Rear storage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear storage

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 01-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Mojo51
2012 WK 

Rear storage

Any have a locking storage box for the back of their WK2? I'm trying to get some ideas.

Mojo51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

Throw in a box and use the tie down points to keep it in place. A all weather mat helps too. It's so tacky that nothing slides around at all.
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Maybe

He wants to keep the lockbox out of view? I wish someone offered an underseat box for my GC that locks and is secure.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
badrich94
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo51
Any have a locking storage box for the back of their WK2? I'm trying to get some ideas.
I am also wondering. I noticed that underneath the jeep is a big area right underneath the tire compartment. I was wondering if anyone has bolted a box or something to that area. It just seems like wasted space. It's curious to me as to why they didn't just lower the tire compartment another 3 inches to give you more cargo space.
badrich94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
RumUNT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Really depends on what you want to store... I would look at Tuffy. I have them on my TJ and couldn't be happier with their build. If you want to carry a lot of valuables or are hunting and need your firearms secure the below link would be awesome, but spendy...http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-430-g...ty-drawer.aspx
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

If you dont mind dropping some big money Truck Vault is a great option. I plan to make my own version of one to store a couple long guns on road trips.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Justal13
2012 WK 

I saw a post on the other forum where somebody built a frame and raised the entire floor above the spare tire well. The factory cargo floor/hinged access cover then fit on top. After it was installed, it added significant OEM-looking hidden storage area. Unfortunately, it was not locking (if that is your requirement). Keep in mind that the cargo area "floor" is removeable, so it would take some serious mods to attach a lock box on top of the floor so it could not be removed. And I believe you would still want access to the spare tire and storage bins.

Supposedly, there are lockboxes available for the GC that fit under the rear seat (secured with a cable, slides in and out because the rear seat bottom does not flip up) and console (metal, bolt thru floor to attach inside factory console lower storage area). Search threads in the other forum regarding secure gun or handgun storage.
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
77rednecktruck

I have a lock box under the driver seat for paperwork and some other things. It is one made for a gun, can't remember who makes it.

How big are you looking for?
77rednecktruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I found this...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...orage-1353517/

Not bad as a base unit. I would still add some good locks do it, make the handles larger (in case one is wearing gloves). I would also like to secure it from within so that someone couldnt lift it out or use some other way to gain access to it without smashing it to bits. But with the rear being what it is on the WK2, not many options for running some bolts through to underneath the spare tire compartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck View Post
I have a lock box under the driver seat for paperwork and some other things. It is one made for a gun, can't remember who makes it.

How big are you looking for?
For the back. Not something to hold a couple pieces of paper and a pistol.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Mojo51
2012 WK 

Thanks for the ideas. I like the tuffy box. A little more than I was looking to spend but exactly what I was looking for
Unread 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
RumUNT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If I were in the market for a secure rear box, I'd be getting a Tuffy hands down. They also have the mounting so that you can still access the spare tire. Spendy, yes, but well worth it.
Unread 01-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Mojo51
2012 WK 

http://suvcargocaddy.com/html/cc-features.html

I'm starting to lean towards this one.
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo51 View Post

Is you are advertising you have something in your vehicle that is worth stealing. The question is to you want to go through the hassles with your insurance company and repair when they break into your GC and rip out the box?

Since I have dogs in the back that wouldnt work for me.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
Mojo51
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti

Is you are advertising you have something in your vehicle that is worth stealing. The question is to you want to go through the hassles with your insurance company and repair when they break into your GC and rip out the box?

Since I have dogs in the back that wouldnt work for me.
I have the cargo over. I just don't want to make it easier on anybody. I'm a L.E.O. And know not to leave things exposed. I'm in a specialized unit and sometimes i have to have gear in my personal vehicle.
Unread 01-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
sdsyver
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo51 View Post

if you do get one could you please post a couple pictures with it in your jeep and your thoughts on it. I've been contemplating something like this as well.
sdsyver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.