Rear Hatch Door Opening on its own - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear Hatch Door Opening on its own

Jeep JK Wrangler NEW Heat Reducing Performance Vented Hood1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Front Wheel Bearing & Hu1993-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Steering Damper Trail Boss (

Unread 04-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #1
Pardo714

Rear Hatch Door Opening on its own

I searched and could not find anything on this. Three times now I have gone out to a parking lot to find the rear hatch on my 2011 GC wide open. I am assuming that I am somehow hitting the button on the remote in my pocket twice while I'm close enough to the vehicle to activate the hatch but I'm not sure.
Could something else be causing the hatch to open?
Is there anyway to adjust the sensitivity of the remote or disable the hatch function?
Fortunately I was not away from the vehicle for long but Its strange to come out and find your car wide open, one time it was even raining and I don't want this to continue.
Any information appreciated.

Pardo714 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
wxman2003
2015 WK 

How old are the batteries in the FOB? Weak batteries can cause issues. For instance, you push the lock button, and instead it triggers the hatch to open. Try using the second FOB to see if that happens. If not, it's either the FOB or the battery.
wxman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Try not having anything in your pocket except the FOB. Some FOBs are more sensitive than others. I fabricated a plastic cover for one of my FOBs to keep it from starting the Jeep whenever it wanted. The other FOB seems to be OK, but I still don't put anything is the pocket with it.
Unread 04-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
Dr. Internet
2012 WK 

Same thing, three nights in a row; come out in the a.m. and the hatch is wide open. Took the fob apart and found a little spider in there. Set him free, no more problems.
I think there should be a lock of some kind on that button (push it twice, push two buttons at the same time, etc.), though. Way too easy to open the hatch and not know it.

2012 Black Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 4x4
USN Club Hull # WK-13
TEXAS Jeep Club #29
Dr. Internet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
lurtonk
Drive it like u stole it
2015 WK 

On my 15 JGC if I walk up to the Jeep with my fob in my front pant's pocket next to my leg and my iPhone in the same pocket but on the outside, away from my leg, the auto unlock on the doors doesn't work.
Pull the iPhone out and they work fine.
lurtonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.