Rear tow hook wk2 grand cherokee??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-10-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Limited9627
2014 WK 

Rear tow hook wk2 grand cherokee???

I know the front tow hooks are pretty easy to find and on ebay for about $180 but while looking on moparpartsdepot.com on the diagram of the rear number and tow hitch, I noticed there was a rear to hook separate from the tow hitch. Can this rear tow hook be installed on any of the WK2 without the tow hitch? Has anyone installed a rear tow hook on a WK2?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-10-2016, 06:39 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The hook is suppose to be there OEM unless replaced by a tow hitch.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 10 Old 02-10-2016, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Limited9627
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
The hook is suppose to be there OEM unless replaced by a tow hitch.
Are you telling me I should have a tow hook!? I looked and didn't see one. You probably have one because you have an overland and you should have front tow hooks as well. I have a Limited.
post #4 of 10 Old 02-10-2016, 07:55 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I had forgotten that rear tow hooks were dropped from standard equipment in 2014. See this thread for info:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/.../#post31952538

post #5 of 10 Old 02-10-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Limited9627
2014 WK 

Quote:
I had forgotten that rear tow hooks were dropped from standard equipment in 2014. See this thread for info:

Okay but they should fit on my vehicle? I could actually buy an aftermarket tow hitch for cheaper than the mopar tow hook. I've seen aftermarket tow hitch that goes under the rear bumper for about $120 with free shipping but I would loose departure angle. Or I could get either an OEM tow hitch or aftermarket one that goes behind the bumper but I would imagine I would have to replace the lower part of the bumper with one that have a removable panel which hides the receiver and plug? It sounds like a straight forward question but when I called the Bayside jeep dealer from MoparPartsDepot.com the guy in the parts department couldn't give me an answer. and he said when he punched in my Vin the tow hook wasn't available for my vehicle. I don't know if that's because it didn't come with one or because it won't fit. He couldn't tell me.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-10-2016, 10:22 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There are a few hitch install threads in the forum as well as some good advice. Do you have a Summit or SRT or high Altitude? If not the OEM hitch just requires a hole to be cut in the bumper cover and trim piece installed. Check the install instructions at forum sponsor moparonlineparts.com accessory catalog. If you want trailer lights, the TIPM would need to be flashed by a dealer.

Dealers typically will not guaranty a part will fit if it doesn't show up as applicable to the VIN. Since your VIN did not have a rear tow hook, it would not show up. If you purchased the hook anyway, its yours.... no returns typically.

post #7 of 10 Old 02-11-2016, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Limited9627
2014 WK 

Quote:
There are a few hitch install threads in the forum as well as some good advice. Do you have a Summit or SRT or high Altitude? If not the OEM hitch just requires a hole to be cut in the bumper cover and trim piece installed. Check the install instructions at forum sponsor moparonlineparts.com accessory catalog. If you want trailer lights, the TIPM would need to be flashed by a dealer.

Dealers typically will not guaranty a part will fit if it doesn't show up as applicable to the VIN. Since your VIN did not have a rear tow hook, it would not show up. If you purchased the hook anyway, its yours.... no returns typically.
I have a Limited. Since I found a tow hitch on Amazon for $86 that goes under the rear bumper, I think I'll be getting that instead of a tow hook. Not only is the OEM hitch more expensive but I'd rather not have to do any cutting. I expect I will loose some departure angle with an under the bumper style hitch but hopefully not much.

I don't expect to I'll need to tow a trailer any time soon but if I do I'll just have to get the wiring and just have the computer flashed. I do need a hitch as a recovery point and I will also be able to use it to mount a flag if I visit an off-road park.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-11-2016, 01:45 PM
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

I don't think a rear tow hook has ever been standard. Even with my 1998 Cherokee, the optional tow hooks included one rear hook which was deleted if you have the hitch receiver.

Quote:

post #9 of 10 Old 02-13-2016, 06:09 PM
panathinaikos55
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have an OEM tow hook that I removed from my 2014 when I installed a hitch. Was never used. If you go that route and are interested, shoot me a PM. You (or anyine else for that matter) can have it cheap.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-16-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Limited9627
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by panathinaikos55 View Post
I have an OEM tow hook that I removed from my 2014 when I installed a hitch. Was never used. If you go that route and are interested, shoot me a PM. You (or anyine else for that matter) can have it cheap.
Thanks but I found a tow hitch for $86 on amazon with prime shipping and decided to get it. Will be here tomorrow. I don't know if I'll ever need to tow but I would imagine its probably the strongest recovery point of the vehicle since it bolts to both sides of the frame. I can also use the hitch to mount a safety flag if I go to any off road parks. The only downside is It goes under your bumper so I expect I might loose a little departure angle but for $86 it can't be an unworthily investment, especially if I ever need to tow anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.