05.pdf
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
grimper
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymeorreason View Post
I've tried searching the forums for a fix with this issue, but I haven't come across any 2011 Cherokee's having this issue. The problem started after I took the Jeep through a carwash and the light popped up the following day. Odd thing is with this problem was that it somehow fixed itself for a week and then hasn't worked since. Anyone else have this problem? And how did ya'll go about fixing it? I appreciate the help in advance.
I had this happen on my 2011 to 3 of the turns signals and 2 of the 4 headlights. Each time it was after a mudding session. FYI I dont drive like a maniac through the mud trying to rooster tail and the mud I was playing in wasn't deep at all ( less than 2inches). In my case it was either from the mud splashback or washing it down afterwards(which I did carefully). I also suspect its from a poor weatherproofing on the connectors. I would hope that trail rated would mean we would have some more protection than I do. You can go ahead and flame me for that statement but I used to drown and thrash my Toyotas and never head an issue. I babied my 2011 and it broke constantly. Its halftime America!!! I have 1200 miles on my 2012 and (knock on wood) not a single issue even in the mud. IMHO this is a great rig on and offroad all problems aside. I love how all the other forums talk about trips and funtime and the Wk2 is all about issues and complaints. Wake up Chrysler(Fiat) you have a great rig you just need better attention to detail and quality assurance.
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
rhymeorreason

Upon further review, I checked the fuse box, (M18) 15amp fuse was fine. When the headlights are on, both bulbs for the right rear taillight light up. It is only when the brake pedal is depressed or the turn signal is engaged that the bulbs do not turn on. Jeepcares & Justal13, I will heed your advice and do all of the above. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Justal13
2012 WK 

It is a 2-filament bulb. The headlights are on 1-filament, and the brake/turn signal on the other. So you likely just have a bad bulb to replace. Make sure you do not use your bare fingers to insert the new bulb. Use a paper towel and wipe off the bulb to make sure no finger-prints, grease, etc is left on the bulb for best bulb-life (not as fussy as halogen bulbs, but still good practice). Best luck.

Rear Turn/Stop/Tail Lamps . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3057
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
chibianh
2011 WK 

I replaced my bulb and haven't had an issue since.
chibianh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
MLC#3 97TJ

My left rear turn signal would go out from time to time, but always when it rained. I found that if I placed pressure on the whole assembly the signal would work again. I managed to take it into a dealer, showed the service rep that the signal was not working, and then pushed the assembly and the service rep watched the signal begin to flash.

So, they checked/replaced the connection, replaced the bulb and it has been fine since. What was surprising was the fact they tried to charge me $20 for the bulb, since they replaced it. I argued that the original bulb was not defective, the wiring was. Thankfully for $20 they did not argue much, though I made sure to respond negatively in the usual post-service survey.
MLC#3 97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
t3xn

"Remove the two push-pins from the tail lamp housing."

Are these really as simple as pulling them out? I am afraid of breaking them.

edit: nevermind, found another site with info on how the push pins work. I've seen some pretty crappy pins on my ford mustang so I was afraid of breaking them
t3xn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
rhymeorreason

Bought the bulb ($3) and replaced it. Signal working great! Thanks for the knowledge.
Unread 12-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
gingersjeepin

same issue

I am having the same issue with my 2013 wrangler. I went through a carwash 2 days ago. My left signal stopped working then last night my right signal went out. The tail lights and brake lights still work. I atemted to replace the left bulb and the signal still won't work. Does anyone know if there is a sepperate relay I can check for the rear signals?
gingersjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
peckmv

Anytime I change a bulb or open any connector I always use Dielectric grease and have never had any problem with water or corrosion. Just FYI.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckmv View Post
Anytime I change a bulb or open any connector I always use Dielectric grease and have never had any problem with water or corrosion. Just FYI.
I certainly appreciate the efficacy of dielectric grease, and would recommend it for the masses. I myself have never used it, and I commonly keep cars for 10 years and even longer. I never use the grease and have never had a problem. But, I also never take my cars through high pressure car washes, nor leave them outside in the elements for long periods. Nothing preserves cars better than a good garage.
wriggly1dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #14
lawbreaker
2012 WK 

My bulb burned out in my work truck same turn signal bulb as Jeep. Replaced bulb still didn't work, talked to a mechanic at a gas station
he said it could be the ground or would have to diagnose it but he didn't have time.
So I tried the other bulb in the package and it worked fine the bad bulb looked good but was bad.
lawbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2014, 12:14 PM   #15
Corytibbs19

Right tail light car wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Maybe the car wash was coincidental.

possible CAUSES with CORRECTION
ONE TURN SIGNAL LAMP DOES NOT ILLUMINATE
1. Ineffective or missing bulb. 1. Test and replace turn signal bulb if required.
2. Ineffective ground circuit. 2. Test and repair open ground circuit if required.
3. Ineffective feed circuit. 3. Test and repair open right or left turn signal circuit if required.
4. Ineffective TIPM inputs or outputs. 4. Use a diagnostic scan tool to test the TIPM inputs and outputs. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

Is the Jeep still within the terms of the warranty?
Yes, I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee / Overland, my right tail light has gone out three times and I finally figured out why. After watching the guy at the Jeep dealer pull the tail light assembly I discovers a crack/hole in the plastic assembly just above the light bulb which allowed water to drip directly onto the bulb. This is the first time I have watched them replace the bulb. The crack has probably been there for years. Turns out both the left and right side have the same identical cracks. I've replaced the left side once. You can see the crack without taking the tail light assembly off. Just simply look through the plastic above the light bulb. How many others of you have this problem. I think Jeep should replace both assembly's at no charge even though I'm well past the warranty period. The first time this happened, both the left and right bulb burned out within the warranty period. Of course I had to pay for the replacement of both bulbs because bulbs are not covered under the warranty but a defective taillight assembly should be.

Thanks and look forward to replies,
Corytibbs19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.