Recovering a GC that doesnt have Recovery Hooks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Recovering a GC that doesnt have Recovery Hooks

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 12-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Munson

Recovering a GC that doesnt have Recovery Hooks

I am just thinking ahead to this winter. My 2013 GC does not have recovery hooks. If I should get a little stuck in the snow, how would someone with a pickup up pull me out? What would they latch on to? I would carry whatever straps are necessary for the job with me.

A little more info: I am a snowmobiler and use the GC to tow a two place enclosed sled trailer. Sometimes parking lots aren't plowed well or they are plowed when I unload at 8am but 12" of snow have fallen by the time I get back in the pm. My friends have bigger, more capable pick ups and would pull me out if necessary but I don't know what they would attach the straps to. Thanks

Munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

Good question. I am getting the popcorn ready, gonna sit back, relax and wait to see what responses come in.
wriggly1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
ColdCase

2011 WK 

The tow hitch with a proper recovery accessory makes for a decent rear end recovery point. Dunno what you would do if the trailer is attached, perhaps much shoveling. You can add front tow hooks to most models. Somewhat a PITA for the do it yourselfer.
Unread 12-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
WvTaco
2011 WK 

snow chains/ snow tires and leave them behind?

but just get the tow hooks. because without them i dont see any attachment points on the front.
http://www.justforjeeps.com/fronttowhooks1.html
and this

http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-293...hitch+recovery
never pull anyone with the ball on the hitch. most 2inch balls are rated at 3500-6000k lbs. so a 5000k lbs suv and a 5k truck pulling against it exceed the weight limit and they snap.

what do you mean they have more capable trucks?
i was able to make it up an untreated mountain last year that a 2011 crew cab 4x4 z71 silverado( with the locker in the rear) on dueler a/ts couldnt. surprised the hell out of me, just keep my foot into it.
WvTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
modernblueWK

Blue WK club #4
2013 HEMI Durango Awd Crew. All stock
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
DirtyTires
2011 WK 

Check this out too:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/h...towing-943129/
2011 Laredo X 4x4, ORA 1, Quad Trac II 4WD, Wild Country XTX Sport 265/70/17, American Racing ATX series AX188 Ledge, RRO 2.5 lift, PIAA 510 & 520 ATP Aux lights, Yakima roof rack, Mopar rock rails, dealer OEM hitch, RR winch mount and brush bar, Smitty 10K winch, RR pre-runner skid plate, slightly de-chromed.
DirtyTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
Raptor

If your going to carry something in your WK2 for recovery and you don't have front recovery hooks or a D-ring receiver for your rear hitch (Like posted by modernblue above) I would get a V bridle with cluster hooks. You can use one of these to recover from the front while a trailer is still connected to your rear towing receiver!

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Towing...eb-3-335-W-L-L

All Chrysler/GM vehicles use a "T hook" to fit into slots founds in the unibody, Ford products use the "r hook" and most all imports use a "J hook"

Note; the OEM foam carrier that holds the OEM jack in the spare tire compartment does have a molded space to store a D-ring receiver, you must remove the shackle from it first to store it there though! I highly recommend you get one!

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Winches-Jeep...FVLxOgodzB4A6A
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.