quility on my 2014 V8 Summit - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > quility on my 2014 V8 Summit

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
chartx

Not to be arrogant, but ~50K summit model looks like a ~30K laredo with options added. I wouldn't surprised to hear summit model has in fact same quality check\monitoring procedure with the base model. Chrysler is (in)famous in leaving to the customer to find out quality issues/problems instead of rigorous quality test before delivery. To give credit, Chrysler\Jeep is doing a lot in bringing many goodies from other suppliers (8 speed, 8.4 inch navigation etc). But I felt and observed from many forum comments, the rigorous testing on integration of all those parts, devices is left to the customers.

chartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Sitting here waiting on wife in front of a store and I have had 2 thumbs up, 1 approving smile and 2 "can't look at 'em or he'll know I'm jealous" looks...Despite the delivery "warts" this is one sweet a$$ ride
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #18
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Uh oh! "fog" is now actual water droplets and they are still there after 45 mins of lights on continuously AND check out the installers meatball hand smudges all over the bulb eyeball. C'mon guys! $55 g's and this is what you deliver? Argh!

Maybe I'll have dealer replace per the TSB but since it's obviously a design flaw it seems the TSB's remedy of replacement is just throwing parts at the problem only to have the same problem with the new one.

Think I'm gonna take the "let it ride" for a while approach and see how it shakes down during break in. But those smudges all over both HID bulbs is really aggravating.
driverwater.jpg   driversmudges.jpg  
Unread 12-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #19
MrBreeze

I guess I am lucky my Summit has been perfect so far.
MrBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
gregory30

14summithemi : mine front lamps looks like identical as yours, . I am wondering how the water comes into the lamp
I will call guys who clean lamps , i think there is one solution: open it, clean, dry and seal it using silicon.

by the way, when i turn the gear into R, i got message above the car icon "park sensor service" , below the car icon, park sensor is working fine
seems like front sensor is not working?
gregory30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #21
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No one has pointed out that quality is misspelled in the thread title; kind of a funny detail when discussing quality

Op, hopefully you get the issues resolved

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #22
Jpiwonski
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97
No one has pointed out that quality is misspelled in the thread title; kind of a funny detail when discussing quality Op, hopefully you get the issues resolved Sent by a messenger bird
The definition of ironic?
Jpiwonski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory30 View Post
14summithemi : mine front lamps looks like identical as yours, . I am wondering how the water comes into the lamp
I will call guys who clean lamps , i think there is one solution: open it, clean, dry and seal it using silicon.
Whoa! Bad idea unless you are out of warranty and at the end of your "rope" in dealing with this. First, my water droplets are not from water intrusion but from excessive condensation that then "ran" down the inside of lens. It was bad enough to run down into the bottom nook that does not get hot enough from lamp illumination to burn/evaporate off. I am pretty sure if they replace the assemblies per the TSB under warranty that the exact same thing will happen given my northern Ohio climate that creates constant temperature differentials (ie condensation). They have designed these as non-vacuum sealed units (for what I am sure is a good reason???). If they were vacuum sealed then condensation could not form and it could not be evaporated so they are definitely unsealed (except for dust). I think it's a design flaw and will pursue it from an academic standpoint so I can come to peace with it, who knows maybe they'll fix it. if you clean them you will most likely leave residue, scratches, etc. If you seal it with silicone i believe bad things will happen since you will be sealing in regular atmosphere (not a vacuum). I wonder if the heat/pressure from the bulbs will then melt/damage the lens since it's normal exit path of the unsealed edges is now blocked? Any engineers or in the know folks please be gentle on me if you reply to "educate" me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory30 View Post
by the way, when i turn the gear into R, i got message above the car icon "park sensor service" , below the car icon, park sensor is working fine
seems like front sensor is not working?
Don't know your year and model but there may be unapplied TSB's. I see one for Park Assist on export '12 and '13 models. Check wk2jeeps.com for TSB's.
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #24
Qmulus
2014 WK 

For what it is worth, I just picked up a new '14 Overland with V8 and Offroad II package with all of 6 miles on it even after they filled the tank. Same deal with the lights. Smudges on the front of the projector lenses and heavy water spots on the back on the back side of the passenger side projector. The others I saw at the dealer had the same things to varying degrees. Very odd. My '00 Audi A6 with HID projectors still has spotless lenses, and they have had internal condensation after heavy rains a few times over the years, which I don't consider to be an issue. Jeep should talk to their supplier about this one. It seems quite obvious that they weren't wearing gloves when assembling the optics. I think they could get a decent finger print off of the right one so we could find out just who the guilty party is...

All in all though, I am very pleased with the initial quality of this Jeep and with how we were treated by the dealer. It was very refreshing compared to some of my past experiences.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #25
Bengals1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just got my summit back late last night from the dealership. They had it for a week. They fixed the chrome front lower section and repainted/remounted both finder flares and repaired leather on driver side door. The gas filler flap still looks like crape. There's a gap on the top about a 1/4 inch and the whole flap sticks out a 1/8 from the rest of the panels. The dealership stated Chrysler is also aware of the "911 contact dealership" flash, that pops up sometimes. Chrysler is working on a software patch . Still no dice on fogging headlights also...
Bengals1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
gregory30

FOGGING: in that lamps , in the back ,there is are rubber stoppers , i have removed them, the water and fog start to dissapear, tommorow i will see the results.
did not have that pop3 "911 contact dealership" , from time to time i got message that "forward collision" option is not available.. then it works, dunno why
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #27
Bengals1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory30
FOGGING: in that lamps , in the back ,there is are rubber stoppers , i have removed them, the water and fog start to dissapear, tommorow i will see the results. did not have that pop3 "911 contact dealership" , from time to time i got message that "forward collision" option is not available.. then it works, dunno why
Is your gas flap flush and even on your summit?
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #28
gregory30

i think there is all ok with my gas flap, did not noticed any problem
what do you mean by "flush" , your gas flap stands out in the top ?
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
Bengals1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory30
i think there is all ok with my gas flap, did not noticed any problem what do you mean by "flush" , your gas flap stands out in the top ?
when you look straight at it, there's a large gap on the top. And ithe whole thing stinks out about 1/8 from the rest of the vehicle. So if you were waxing or washing it, you'd pump it every time. My wife's 2012 GC still has the gas cap, inside the flap. The fit and finish seems a lot better on hers.
Unread 12-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #30
gregory30

that is my lamp after uncover rubbers from the back of the lamp, all water gone ,left some traces from water.

before removing it , they look lilke 14summithemi pasted, or even worse.

and this is that part removed from the lamp

and this is my front sensor error (!?)

rear is working fine. front no

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.