Rain Sensing Wiper Function After Windshield Replacement - 2011 Overland - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Rain Sensing Wiper Function After Windshield Replacement - 2011 Overland

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Wytnite

Question Rain Sensing Wiper Function After Windshield Replacement - 2011 Overland

I recently had my windshield replaced and now the wipers will swipe across once, and only once, everytime I start the vehicle when the wiper function is set to the automatic rain sensing mode. It is an OEM windshield and I'm told the only difference is the stamping (Pilkington vs Mopar). I contacted a technician at Jeep USA who confirmed that the blades should not "always" start up unless the refraction sensors detect the presence of water. The dealership says they have no idea and suggested a defective LRSM bracket. The autoglass place put in a new windshield today without resolving the problem. They are shipping in an offical Mopar windshield to see if that will make a difference.

Is there a reset function for the sensors? There's no error codes reporting.

Wytnite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Dunno but the service manual says:

The LSRM (mounted to the bracket) cannot be serviced, adjusted, or repaired. It must be replaced. It attaches to the bracket bonded to the windshield.

The dealer diagnostic scan tool can be used to diagnose.

The default operation is continuous low speed wiper operation (when auto wiper is selected)

During installation be careful not to touch or contaminate the LSRM lens.

Auto wipe is disabled when in neutral.

My wipers will sometimes do the one wipe thing on start up, usually when its misty/foggy.. but sometimes it appears to do it just for grins. Otherwise works normally.
wipers.jpg  
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
xjrguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

You need to take the vehicle in to the dealership.

The rain sensors for the auto wipers need to be recalibrated any time the windshield is replaced.
xjrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Wytnite

Thank you for your response ColdCase. If it were misty/foggy I would have a better time accepting the swipe. Unfortunately, it's been sunny and hot.

The troubleshooting steps you've provided are very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Dunno but the service manual says:

The LSRM (mounted to the bracket) cannot be serviced, adjusted, or repaired. It must be replaced. It attaches to the bracket bonded to the windshield.

The dealer diagnostic scan tool can be used to diagnose.

The default operation is continuous low speed wiper operation (when auto wiper is selected)

During installation be careful not to touch or contaminate the LSRM lens.

Auto wipe is disabled when in neutral.

My wipers will sometimes do the one wipe thing on start up, usually when its misty/foggy.. but sometimes it appears to do it just for grins. Otherwise works normally.
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Wytnite

Thank you for your response xjrguy. I've not had anyone, including the dealer, mention recalibration. Is this a software function or what is the procedure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrguy View Post
You need to take the vehicle in to the dealership.

The rain sensors for the auto wipers need to be recalibrated any time the windshield is replaced.
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
xjrguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

I read on one of the other forums a guy that had his windshield replaced and had to have the dealer do some sort of calibration.

Others had to go thru 4 windshields before things got resolved.

I know if you have the smart beam headlights, the mirror has to be futzed with after a windshield replacement too.

YMMV

The one swipe wiper also appears to be an error function.

I am not looking forward to this if this ever happens to my WK2.

Good luck.
xjrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Jerm87
2011 WK 

I actually just had mine replaced on my Overland this afternoon. I'm glad I caught this thread today, going to try the wipers tonight and see if they function properly.
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #8
Jerm87
2011 WK 

Having the same issues Wytnite. Single swipe on start up when Auto mode is selected for wipers. Going to contact the dealer today and see what they have to say. I will be curious to see if the Auto High Beams works correctly tonight when I drive home from work.
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
Wytnite

Update: Problem Resolved!!!! The official term for the issue is "Ghost Wipes".

So I took the Jeep into the dealership today armed with the strong suspicion that it was a software/sensor error. On another Jeep forum a member described the resolution as a "Full Vehicle Configuration".

The dealership started by doing a visual inspection and testing all of the connections. In addition they cleaned the glass on both sides and the lenses on the rain sensing module. They also checked again for any faults or errors with no effect. The stated they was no software update for the system but did, however, find 4 other software updates: PCM, Air Suspension, Drivetrain Control and Power Liftgate.

After performing an initialization procedure the Ghost Wipe issue is resolved. The Service Manager does not believe that the software updates and initialization had any effect on the Ghost Wipe problem, but, for now at least, it's working as it should.

I'll post if the Ghost Wipe rears it's head again. Otherwise, I hope this helps others.
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Jerm87
2011 WK 

Wytnite I'm curious when your saying initialization procedure, what does that mean?
I contacted my dealer and they said you cannot reprogram the module. When Safelite can back out to look at the windshield the tech showed me the piece of glass with the sensor and bracket already glued to the aftermarket windshield. I read on other Jeep forum sites people who went through 3-4 aftermarket before getting an original Mopar windshield and then the problem stopped. Makes sense to me. Your putting an aftermarket sensor and bracket onto the Mopar module. I got my insurance to replace with an Mopar piece since I've read these forums and people stating it didn't work right until the Mopar piece. They are installing next Wednesday so I will be curious to see. My rain senors have the ghost wipes, but also do not detect the rain and correct to the right swipe speed. High beam features is not working 100% the way it was. At least your problem is fixed.
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
Wytnite

Jerm,

Here's the TL/DR version. The service report states "Reinstalled Module & Performed Initialization Procedure. No Software Updates Exist For This System. Found Software Updates For PCM, Air Suspension Control Module, Drivetrain Control Module & Power Liftgare Module. Reprogrammed All Four Controllers With Revised Software. Retested System Now Is No Ghost Wiping At Key On."

