Replacement Windshiled - OEM vs OEE - Recomendations? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Replacement Windshiled - OEM vs OEE - Recomendations?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 05-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Jiffster
2011 WK 

Replacement Windshiled - OEM vs OEE - Recomendations?

I need to have my windshield replaced in my 2011. I had a windshiled replaced in a 2004 and it had waves. Felt like I was wearing a new pair of glasses. I don't want that again.

Do I need to insist on OEM or will OEE glass be the same?

I'm in southern Michigan and have AAA insurance. Safelight is their preffered glass company. They charge $505 out of pocket for OEM glass. Not sure if AAA will approve OEM. Safelight said they almost never do and require OEE glass because it's cheaper.

Now I called Henerson Glass and they want $244 to replace what they say is OEM glass. Half the price of Safelight. Is this too good to be true?

Jiffster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffster View Post
I need to have my windshield replaced in my 2011. I had a windshiled replaced in a 2004 and it had waves. Felt like I was wearing a new pair of glasses. I don't want that again.

Do I need to insist on OEM or will OEE glass be the same?

I'm in southern Michigan and have AAA insurance. Safelight is their preffered glass company. They charge $505 out of pocket for OEM glass. Not sure if AAA will approve OEM. Safelight said they almost never do and require OEE glass because it's cheaper.

Now I called Henerson Glass and they want $244 to replace what they say is OEM glass. Half the price of Safelight. Is this too good to be true?
New pair of glasses, correct on that. I had a 98 Ford Expedition, had windshield replaced, same as you described, made them put on another factory windshield and it was then fixed right.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
chickdr
2014 WK 

The OEM windshields on the VW Touareg were wavy from the factory in many cases....
chickdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
dodge16vrt
1998 ZJ 

Ok, over 20 years as an Auto Glass shop owner and FINALLY retired from that biz. ALWAYS insist on OEM.
Safelites own brand is OEE, A designation made up by them. It is made in Enfield, NC and is JUNK. Then there is re labelled Chinese parts. Safelite even re labels theirs.
You want a REAL Pilkington. Insist on seeing the label on it to see origin of manufacture because all of them rebadge Chinese junk with their names on it. There is a DOT code on every piece of glass that tells you where it was made. Insist on watching them install it and make sure the glass is primed EVEN IF THEY SAY ITS PRIMERLESS GLUE. They also need to prime the body and all scratches they make. If you have a rain sensor if you don't use OEM it will have issues working right. Make sure a new sensor pad is used too if you have one.
AND DONT EVER TRUST ONE DAMN WORD SAFELITE SAYS, Or AAA for that matter. They have a special deal with one another.
dodge16vrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Jiffster
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge16vrt View Post
Ok, over 20 years as an Auto Glass shop owner and FINALLY retired from that biz. ALWAYS insist on OEM.
Safelites own brand is OEE, A designation made up by them. It is made in Enfield, NC and is JUNK. Then there is re labelled Chinese parts. Safelite even re labels theirs.
You want a REAL Pilkington. Insist on seeing the label on it to see origin of manufacture because all of them rebadge Chinese junk with their names on it. There is a DOT code on every piece of glass that tells you where it was made. Insist on watching them install it and make sure the glass is primed EVEN IF THEY SAY ITS PRIMERLESS GLUE. They also need to prime the body and all scratches they make. If you have a rain sensor if you don't use OEM it will have issues working right. Make sure a new sensor pad is used too if you have one.
AND DONT EVER TRUST ONE DAMN WORD SAFELITE SAYS, Or AAA for that matter. They have a special deal with one another.
Ann Arbor Auto Glass told me they use "PGW" glass for their non-OEM version. They said I can get OEM glas made by Pilkington for $320.

I'm leaning towards going with them. I sincerely appreciate the info and advice but I'm not certain I can be as adamant to insist on watching the entire install. Not knowing what the heck I'm doing, I wouldn't know if they're doing it wrong or not!
Unread 05-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

It's been said many times that if you have the rain-sensing wipers, than OEM glass is preferred. Some folks have reported issues with the sensing with non-OEM glass.
Unread 05-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

^^^ Yes definitely use OEM if you have rain sensors. They may still come with the bracket glued in place.
Unread 05-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Jiffster
2011 WK 

I don't have rain sensors but I still want OEM. Does the windshield have to have Mopar on it to be considered OEM or will a windshield from Pilkington fit the bill?
Unread 05-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

