Remove your grill WITHOUT removing the bumper cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Remove your grill WITHOUT removing the bumper cover

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
slayer6x6

Remove your grill WITHOUT removing the bumper cover

It seems that after searching, most instructions have you remove the bumper cover if you'd like to swap or paint your grill. This seems like a lot of work for a very simple job. I'm not the first one to figure this out, but some of the other instructions are a bit difficult to find, so hopefully this thread will pop up for new members that are searching. Props to Nubby105 for digging up the original instructions. I'd figure I would post this while I'm waiting for my plasti dip to dry.

Before you start, having a set of these inexpensive plastic panel tools will make your job a bit easier.

You want to start by pulling up gently on this plastic trim piece to release the metal panel clips underneath.

Once you have released all of those clips, you'll be able to pull that piece forward to expose the clips that actually hole the grill on, pictured here.

Once you can see those retaining clips, you can grab you plastic wedges and gently spread apart the black plastic clips while pulling gently on the grill to free the chrome part of the grill. I recommend you start with the outer most clip and work your way across, they tend to get easier as you move along.

Once the entire top row of clips is released, you can pull gently across the bottom part of the grill to release the lower clips. Those come off a lot easier than the top ones.

And its as easy as that, hopefully this saves somebody from pulling the entire bumper cover, just like I was about to do. Good luck.

slayer6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
nubby105
2011 WK 

Nice post.
nubby105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
petetherocker
2012 WK 

I'm not sure what year yours is, but mine is a 2012, and there are 2 lower fasteners (bolts) # 3 in image below that secure the grill assembly to the vehicle, and they CANNOT be accessed without removing the fascia. I know because I've done it.

petetherocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
slayer6x6

Thats odd, mines a 2011. I couldn't imagine they changed from year to year, but I guess anythings possible.
slayer6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherocker View Post
I'm not sure what year yours is, but mine is a 2012, and there are 2 lower fasteners (bolts) # 3 in image below that secure the grill assembly to the vehicle, and they CANNOT be accessed without removing the fascia. I know because I've done it.

I think slayer6x6 is just pulling the outer shell.

In either case, it's not terribly difficult to simply remove the bumper cover.
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
nubby105
2011 WK 

Chrome Only Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherocker View Post

The Chrome Only piece can be removed without the bumper being removed.
nubby105 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.