Reassure me please. Possible new Jeep owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Reassure me please. Possible new Jeep owner

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
PhillyAnt

Reassure me please. Possible new Jeep owner

Someone shared this link with me today and told me to reconsider my purchase. I'm about to buy my first ever Jeep. I'm coming from a 2012 Lincoln MKX that didn't have too many problems. I am planning on a 2014 Summit with the hemi and granite crystal color. One of the biggest concerns I had was dependability. I have heard from past Jeep owners that they had their share of issues and to run away from buying one. My dealer has been telling me that things have improved and not to worry. Been doing lots of research and I decided I was going to go for it but then someone shared this with me. Shows Jeep being one of the most unreliable brands to get.

Here is some text from the link below.

"Jeep is known for making some of the most capable off-road vehicles you can buy. But while they may be able to tackle the Rubicon Trail with minimal issue, dependability seems to be a mountain that the brand cannot scale. The American SUVs suffered from 178 problems per 100 vehicles, according to the study."

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/best-quality-cars/

Does anyone have anything they can share to make me feel better about doing this? I appreciate your time.

PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Gunny7
2014 WK 

My 2014 overland, picked up Dec 21, 2013, has the Hemi, 4x4. Loaded except for the extra radio.
It is perfect.
Best riding, best driving, tightest feeling.

I have also read all the problems here and as far as I can tell most have been the --Software--.
The last update of about October something has fixed this.
Transmission, this u connect, etc, etc.
We ordered ours and it was built about Dec 1.
Had all updates.
All is well.

I think, just today, something came up about reflashing the computer to address the heated steering wheel and seats if very cold.
A minor thing. As I live in SE Texas. But will get updated if I ever get to my Dealer.
My Ram 2500 HD diesel never ever needed to go back for anything.
My dealer sent me Christmas Cards.

I did put Goodyear Wrangler AT with Kevlor. Stock size. It's a Jeep for goodness sake,
Drives and rides perfect.

I would order one.
Off the lot you get the oldest in inventory.

I looked at the survey and to a certain point they may be right.

This 8 sp transmission is a ZF -German design-maybe the best there is.
But it is computer controlled. This whole thing is.

Quite a few very high end brands use this transmission.
Chrysler has built a plant to manufacture these in, Georgia or SC. QC has to be to ZF aspects because ZF can use this output for their use if needed.
I guess the software isn't included.
Steep learning curve.
Used now in all Chrysler cars.
Pretty much figured out now.

The survey covered the early to maybe early Oct 2014 built. People did have fits. Re Flashing seems to have addressed most. Anybody now with a problem in this area needs to get themselves to the Dealer.

By the way the SRT uses the same series ZF--70 series. HEMI won't strain it. Diesel either.

Anything can happen but I wouldn't have a problem buying another GC

Might have to when they come out with the Supercharged GC SRT.
Will use the 90 series ZF 8 speed.

This is just me thinking about this.
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Nookie
2014 WK 

178/100 does not tell you much. 178 what rattles ?, transmission ? cosmetic ?
Do they take manufacuring volumes into account ?
I'm on my 5th Jeep, all had something that required dealer service but nothing major including the 2014 one (sofar).

Have owners here reported anything to JD lately ?
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
PhillyAnt

Thanks for writing, Gunny7.

Is there a certain build date I should look for if I'm not ordering a new one direct from the factory? The dealer located the one I wanted and he said the ship date was 10/16/13. Not sure what the build date was but I'm assuming it was September or October.
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
TurboRush

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyAnt View Post
Someone shared this link with me today and told me to reconsider my purchase. I'm about to buy my first ever Jeep. I'm coming from a 2012 Lincoln MKX that didn't have too many problems. I am planning on a 2014 Summit with the hemi and granite crystal color. One of the biggest concerns I had was dependability. I have heard from past Jeep owners that they had their share of issues and to run away from buying one. My dealer has been telling me that things have improved and not to worry. Been doing lots of research and I decided I was going to go for it but then someone shared this with me. Shows Jeep being one of the most unreliable brands to get.

Here is some text from the link below.

"Jeep is known for making some of the most capable off-road vehicles you can buy. But while they may be able to tackle the Rubicon Trail with minimal issue, dependability seems to be a mountain that the brand cannot scale. The American SUVs suffered from 178 problems per 100 vehicles, according to the study."

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/best-quality-cars/

Does anyone have anything they can share to make me feel better about doing this? I appreciate your time.
If you read the actual study it's for 2011 model year. As for the 2014s the very early builds had some issues... Some software some QC. Things have improved from the June builds on IMHO, software issues related to the v6 trans has been resolved (never complaints for the 8 speed in the hemi) and the latest uconnect software is pretty solid.

