Rear bumper protector removal & cost - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear bumper protector removal & cost

JKS Flex Connect in Actions!CCOR is Hiring! Athens, GA!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
ChilternJeep
2014 WK 

Rear bumper protector removal & cost

I have a small crunch mark on the edge of the chrome bumper protector. This is just a chromed plastic part with a black plastic insert so I guessed it would be relatively inexpensive and an easy sticky tab fitment....not so!

A replacement part here in the UK is 280 and that's just for the plastic chrome bit!!!

So my next plan was to go the plasti-dip route - remove the trim and fill the small crunch mark ready for matt black paint or the plasti-dip. However, having had alittle look it's obvious that the black inner is clipped to the chrome which is also then clipped to the bumper in a way that fouls the rear aperture and rubber seal. The whole thing looks impossible to remove without damage without getting the bumper off first....

So I may have to work on it in situ, unless anybody has successfully removed the protector without damage?

Thanks.

ChilternJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2015, 03:48 AM   #2
ChilternJeep
2014 WK 

Ok so I have managed to remove the chrome trim.... Basically it is held in place with its own built in clips (ie they are not separate items) but it comes away leaving the black plastic trim in place.
To remove the chrome you have to gently prise the black trim up at one end and this will reveal the first black clip which can be pushed in which will ease each and every clip along the whole trim and once this is clear the chrome trim can be slid backwards and removed.
Phew.
Now I can repair the crunch and paint or plast-dip the trim and re-fit...
Thinking it may look better in black and more functional rather than in chrome anyway but will have to see!
ChilternJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.