Researching... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Researching...

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscJeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 12-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
Off Pavement

2013 JK Wrangler 

Researching...

I've been considering a WK2 Laredo 4x4 3.6. Dealers have their "end of year" sales of course, but I'm really sceptical of these come-on advertising campaigns. What's worse is the 2014/15 transmission problems reputation.

I'm looking at a lease return '13 with 34K miles as an alternative to buying new for the older transmission. Cost isn't so much a factor as reliability. Carfax on the '13 is clean.

This will not be an off road vehicle, but will see some snowy roads occasionally.

I don't know Grand Cherokees, but have owned several Wranglers and Cherokees over the years. I'm looking for your thoughts about purchasing new vs used.

Unread 12-31-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I'm not sure where your research turned up 2014/2015 V6 transmission problems. There were some early teething problems, but they seem to have been sorted out, certainly by 2015. There have been some continuous improvement type software updates that many consumer sites count as problems.

The WK2 8 speed is a heck of a better transmission than the old Mercedes NAG transmission used in the 2011-2013 V6, especially if you do any towing. Judging by the reports here, drivability seems so much better and problems seem to be about the same numbers (the NAG was far from trouble free).

So the used vs new thing, in the WK2 case, is more about cost than anything else I think, and is the same as any new vs used discussion. New car fresh smell, depreciation, how long are you driving it, warranty....

There have been some killer deals on used 14s and 15s discussed here recently.
Unread 12-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
Lightninrod
2013 WK 

Well, I'm delighted with my 2013 JGC OVERLAND V8. Bought it used at the end of January of this year with 47k miles on it. Had to replace the DRL bulbs myself and had the dealer install fuel pump relay fix for free. I got the relatively rare 2WD and had the dealer install 4 OEM Goodyear new takeoffs.

Love the 6 speed transmission with its ability shift manually'. It flat out gits and that's from a man that traded in my 2001 Ford SVT Lightning. No, it's not a Lightning but I don't worry about its acceleration.

Averaging 19+ MPG on my current tank of 93 octane Shell with moderate(65-70 mph) on the interstate.

Its comfort and features make it a joy to drive.

Dan
Lightninrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The V8 and V6 use different transmissions and their story is different. The OP asked about V6.

There are certainly some that prefer the operation of the older V8 transmission over the new, most like the new one better. Dunno of anyone, but there may be one or two, that prefers the old NAG V6 transmission over the new 8 speed.
Unread 12-31-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
Kev M
2012 WK 

I guess I might feel different if I drove the new 8-spd, but we've got no complaints with the trans on our 2012 V6. We're at 50k miles with no complaints.

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2015, 09:40 PM   #6
Off Pavement

2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for your responses...

Drove a '14 home this evening.
Unread 01-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
624c
2014 WK 

I bought my 2014 laredo 4x4 with 12k miles from carmax for 29,000. They now have 2015's listed for the same price some with even lower miles. I know you wanted new, as did I when I bought mine, but I couldn't bring my self to drop an extra 10-15 grand just for a new car when I found the one I got for that much less. Might be worth a look.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.