Reassure me please. Possible new Jeep owner - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Reassure me please. Possible new Jeep owner

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #31
PhillyAnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-G View Post

2014 JCG Summit has spend the most time in the bays. There is allot of computer code that controls this vehicle and with so many electronics that go along with it I opted for the 7 year extended warranty. So far I have had to bring it in for dead screens, trim repair and flaking paint off the front bumper as well as the quarterly software updates. While I have had to spend more time at the shop with the Summit I am not "kicking" myself for the purchase.
Thanks for your feedback, Ken. When did you purchase your 2014 and do you know its build date? I am planning on a Summit myself and am excited to get it, but am taking whatever precautions I can to make sure I get a good one.

Tell me a little more about the flaking paint off your front bumper. Did you just notice it one day? What did the dealer say about it? I have heard a few other people mention that issue.

Also what engine did you get in yours? I am hoping not to kick myself in the butt for wanting the hemi. The V6 wasn't bad when I test drove it. I'm probably never going to tow anything unless I get a trailer for my motorcycle. I just want the extra umph and passing speed that comes with the V8.

PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #32
Ken-G
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyAnt View Post
Thanks for your feedback, Ken. When did you purchase your 2014 and do you know its build date? I am planning on a Summit myself and am excited to get it, but am taking whatever precautions I can to make sure I get a good one.

Tell me a little more about the flaking paint off your front bumper. Did you just notice it one day? What did the dealer say about it? I have heard a few other people mention that issue.

Also what engine did you get in yours? I am hoping not to kick myself in the butt for wanting the hemi. The V6 wasn't bad when I test drove it. I'm probably never going to tow anything unless I get a trailer for my motorcycle. I just want the extra umph and passing speed that comes with the V8.
No problem.

I had to look at my build date and it is 5/13 so I am a early '14 build. I purchased in late July and by the time I received the vehicle it went through its third Dealer to Dealer trade.

About a month after purchase I noticed the clear coat was flaking off in about quarter sized chunks. I brought it in and the service manager took pictures and stated she would get back with me. After about two weeks I called back and they admitted Chrysler tried to claim it was that way on delivery and I accepted a damaged vehicle. My service manager knew better not to mention we had to return the vehicle to have the Zurich Shield applied 48 hours after accepting the vehicle. There was no way that salesman, myself and the service department all missed the "damage." It took another week but finally Chrysler authorized the repair. Of course the off site body-shop screwed the repair and I had to refuse the repair and had it sent right back to the body shop. Needless to say the GM got involved and we got the vehicle back in 3 days (went in Friday and was back on Monday AM.)

The research that I did there seems to be no trends as far as why some vehicles flake and other do not. One professional painter on another forum claimed improper curing process. Regardless my bumper looks as good as new.

I made a list of what was important in my GC.

1. Summit Edition
2. V6 <- I was tired of mid teens in fuel economy from the Rubicon
3. Tow Package <- They ended up adding this as a dealer option
4. Canyon Brown Interior <- I did not want a black interior in AL
5. 4X4 package

Based on my list and priorities my dealer worked a trade for a White Summit V6 2WD. 4x4 in the V6 was very difficult to find as few came off the factory that way. I could have ordered but there was unprecedented sale of Jeeps when I bought mine, a factory order would most likely have been 6 to 8 weeks according to the Chrysler rep.

I had no problem with the V6 and find it has plenty of passing power, realize I am coming from a JK Rubicon which was a press the accelerator and count to five. In Sport mode the heavy Jeep really has some get up and go. I also occasionally pull a 6x12 enclosed trailer for my H-D VRSCD bike (670 lbs) and it has no problems. But, the Hemi would make easy work of such a light trailer. Still the Pentastar V6 has as much HP as last decades PowerTech V8.

I get 21 to 22 MPG with average small town driving and jump to 24 with short highway jaunts. On the Interstate at 70MPH I easily get 25-26MPG all day long. Pulling the trailer I drop to 14-16MPG highway.

There are people here reporting great MPH with the Hemi engines some as high as 25MPG interstate. I would take the high numbers with a grain of salt as I bet they are downhill with a tailwind, but still 20MPG on a big V8 SUV is great numbers. The extra ponies when it comes to heavy pulling or just wanting to merge into traffic will help.

Overall I really enjoy the Summit and find it as luxurious as some of the Mercedes S-Classes I have driven for work. Clearly the Mercs were in a class above the GC but still for a reasonable price you cannot beat the creature comforts. The heated and cooled seats make long trips very nice and turn a hot summer day into comfort quickly. The panoramic sunroof brings the world into the cab and is the perfect compromise to a nice ride while still enjoying that top down feeling without all the heat and wind. I love the Adaptive Cruise Control, automatic headlights and even the rain sensing windshield wipers. All work great except the windshield wipers every now and then gets confused. The infotainment system is great! I miss my JK but enjoy the GC so much, especially when it comes time to fill the tank!

Best of luck with your purchase.
Ken-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #33
PhillyAnt

Thanks for taking the time to share some feedback, Ken. I appreciate it!
PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #34
golfercat
2014 WK 

If i had read this forum with all of its nay sayers and negitivity prior to buying my 2014 Summit, I probably wouldnt have bought it. I made it a point not to get an early model as I wanted the initial bugs worked out. I had the last recall procedure done having had no issues. So far, i have over 9k miles on it with no problems.

I wo u ld advise you to get the model and options you want and drive and enjoy it. I am very pleased with my 14 JGC Summit (July 13 build).
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #35
JeepInTC
2014 WK 

Similar boat as OP, except I already made the purchase. 2014 Laredo E with all weather capability package (I live in Northern Michigan). Just bought new this week with 9 miles. 60 miles so far with no issues (knock on wood).

I never owned a Jeep before. For some inexplicable reason I did relatively limited research before buying. Everyone who owns a Jeep loves one, right?? Anyway, I am supremely disappointed in the sound system (didn't really focus on that during the test drive) and Googled it this morning to see what others thought about it. It was then I stumbled on all the horror stories and am sort of freaking out a bit. My rig has nine miles, fresh off the truck from Chrysler, is my understanding. I am hoping it was built late enough that I will avoid many of the issues others are describing. I am already absolutely at the limits of what I can afford, but I thought I'd get higher quality with that bigger price tag.

Looking for reassurance, I guess. I was not particularly impressed with my experience at the dealership, which makes me more nervous.
JeepInTC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.