Reassure me please. Possible new Jeep owner - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Reassure me please. Possible new Jeep owner

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 02-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #16
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckmv View Post
I'm sure there are well built Jeeps. I have had nothing but problems with mine. The quality is lacking and my problems go way past squeaks and software issues. If I had to do it over again Jeep would not be my choice. This will be my last Chrysler product. You must decide for yourself but my advice would be buyer beware.
So what exactly were all your specific issues?

WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:14 AM   #17
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Quote:
I'm sure there are well built Jeeps. I have had nothing but problems with mine. The quality is lacking and my problems go way past squeaks and software issues. If I had to do it over again Jeep would not be my choice. This will be my last Chrysler product. You must decide for yourself but my advice would be buyer beware.
What I think everyone is missing in this thread about "any" vehicle is whatever your choice is in what you buy, you can either get a great one or a bad one. That's just the way it is with buying a car. I've owned over a hundred different cars, trucks, suv's, vans, high performance sports cars. Most of them have been very good and no major problems. On Jeeps, I've owned 4, Wrangler, Wrangler Unlimited, Liberty CRD, Grand Cherokee and have had no major or ongoing issues. My priorities are: reliability, comfort, performance, style, price and dealership relation. The worse in all my catagories of above was a 1998 BMW Z3 which I bought for my Wife but she didn't drive it much so I did most of the driving. Was glad to get it out of my garage. Traded in on 2002 VW Jetta TDI for mostly work vehicle, which was one of the best cars I've ever owned.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #18
PhillyAnt

Quote:
What year, make and model did you own and can you be more specific about the problems you had?
PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #19
esimp

I'm in agreement with Bullheadbud regarding the randomness of car reliability. I was aware of the issues when I purchased my 14 GC Hemi 2 weeks ago. While the issues reported on the V6/transmission pair and the software issues gave me pause, it really came down to what I was in the market for. I was in the market for a good looking, high quality interior SUV that had enough to comfortably pull my boat/trailer and had a good 4x4 system - snow in winter, limited off road (I'm a geologist), and seaweed slippery boat ramps in summer at low tide. That meant 5,000 pound tow capacity or more. My other options in the market were Ford Explorer (Sync reliability issues and a floaty, almost granda car ride), Chevy products (I will never ever own a GM again after one threw a rod out on a cold dark deserted Vermont highway on me). Or a Toyota Highlander (not nearly as nice inside), or one of the German offerings (Audi, BMW, VW SUVS). Those bump into the 50-60k range and that is simply a dollar amount I'm not willing to spend.

So, hence the Jeep. I suspect that a Honda Civic might be more reliable than my new Jeep GC. But a Honda Civic isn't going to tow my boat. I view the Jeep GC as the nicest of the offerings that meet my vehicle criteria within my price range. I don't see the competitors to that set of requirements to be any more or less reliable. And those competitors are certainly not nearly as nice to ride around in.

Will it be reliable? I don't know, but I hope so. The most reliable car we ever owned was a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser believe it or not. The least reliable car we ever owned was my wife's 2005 Town & Country minivan (not counting the dead Vermont Buick). Other vehicles I've owned that were neither very reliable nor very unreliable were a Ford, a Mazda, and more recently a 2010 minivan (sticky transmission).
esimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #20
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnabors View Post
I wouldn't worry. I have a 2014 Summit with the Hemi, build date is July 2014.
Other than a couple of minor software flashes I have had no problems--- the car is awesome!!
July 2014...

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #21
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
So what exactly were all your specific issues?
Its a 2012 Overland with 5.7 and Quadra drive 4x4

Pcv bad
smoking engine at start up (had to replace oil pan and windage tray)
glove box popping open all by its self
broken shock (twice)
high speed vibration
water in headlights
water in taillights
leaking rear window
rattle in sunroof (had to replace entire sunroof)
squeaking drivers seat
bad brake sensor
bad transfer case motor
radio looses presets
wheels corroding ( had all four wheels replaced)
TPMS sensors bad (had to replace 2)
OEM tires only lasted 30k miles
Squeaking parking brake

This is it so far and I only have 36k miles.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #22
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullheadbud View Post
What I think everyone is missing in this thread about "any" vehicle is whatever your choice is in what you buy, you can either get a great one or a bad one. That's just the way it is with buying a car. I've owned over a hundred different cars, trucks, suv's, vans, high performance sports cars. Most of them have been very good and no major problems. On Jeeps, I've owned 4, Wrangler, Wrangler Unlimited, Liberty CRD, Grand Cherokee and have had no major or ongoing issues. My priorities are: reliability, comfort, performance, style, price and dealership relation. The worse in all my catagories of above was a 1998 BMW Z3 which I bought for my Wife but she didn't drive it much so I did most of the driving. Was glad to get it out of my garage. Traded in on 2002 VW Jetta TDI for mostly work vehicle, which was one of the best cars I've ever owned.
I agree that its basically the luck of the draw. This Jeep is my second Chrysler product and both have been plagued with issues. I have had my best luck with Chevy. My wifes Hyundai has never had one issue. I understand it also depends on the model, as some brands make junk along with quality models. I just feel that when I spend just short of 50k for a product it shouldn't have this many issues.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #23
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Its a 2012 Overland with 5.7 and Quadra drive 4x4

Pcv bad
smoking engine at start up (had to replace oil pan and windage tray)
glove box popping open all by its self
broken shock (twice)
high speed vibration
water in headlights
water in taillights
leaking rear window
rattle in sunroof (had to replace entire sunroof)
squeaking drivers seat
bad brake sensor
bad transfer case motor
radio looses presets
wheels corroding ( had all four wheels replaced)
TPMS sensors bad (had to replace 2)
OEM tires only lasted 30k miles
Squeaking parking brake

This is it so far and I only have 36k miles.
sounds like you possibly got the single most unreliable grand cherokee ever built. probably by some drunks on a Friday afternoon.