That said there is always a risk with any vehicle (look at Toyota recalling million vehicles this week, gm recalling 2014 trucks for fire risk). I think the early issues with the 2014s have largely been worked out, and you'll find plenty of people that love their new Jeep. Make sure you have a good dealer, I get the sense that when people do have issues it's not major most of the time but poor dealers significantly add to the frustration of what would be a small issue.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
Gunny7
2014 WK 

The things I gave seen are the updates of October covered the software.
I would try to get in this area, but if only software, your dealers find should be fine. But it's been sitting around for 3-4 months
Kinda fun to order and wait.
Adventure.
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
rnabors
2014 WJ 

I wouldn't worry. I have a 2014 Summit with the Hemi, build date is July 2014.
Other than a couple of minor software flashes I have had no problems--- the car is awesome!!
rnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
PhillyAnt

Thanks everyone! My lease is up on the 23rd so I wouldn't have time to order one brand new. I'm looking forward to getting this. Just trying to decide between leasing and buying. I have only purchased 2 cars and have leased about 5. I like getting into something new every 2-3 years but I might want to do custom work on my jeep which would mean having to own it. Decisions decisions...
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
Kev M
2012 WK 

I've spent more than two decades in the service and repair industry (compiling data, working with shops, writing repair information).

What I've found is that there is NO perfect vehicle, they ALL BREAK SOMETIMES.

That these surveys are spurious at best.

That a good dealer is worth as much or more than a good brand reputation.

And with all that data we currently own a Jeep, Nissan, Harley, Buell, Ducati, and Guzzi.

Really happiness is more than a statistic.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
HaydenHunter
2014 WK 

2014 Grand Cherokee Limted bought in November. It is a July build. Has been perfect. This JGC replaced a 1997 JGC. 182K and a reliable ride. We just wanted something new. We would not have bought another Jeep if not happy in this regard.
HaydenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:04 AM   #11
RMCIII
1998 ZJ 

Everything comes with a price....As Kev stated, and it is true, all vehicles have some sort of issues. Nothing is perfect, because humans are not perfect. That being said....Regardless of what you do, do it with all your heart. < Serious about that. Life is about learning...Sometimes you smash a grand slam, sometimes you strike out... The point is you learn from all of this....I can't tell you how many people I have suggested buying a Cadillac, but at the same time, I tell them be prepared to dump it just under 100k miles, or you better have some cash saved up because it will start to cost you a bundle in repairs....For instance SRX with Sport Tuned Suspension, cost just under $7,800.00 to replace front struts and rear shocks....< I had no idea of that cost when I purchased the SRX....But I can tell you the ride is like no other riding SUV/crossover out there..... That is just 1 example of what I am talking about.....Personally, I am done with Cadillac's, just because of the cost to keep it up after 100k...I like to get my $$$ worth from a vehicle before I let it go... 100k, they are just getting broke in.... Another case in point.... 2010 Mustang GT/w -Trac-Pak package...... Showroom purchase...... I do not regret getting this car 1 bit.... It has been the only time Ford has offered 0% financing to individuals with very good credit..... SO, I plunk down some cash and drive it off the showroom floor.... Car was special ordered and the guy did not take delivery on it.......Here is the kicker..... In 2010, very few cars came with factory 19" rims... Can anyone tell me what they were? I can, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi...Drop your voice.... Do you think I took that into consideration when I purchased the car...< No, I had no idea that 19" rims in 2010 were very special.... How special you ask???? Well, the factory Pirelli 255/40/19 P-Zero Summer tires were 1 of only 4 tires in that year that made that specific size and speed rating... What does that calculate to $$$$ when you need to replace the tires with just under 10,000 miles on the car??? In 2010, that price was a staggering $456.00 a tire..... That was before mounting, balance, and disposal...But I would not exchange that experience for all the $$$$ in the world..... I had some great times during those miles.... Including watching a SRT-10 blow a motor while we were doing 135mph on 75 in South Florida.....What is my point...Just that Kev hit the nail right on the head......Nothing in life is a guarantee, except living, dying and after life.... Everything else is built from experiences.... So experience a Hemi for once in your life...
RMCIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 06:40 AM   #12
dano8855
2014 WK 

2014 Overland Dec build. No issues. I had the same concerns but I'm very happy with it. My recommendation is get a build date from Dec on.
dano8855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #13
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Most non jeep owners bash jeep reliability because they read about it online. Based on me and my families experiences I say otherwise. My 96 ZJ 5.2 limited has been one of the most reliable rigs I have owned, its pushing 200k and is simply starting to need some manintenance to the front end. My parents jk has 70k and has needed nothing at all since new. My sister had an 06 TJ that needed a battey from new till totalled at 80k. Her current liberty has been trouble free.

Remember, people flock to internet to complain when something goes wrong, generally not to tell you how great the ride has been.
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #14
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

This 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited is my 5th and it was built Jan 13 and has been perfect for the 11 months that I have had it. There have been some software updates, but it never had any of the problems the updates were suppose to fix. Good thing about everything being so software driven, it make it cheap and easy to repair should you have a problem. I did have some problems with my 2004 (brakes and climate control) but all the rest have been perfect.
JeepGC6855 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #15
peckmv

I'm sure there are well built Jeeps. I have had nothing but problems with mine. The quality is lacking and my problems go way past squeaks and software issues. If I had to do it over again Jeep would not be my choice. This will be my last Chrysler product. You must decide for yourself but my advice would be buyer beware.
peckmv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.