Recovering a GC that doesnt have Recovery Hooks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Recovering a GC that doesnt have Recovery Hooks

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Munson

Recovering a GC that doesnt have Recovery Hooks

I am just thinking ahead to this winter. My 2013 GC does not have recovery hooks. If I should get a little stuck in the snow, how would someone with a pickup up pull me out? What would they latch on to? I would carry whatever straps are necessary for the job with me.

A little more info: I am a snowmobiler and use the GC to tow a two place enclosed sled trailer. Sometimes parking lots aren't plowed well or they are plowed when I unload at 8am but 12" of snow have fallen by the time I get back in the pm. My friends have bigger, more capable pick ups and would pull me out if necessary but I don't know what they would attach the straps to. Thanks

Munson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

Good question. I am getting the popcorn ready, gonna sit back, relax and wait to see what responses come in.
wriggly1dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The tow hitch with a proper recovery accessory makes for a decent rear end recovery point. Dunno what you would do if the trailer is attached, perhaps much shoveling. You can add front tow hooks to most models. Somewhat a PITA for the do it yourselfer.
Unread 12-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
WvTaco
2011 WK 

snow chains/ snow tires and leave them behind?

but just get the tow hooks. because without them i dont see any attachment points on the front.
http://www.justforjeeps.com/fronttowhooks1.html
and this

http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-293...hitch+recovery
never pull anyone with the ball on the hitch. most 2inch balls are rated at 3500-6000k lbs. so a 5000k lbs suv and a 5k truck pulling against it exceed the weight limit and they snap.

what do you mean they have more capable trucks?
i was able to make it up an untreated mountain last year that a 2011 crew cab 4x4 z71 silverado( with the locker in the rear) on dueler a/ts couldnt. surprised the hell out of me, just keep my foot into it.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
modernblueWK

Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
DirtyTires
2011 WK 

Check this out too:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/h...towing-943129/
2011 Laredo X 4x4, ORA 1, Quad Trac II 4WD, Wild Country XTX Sport 265/70/17, American Racing ATX series AX188 Ledge, RRO 2.5 lift, PIAA 510 & 520 ATP Aux lights, Yakima roof rack, Mopar rock rails, dealer OEM hitch, RR winch mount and brush bar, Smitty 10K winch, RR pre-runner skid plate, slightly de-chromed.
DirtyTires is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Raptor

If your going to carry something in your WK2 for recovery and you don't have front recovery hooks or a D-ring receiver for your rear hitch (Like posted by modernblue above) I would get a V bridle with cluster hooks. You can use one of these to recover from the front while a trailer is still connected to your rear towing receiver!

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Towing...eb-3-335-W-L-L

All Chrysler/GM vehicles use a "T hook" to fit into slots founds in the unibody, Ford products use the "r hook" and most all imports use a "J hook"

Note; the OEM foam carrier that holds the OEM jack in the spare tire compartment does have a molded space to store a D-ring receiver, you must remove the shackle from it first to store it there though! I highly recommend you get one!

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Winches-Jeep...FVLxOgodzB4A6A
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.