Rear brake / e brake job help/how to - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Rear brake / e brake job help/how to

Wholesale pricing on raceline beadlocks - only the best atArtec NightHawk JK Front Bumper Pre-Order Special - Free BSeat Saver Trail Towels now available!

Unread Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #1
spinxt

Rear brake / e brake job help/how to

Recently replaced my front rotors and pads. I'm ready to tackle the rear rotors, pads, and e brake shoes. I have a Haynes manual and it SUCKS.

Has anyone done this job. My concerns are:

- how hard is to get the rear rotors off being the e brake shoes are pushing against them?

- how hard is it to replace the e brake shoes at the same time

- how do you adjust the e brake shoes out? I'm assuming since its been adjusted in on several occasions that with new shoes, it would need to be adjusted out to allow the new rotor to fit.

If anyone could scan those pages of the service manual that would be awesome!!!

spinxt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

It's a similar set up used on grand Cherokees for years. There is the typical star wheel adjuster, sometimes you have to loosen up the parking brake cable. When I get back to the office I'll take a peak at the FSM, but I think someone posted the procedure here awhile ago. Not sure if the rear rotor has a o ring like the front.
Unread Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #3
spinxt

I searched for "rear brakes" and got no relevant results.

Thanks for looking into the FSM for me coldcase
Unread Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #4
Gunny7
2014 WK 

O ring just slips over the hub to hold the rotor in place?
Mine has one like that.
2014 GC
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #5
API
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny7 View Post
O ring just slips over the hub to hold the rotor in place?
Mine has one like that.
2014 GC
About to do mine as well.
Does the O-Ring just hold the rotor in place or is it also supposed to seal from water infiltration?

I am amazed at how rusted my rotors are from the wheels trapping water/salt beind them. This is the first vehicle of a dozen I've owned that after two years, the rotors are actually rusting to the point that the material is peeling off on the inside of the rotor where its vented.
Unread Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #6
spinxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny7
O ring just slips over the hub to hold the rotor in place? Mine has one like that. 2014 GC
The o ring is there to prevent water from getting in between the rotor and hub assembly. It's too small to hold anything in place.
Unread Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Some discussion here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...rakes-2911338/

The rear rotor/pad stuff is similar to the front.

Parking Brake:

1.Raise and support the vehicle.

2.Disconnect the rear RH and LH parking brake cables (2, 5) from the parking brake equalizer .

3.Remove the rear wheels.

4.Remove the rotor .

5.Remove the shoe to shoe return springs (2, 5).

6.Remove the adjuster (3).

7.Remove the shoe hold-down clips (1) and pins.

8.Spread the shoes and remove the parking brake cable from the actuator lever (6), and remove the shoes.

9.Remove and transfer the parking brake actuator (6), and the spring behind the shoes (4) near the parking brake actuator (6) to the new shoes.

Parking brake adjust:

1.Be sure the parking brake lever is fully released.

2.Remove the plug (1) from each access hole in the brake support plates.

3.Insert an adjusting tool through the support plate access hole and engage the tool in the teeth of the adjusting screw star wheel.

4.Rotate the adjuster screw star wheel (move tool handle upward) until slight drag can be felt when the star wheel is rotated.

5.Back off the adjuster screw star wheel until brake drag is eliminated.

6.Repeat adjustment at the opposite wheel. Be sure adjustment is equal at both wheels.

7.Install the support plate access hole plugs (1).

8.Install wheels

9.Remove the supports and lower the vehicle.

10.Depress the park brake lever and make sure the park brakes hold the vehicle stationary.

11.Release the park brake lever.

I would think that if the parking shoes are holding up the hub removal you should be able to back off the adjustment start wheel. I haven't done this so I dunno how hard it is. My WJ was a real PITA, but it had a different lever and the cable disconnect was under a plate under the rear carpet....

:
:
parking-brake.png

Unread Yesterday, 07:41 PM   #8
spinxt

This looks like a horrible design and total PITA.... I fear I'm going to be wishing I didn't tackle this project myself....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.