Removing Headlight Bulbs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Removing Headlight Bulbs

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
SixZeroFour
2011 WK 

Removing Headlight Bulbs

Hi all, new to the forum and first time Jeep owner here (WK2) ...

I'm hoping someone might know how I can change the headlight bulbs without having to remove the washer fluid res, intake etc etc.

I seached and found another thread that pointed out the access panels in the wheel well but they might as well not even be there it's so small. You may be able to get to the low beam but dont even think about reaching all the DRL's. Anyways if anyone has any tips or info I'd appreciate it!

Thanks

SixZeroFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

Curious.....why do you want to remove the bulbs?
getoutandplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
SixZeroFour
2011 WK 

I want to upgrade the bulbs for better light output.
Unread 12-23-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
getoutandplay
2011 WK 

Let us know which bulbs you go with. I'd be impressed to see better lights than what it has.
getoutandplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
IndyBob
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutandplay View Post
Let us know which bulbs you go with. I'd be impressed to see better lights than what it has.
I will have to agree with Getout. I am very impressed and happy with the Bi-Xenon headlights and the auto leveling headlight system.
IndyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
2011Hemi
2011 WK 

I would assume he doesn't have the HID headlights if he's looking at changing the bulbs. The Laredos have standard halogen headlights.
2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
SixZeroFour
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Hemi View Post
I would assume he doesn't have the HID headlights if he's looking at changing the bulbs. The Laredos have standard halogen headlights.
Exactly... I have already swapped out the low beams for HID and picked up some Hella bulbs for the DRL's but can't get to them as they are even more obstructed than the low beams.

I managed to get the HID's in there although now my hands look like they went through a meat grinder. There HAS to be a better way to get to these. Do they really expect owners to bring the truck to the dealer just to change a headlight bulb? After some more searching it looks like previous generations of cherokee have a single bolt you remove and the whole headlight comes out - I'm hoping there is something similar on ours.
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
2011Hemi
2011 WK 

I didn't think the Laredos had DRLs.
2011Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
wjs81866

No DRL's on Larado's.

It doesn't appear there is any easy way to change the bulbs, I bought some and took them back without even turning a screw. At this point the trouble to do it far out weighs the benefit of possiblity extra light output or installing HID's.

I was looking at the light itself on the Larado and I'm wondering if you could even install HID's? The Jeep stamp on the light looks like it would make that difficult.
Quadra Trac 2
Lux Group 2
20" tires and rims
Towing package

2) 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X
Blackberry Pearl
5.7L
Quadra Drive 2
Quadra Lift
Laredo X Group 25 package
Chrome Fogs and Mirrors
Off-Road Adventure II Package
P265/60R18 Michelin LTX M/S 2's
BWoody 4" Velocity Intake
wjs81866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
SixZeroFour
2011 WK 

It appears the high beam bulb (9005) operates as a DRL while the low beam is a dedicated headlamp.
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
JTS97Z28

Hopefully those Laredo halogen housings can focus the HID light decently. I have never been a fan of plug and play HID kits in halogen housings, but if you like it thats all that matters. If you wanted excellent lighting should have gotten a basic Limited that comes with auto-level bi-xenon projectors with smart beam high beams. The Limited and Overland headlights have everything!!!!
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
SixZeroFour
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs81866 View Post
No DRL's on Larado's.

It doesn't appear there is any easy way to change the bulbs, I bought some and took them back without even turning a screw. At this point the trouble to do it far out weighs the benefit of possiblity extra light output or installing HID's.

I was looking at the light itself on the Larado and I'm wondering if you could even install HID's? The Jeep stamp on the light looks like it would make that difficult.
Laredo does have DRL's - at least in Canada.

It looks like the high beam runs at half capacity to operate as a DRL. The HID's also fit just fine, and the headlamp provides a nice and consistant beam pattern which is nice. The only issue I have run into is that the lights strobe a bit due to inconsistant power - but I should have that sorted out today with the help of a relay harness.
Unread 12-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
SixZeroFour
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 View Post
If you wanted excellent lighting should have gotten a basic Limited that comes with auto-level bi-xenon projectors with smart beam high beams. The Limited and Overland headlights have everything!!!!
Some might think I am crazy but I really did not like the wood grain look to the limited and overland dash - also the thick, plastic covered steering wheel in the overland felt very strange to me.

I ended up finding a Laredo-X tailored exactly to what I was looking for. Loaded up with the Off-Road Adventure Pack (Quadra-trac II, Select-terrain, skid plates etc), Towing Package, Nav, Black Comodo Dash trim and all the rest... essentially its a Limited without the different wheels, wood look trim and HID. Missing out on the HID was the only sacrifice I had to make, but to get the interior I wanted it was worth it considering I could add an aftermarket kit and achieve similar results.
Unread 12-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
SixZeroFour
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 View Post
Hopefully those Laredo halogen housings can focus the HID light decently.
I know EXACTLY what you mean and was a bit concerned about this. Thankfully there is a nice sharp cut-off to the beam that looks factory. I`ll try to get some pics once I have it finished up later today.
Unread 12-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
wjs81866

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixZeroFour View Post
Some might think I am crazy but I really did not like the wood grain look to the limited and overland dash - also the thick, plastic covered steering wheel in the overland felt very strange to me.

I ended up finding a Laredo-X tailored exactly to what I was looking for. Loaded up with the Off-Road Adventure Pack (Quadra-trac II, Select-terrain, skid plates etc), Towing Package, Nav, Black Comodo Dash trim and all the rest... essentially its a Limited without the different wheels, wood look trim and HID. Missing out on the HID was the only sacrifice I had to make, but to get the interior I wanted it was worth it considering I could add an aftermarket kit and achieve similar results.
We have a Limited but that's the wife's Jeep. I agree with you, I got the Larado X with offroad 2 and Quadra drive 2 and quadra lift. The headlights were the only thing I wished it had.
Quadra Trac 2
Lux Group 2
20" tires and rims
Towing package

2) 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X
Blackberry Pearl
5.7L
Quadra Drive 2
Quadra Lift
Laredo X Group 25 package
Chrome Fogs and Mirrors
Off-Road Adventure II Package
P265/60R18 Michelin LTX M/S 2's
BWoody 4" Velocity Intake
wjs81866 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.