Obviously not typical of a Grand Cherokee, but I can see how that could steer someone away.
Unread 02-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #24
LouC
2007 WK 

178/100=less than 2 problems per vehicle. OMG, the end of the world. I will keep buying my Jeeps and not support those who do not believe in free trade, and you know who I mean. I have driven the new WK II and it is just great. I like my Hemi WK and also still have our old 98 ZJ that my son drives now.
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #25
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

It's still kinda early for me to comment on this subject - but I bought my 1st GC a little over a year ago new off a dealers lot with 6 miles on it, and have about 8600 mi on it currently. Not one problem of any significance has occurred. It's a great ride IMO, and the best SUV for the money I have ever driven. I suggest you go for it ...
13ovsummit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #26
EC135
2014 WK 

Also possible new Jeep owner

Hello everyone,
I am brand new to this forum and website as well as to possible Jeep ownership. I am coming from a 2006 Ford F150 Lariat and have always admired the jeep and its owners. I have test driven many SUV's recently and have been at this for about a month now. I love the 14 JGC inside and out, the ride is smooth and the HEMI is great as well as the interior is beautiful. However like some others I am hesitant to pull the trigger and spend the money on a new or barely used GC as I have read a lot of negative reviews about it, I have also read just as many great reviews too. I figured I would just post and see what others thought about the matter and whether or not I should get the ORII package included. I am not trying to beat a dead horse here but I find it always helps getting others opinions
EC135 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:51 AM   #27
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

I always find these threads interesting ..... Because a problem for each owner is defined differently . I have 2002 and 2014 Jeep GCs.

The 2002 now has 162k of flawless miles.... Did I have any problems.... Yep..... 2...... ( window regulators and blend doors) . Repaired them myself ( less then 6 total hours and <$300) . Best truck I have ever owned .

The 2014 has had exactly zero problems ( June build) but has been recalled for a computer flash update . Averaged 22 mpg so far .

To me a problem is a major issue that takes your vehicle off the road for days and the resolution is not satisfactory .

All cars have problems to some.... None to others. Worst cars ever owned for me were a 1986 Honda and a 1988 Ford. Best ever was a 2000 Mazda that had zero issues for the first 100k and 12 years.

For the folks with the original question..... If you like the Jeep GC .... Then buy it from a quality dealer with a reputable shop and odds are you will have a very good experience with few real problems. My daughter wants zero issues .... None.... When she buys a car.... She just buys Hondas ..... So far after owning three .... She has had zero issues ..... But her cars are boring .... Jeeps are not boring but the reliability risk is a bit higher .

Also understand the challenges of where you live .... You want to drive down a dirt road with potholes every day, drive on salt covered roads every winter, park your truck outside under a shade tree every night, etc..... You probably will have more problems.
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:06 AM   #28
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

I had a 2011 JGC x 2+ yrs and had one bad key fob, thats it

I now have a 2014 with a lot more tech and every issue has been software related I believe. They do an update and thats it. Oh, my QL button was sticking for a while, then it got better in its own, they replaced it anyway

If you want 'reliable' buy a vehcile from any make that has very few options, gadgets, widgets.
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 05:29 AM   #29
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Problem is Sergio

and his desire to sell as many Jeeps as possible so he and his friends and Italy can use the profits for their own uses. The goal is to sell a million Jeeps a year and this makes reliability and building vehicles w/o issues even tougher for Jeep. The GC plant doesnt have the best UAW workforce when it comes to reliability. Its a crap shoot you can get a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry with just as many issues if not more.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #30
Ken-G
2014 WK 

I am on my 4th Jeep and am as happy as ever with the purchase. I have owned 2 x Wranglers and 2 x JGCs.

My first 2000 TJ Sahara only spent a 1/2 day in maintenance other than fluid changes (Water pump went out at 30K.) The TJ was rock solid and I still kick myself for selling.

My 2003 JGC Freedom did not spend one day in the bay other than fluid changes.

2007 JK Rubicon had some problems on slick roads with its traction control. There were also a few recalls but the vehicle was rock solid. Believe me I treated this one like a Jeep and had it off road a few days after purchase.

2014 JCG Summit has spend the most time in the bays. There is allot of computer code that controls this vehicle and with so many electronics that go along with it I opted for the 7 year extended warranty. So far I have had to bring it in for dead screens, trim repair and flaking paint off the front bumper as well as the quarterly software updates. While I have had to spend more time at the shop with the Summit I am not "kicking" myself for the purchase.

You can take two cars right off the factory floor and one may be problem free and the other a lemon. This is what the warranty is all about, I would not be so much concerned about the number of warranty complaints, but the number of unresolved warranty complaints. I bought three out of my four Jeeps from the same dealer and the Service Manager knows me by name. I get great customer service and the dealer went to bat for me when Chrysler tried to back out of the paint repair. I think a good dealership is essential to a good Jeep experience.
Ken-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.