I had my OEM windshield with rain sensor replaced on my 2002 Jeep 5 years ago with a OEM replacement ( at that time safelite did not have the rain sensor glass available) . State Farm covered the balance after my $250 deductible . The windshield has held up well . The guy who installed it had been installing windshields for 25 years. he did a great job. I got a lifetime warranty against any installation defects .
Ah673000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
Jiffster
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah673000 View Post
I had my OEM windshield with rain sensor replaced on my 2002 Jeep 5 years ago with a OEM replacement ( at that time safelite did not have the rain sensor glass available) . State Farm covered the balance after my $250 deductible . The windshield has held up well . The guy who installed it had been installing windshields for 25 years. he did a great job. I got a lifetime warranty against any installation defects .
Do you recall where that was and if it had the Mopar label on the glass?
Unread 05-30-2014, 02:26 AM   #11
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Yes it did ........or does....I still own the car .
Ah673000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
Jiffster
2011 WK 

OK guys, appreciate your patience with me.

I spoke with A2 Auto Glass (very reputable in my area) again this morning and they said I can get Mopar glass for $320. It is made by "PGW". They also said I can get "PGW" non-OEM glass that they have had excellent results with for $265. My vehicle does not have rain sensors so no issue there.

http://www.a2autoglass.com/

My insurance (AAA) will not comensate me for Mopar glass because there is a non-OEM glass that meets their requirements. My comp deductable is $250 so no use even making a claim. I changed this moving forward so glass coverage will be $0.

Do you see any issues with using non-OEM PGW glass?
Unread 05-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
2kg4u
2014 WK 

Dodge16vrt is obviously the expert in this thread so I hope he chimes in, but I would like to add my comment. Modern vehicle designs have changed to remove weight while improving survivability for occupants in a crash. As a result, windshield glass has become a key structural component and, in my opinion, should not be modified in any manner. Quality issues aside, any differences between the replacement glass and the OEM installed glass compromises crash worthiness of the vehicle. I think this arguement can be used to insist an insurance company pay for OEM glass, but even if I had to bear the entire expense myself I would never have anything other than OEM glass installed. Its not worth the risk.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #14
elarm1
2011 WK 

I have Safelite (OEE) with rain sensors. No problems here
InTunes by HemiFever
elarm1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
dodge16vrt
1998 ZJ 

Ok, forgot about this thread, Sorry. Anyone with a Safelite windshield that is happy with it is a one in a million. Ask even a Safelite installer what they think. Its the worst on the market.
Rain sensor glass should ALWAYS be OEM.
If OEE is actually OEM then why isn't it OEM? And why don't vehicle manufaturers use it? Hmm.
Heres why. OEE designation was made up by Safelite so they could compete usuing their brand glass. OEE MEETS DOT standards while OEM EXCEEDS it. I could post 1000 pictures of defective OEE glass to 1 true OEM defect.
True, Mopar glass is NOT made by Mopar but a few different manufacturers. PGW (PPG) is one of them. Look at the DOT code. The PGW Mopar will be made at the PGW(PPG) US Plant while the PGW (XYG) non Mopar will be made at XinYI glass in China.
If the PGW glass non Mopar has a US made sticker on it then it is OEM quality, If not well its not.
Pilkington (I was an operations manager for them) Used to be ONLY OEM but this is no longer the case. They were always known as the Cadillac of glass and you paid a premium for it.
Nowadays, They all have an OEE line but only a few get the OEM title and you still have to make sure you are getting a true OEM.
The difference between DEALER OEM and direct supplier OEM is dealer will have the make name.
For example, a manufacture(original) installed glass will always say Toyota on it and underneath say PGW, Lamisafe, LN Libbey Nippon etc. Those are OEM makers. Now you can get an OEM quality glass and it wont say Toyota juts Libbey Nippon, PGW etc. but is exactly thew same glass as long as it comes from the OEM plant.
The cost differences are huge with certain makes. Example, 2005 Corolla dealer glass my cost $890, cost direct from PGW $45.
My shop would not install anything aftermarket unless requested.
If your vehicle is within 3 years of new then DEMAND OEM glass. And Mopar glass has a NAGS part number and can be billed as such by the glass shop just like Fords Carlite glass. There are a few ways to get your Mopar glass and get them to pay. I keep my vehicles registered in SC so free glass for me!
That windshield for your Jeep costs me $78 plus materials for an OEM non Mopar.
dodge16vrt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.