Removal of chrome trim/body work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Removal of chrome trim/body work

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 08-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
jcav8r

Removal of chrome trim/body work

Hey everyone...

New to the forum, and recently purchased my first Jeep. Picked up a white 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland a couple weeks ago. I've had my eye on one for a while and I am totally in love.

I'm wondering if anyone can reference any past threads with some tutorials on how to safely and/or easily remove all of the exterior chrome trim pieces (like the hood grills, lower bumper accent, and fog lamp trims). I'd like to plasti dip them black instead of chrome. Hoping it's as simple as popping them out and back in, but haven't had a serious look yet and was hoping someone on here has gone before me and can offer some advice and tips!

Also, if anyone knows a good sight for aftermarket accessories, that would help. Right now I just want a few simple cosmetics, like black badges etc, as well as any options for "plugging" the holes in the front bumper that were a result of the dealership drilling the license place frame to the car. (They are required in WA state, but I have never used a front plate and have never been cited. I refuse!)

Thanks in advance...happy to be here and looking forward to learning more about these wonderful cars. I will post a photo soon....

jcav8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Greetings

Instead of referencing multiple threads, including my own below, try using the search function. This has been covered many times. There have been several of us that have Plasti-Dipped the chrome. I know one guy also did the door/window trim. I did the front and gear chrome. I tried the door trim but I failed superbly.

justforjeeps.com is a decent place. Quadratec has some good stuff for Jeeps.

I also removed the chrome badges. Some guys Plasti-Dipped those as well.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
jeepers2265

If you watch a lot of the videos they do a lot of it with it on the car since you can remove it easily and creates a good line around the chrome. Some things you might want to move but you mask it slightly and leave a gap for it to touch the paint so you can peel it should work. Youtube is your friend.
jeepers2265 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
jcav8r

Tail lights done! Ended up just taping them off and plasti-dipping. Came out pretty well.....Ran out of daylight or would have done more. Thoughts?

Unread 08-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
DiodeDynamics
Jeep Lighting Experts
2011 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the Forums!

Yes, plasti-dip is your friend when it comes to blacking things out inexpensively. Or you can try vinyl wrap for the window trim.

If you wish to remove your logos, I'd suggest using a blow-dryer / fishing line or floss and using goo-b-gone to remove the residue from the adhesive.

Nice looking Jeep you got there!

Nick C.

Lighting / Acrylic Your Source For Jeep Lighting and Acrylic
We have the LOWEST PRICES around... check us out! > www.diodedynamics.com
DiodeDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
jcav8r

Should the grill rings on the 2014 GC just pop out? Not sure how to pop them out without breaking anything...

Last edited by jcav8r; 08-22-2013 at 05:39 PM..
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
DiodeDynamics
Jeep Lighting Experts
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcav8r View Post
Should the grill rings on the 2014 GC just pop out? Not sure how to pop them out without breaking anything...
I imagine you can probably find a good video on youtube or ask the dealer for more help. There should be a procedure that will allow it to come out without damaging anything.

Nick C.

Lighting / Acrylic Your Source For Jeep Lighting and Acrylic
We have the LOWEST PRICES around... check us out! > www.diodedynamics.com
DiodeDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 04:00 AM   #8
pwrdbym

To get rid of the holes in your bumper:
https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.ph...gory&path=1_11
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.