Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Radiator Replacement 3.6 Laredo

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  EMVirostek 
#1 ·
So at 63,000 miles, it looks like I'm going to have to replace my radiator...there is a small leak at the top, by the hose. Has anyone replaced the radiator on the 3.6? How much of a pain in the a$$ is it? I've seen videos on replacing the condenser/cooler, but I can't find anything on the radiator.

Also, there are a bunch of radiators on Amazon for under $100...would I be stupid to try one of those?? Why so much cheaper than going to Auto Zone, for example?

Thanks guys!

#3 ·
OEM Radiators are $250 to $350 from a couple of the forum sponsors.

If you don't have HD cooling, you may want to think about putting the larger V8 radiator in

To give you a rough idea what you are in for, you:

Drain coolant from radiator .

Remove the A/C condenser .

Remove the upper radiator crossmember.

Disconnect the upper radiator hose.

Disconnect the overflow hose from radiator.

Remove the cooling fan assembly (see below).

Remove the lower radiator hose from the water pump.

The lower part of the radiator is equipped with two alignment dowel pins and fit into rubber grommets. These rubber grommets are pressed onto the radiator.

Gently lift up and remove radiator from vehicle. Be careful not to scrape the radiator fins against any other component.

Remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator.

Installation is reverse but before installing the radiator or A/C condenser, be sure the radiator-to-body and radiator-to-A/C condenser rubber air seals are properly fastened to their original positions. These are used at the top, bottom and sides of the radiator and A/C condenser. To prevent overheating, these seals must be installed to their original positions. Also the tangs on the hose clamps must be positioned straight down.

Cooling fan removal:

Remove the air intake assembly.

Raise and support the vehicle.

The lower shroud cover needs to be removed in order to remove the cooling fan assembly from the mounting tabs.

If equipped, remove the lower engine shield.

Drain the cooling system.

Remove the lower shroud cover by using a pick to pull the cover retaining hole away from the clip along the bottom of the cooling fan assembly.

Lower vehicle.

Recover the refrigerant from the A/C system.

Remove the bolt that mounts the upper A/C line support bracket to the front radiator support.

Remove the nut that secures the front section of the A/C liquid line to the rear section of the A/C liquid line.

Disconnect the electric fan connector.

The cooling fan assembly is held in place by clips that are part of the radiator. So care must be used so the clips are not damaged during fan removal.

Remove shroud assembly from vehicle by pressing the locking clips inwards with a flat blade screwdriver.

Pull the fan/shroud assembly upwards and away from the radiator with the upper cooling fan assembly shroud cover in place.

Remove the cooling fan assembly from vehicle.

Remove the upper fan shroud cover by using a pick to pull the cover retaining hole away from the clip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.