Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Question about Trailer Tow package

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  spinxt 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited. I wanted to make sure it had the tow package on it when we bought it which it does. There is an item in the package that I really don't understand what it is or does. It is called "Rear Load Leveling Suspension". What does this do and how does it work? I only tow a very lightweight Alumna aluminum trailer with the an ATV on it about 1500# max weight. But I don't know what this does other than it says it is load leveling.

Thanks,

Butch

#3 ·
From http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/2014-grand-cherokee.html about half way down the page.

"The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee is also available with load-leveling shocks the (two systems are not available together). When payload is added to the vehicle, the shock's gas pressure increases until the vehicle reaches normal ride height, to improve load handling and trailer towing. Load-leveling shocks are optional with trailer-tow packages that do not already have the Quadra-Lift air suspension."

#4 ·
These are the common load leveling shock used by many car companies. The shock has a mechanical height sensor and valving that uses the up/down suspension movement to pump up the top side gas pressure when there is a heavy load, and release the pressure to the bottom side when there are light loads. The effect is an automatically adjusting air shock that keeps your rear bumper about the same height regardless of loads.

#5 ·
Thanks guys for an explanation on how it works, I knew that it was supposed to level the rig with a load but had no idea how it did it. Now that makes sense that that the up and down motion would cause it to start pumping up the shock. I got the Limited instead of the Summit or Overland as I didn't want the air stuff on my rig. :thumbsup:

I have a lot of experience with air bags on trucks as I run trucks with slide in campers in them. The last air ride I had constantly lost air and we could never find the leak. I bought a new truck and got a Ram 3500 dually so I wouldn't need air bags on it to handle the load.

#6 ·
butch50 said:
Thanks guys for an explanation on how it works, I knew that it was supposed to level the rig with a load but had no idea how it did it. Now that makes sense that that the up and down motion would cause it to start pumping up the shock. I got the Limited instead of the Summit or Overland as I didn't want the air stuff on my rig. :thumbsup: I have a lot of experience with air bags on trucks as I run trucks with slide in campers in them. The last air ride I had constantly lost air and we could never find the leak. I bought a new truck and got a Ram 3500 dually so I wouldn't need air bags on it to handle the load.
I have a 2011 Overland with almost 60,000 miles and have had zero problems with the QuadraLift air suspension. I do a fair amount of off road driving and love the ability to raise the vehicle for ground clearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.