Long Version
I went through Speedy Autoglass which I've used for 5 winshields that I've replaced over the past 12 years. The first windshield was stamped as a Pilkington stamped winshield. I'm told that Pilkington is the same manufacturer who makes the original Jeep stamped windshields as well. The first time I went to the dealership the dealership stated that the Light Rain Sensing Module (LRSM) bracket was either ineffective or damaged. Speedy Autoglass ordered and installed another Pilkington windshield but that didn't resolve the issue. I called the dealership and they stated that there wasn't anything they could do as there wasn't any system faults. I called Jeep USA to see if there was any Technical Service Bulletins or assistance they could provide. The CSR stated that since I didn't have the work done at the dealership they were not obligated to help. Needless to say this pissed me off. The CSR suggested that maybe a Jeep stamped windshield ordered from the dealership would resolve the problem - thinking there might be some difference. Speedy Autoglass offered to order the winshield and would only charge me the price difference. However, before they insalled the Jeep stamped windshield we did a visual comparison between the Pilkington and Jeep windshields and could discern no diference. Therefore, in order to safe some money I went back to the dealership to insist that recalibrate the sensors or do the Full Vehicle Configuration that I has read on the forums.

From the service report it looks like they tried extensively cleaning the windshield glass and sensor lens. They also inspected and checked all of the connectors and wiring - all apparently to no effect. Afer cleaning the lens the service report states "Reinstalled Module & Performed Initialization Procedure. No Software Updates Exist For This System. Found Software Updates For PCM, Air Suspension Control Module, Drivetrain Control Module & Power Liftgare Module. Reprogrammed All Four Controllers With Revised Software. Retested System Now Is No Ghost Wiping At Key On."

I hope this helps (apologies for any typos).
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
Sea2Summit
2012 WK 

Wow, this is a good, but sobering, thread. I just discovered a small crack in my 2012 JGC windshield. It's in the center, just above the bottom edge so it doesn't impact my visibility. (How a rock hit there, with force, is a question for physics).

Since insurance will cover this, I'm going to delay the replacement since my glass surface is still fairly smooth. (In Colorado, they wear quickly). When I do replace it, I'm going to go with a dealer, and keep my fingers crossed. I have the auto hi beam feature too. This thread will be most helpful - thanks guys.

Although technology improvements are inevitable, and mostly positive, it makes me appreciate even more the owner service capabilities of older vehicles - like my 1974 Toyota Landcruiser. Now there a vehicle you can still service yourself, with a little homework and patience. (Forums are a huge help!)
Sea2Summit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
jeepsterboy
2011 XJ Cherokee 

My 2011 Grand Cherokee experienced the same problem after the windshild was replaced about a month ago. The dealer went through the check list today with a printout of Jeep Forum thread I took to them today. They checked with factory tech support but that was no help. The problem mysteriously went away to after a second technician sat in the car to see if he could duplicate it. I'm not kidding. They admit they don't know what they did to correct it. The part number of the replacement windshild was 68036457AG the part number the dealer finds as the official windshild is 68036457AC but that comes with the whole review mirror and sensor assembly already mounted on it. When they input the ending in AG it comes up as invalid. Dealer was told by Chrysler tech support that unless that is the winshield that is used for replacement they are not responisable or so many words to that effect. For now it's working but I havn't tried it in the rain yet. I'll keep the forum posted. Thanks to all that have posted on this subject. It was comforting to know I wasn't the only one with this problem and it was helpful to show the thresd to the dealer.
jeepsterboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Jerm87
2011 WK 

jeepsterboy, When I went back to my dealer after the OP mentioned about the reprogram function it did correct the issue. I have noticed though that at times the sensor still is not as sensitive as it once was for the wipers. I have tried adjusting the level of sensitivity but really doesn't seem to matter much. Best of luck.
Unread 10-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #15
mortifer
2011 WK 

I had my windshield replaced about 5 weeks ago and for the first 7-10 days after the replacement I received the 1 Wipe "Error indication" upon start up. I was just about to make an appointment with the dealer to get the sensor re-calibrated when it started to work during a drizzle and has worked perfectly ever since (from slight drizzles to downpours). There are times when it doesn't seem like it is as sensitive as it was before, but it could be that I am paying more attention to the system and it is working the same as it was before the replacement.
mortifer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.