Question about 6-speed transmission Wk2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Question about 6-speed transmission Wk2

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!

Unread 07-23-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
scross1220

2012 WK 

Question about 6-speed transmission Wk2

Quick question to all 2011 WK2 owners, Has anybody heard of or knows of anyone that has been able to swap out the 5-speed transmission and put in a 6-speed transmission in a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-X? Is it even possible to do so?

______ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[o]llllll[o]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

If you're not fixing it, you're not driving a Jeep.
scross1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #2
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

It's the same transmission...AFAIK, the "5-speed" vs "6-speed" is more of a marketing designation for MY12-13 as there is one gear ratios different going up vs going down. At least for the Hemi. But I could be mistaken on that.
Unread 07-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #3
loveracing1988

If you are talking about the V8 the transmission is identical, it is just a software change that I believe the dealer will do to 2011's. If it is a V6 no, there is no swapping it out, you dont really want to swap anyway as the Nag is a lot stronger of a transmission than the 65rfe/545rfe.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
nowakoaj
2011 WK 

Can anyone verify that a 2011 V8 transmission can be upgraded via software to a 6 speed?

ajn
nowakoaj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowakoaj View Post
Can anyone verify that a 2011 V8 transmission can be upgraded via software to a 6 speed?

ajn
The only difference is you can select all 6 gears. It doesn't make it a 6 speed like a normal 6 speed would be. In normal driving it will still only shift 5 times.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
scross1220

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
If you are talking about the V8 the transmission is identical, it is just a software change that I believe the dealer will do to 2011's. If it is a V6 no, there is no swapping it out, you dont really want to swap anyway as the Nag is a lot stronger of a transmission than the 65rfe/545rfe.
Thanks for the info. I toasted the tranny at 45,640 mile and I am trying to hash it out with the dealership under warranty so I am looking at my options. Why is the 2012 different from the 2011? oh yes I have a 3.6L

______ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Unread 07-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
scross1220

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
The only difference is you can select all 6 gears. It doesn't make it a 6 speed like a normal 6 speed would be. In normal driving it will still only shift 5 times.
I didn't know that. Thanks

______ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Unread 07-23-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
wyat72
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scross1220 View Post
Thanks for the info. I toasted the tranny at 45,640 mile and I am trying to hash it out with the dealership under warranty so I am looking at my options. Why is the 2012 different from the 2011? oh yes I have a 3.6L
The 5 speed in the v6 is the w5a580.

The "6 speed" you are inquiring about is the 65rfe, also called the 545re in its earlier software versions. The only difference between the two is a software update. I believe the 65rfe also has a more efficient torque converter. It was only behind the hemi for the wk2.

While the 65rfe is a solid transmission it has poor ratios and has a lot of internal losses which rob performance. I believe the 65rfe is incompatible with the v6, and if you were able to get it to work behind the v6, I believe it would make the v6 so sluggish it would be almost unbearable to drive. Plus because the ratios of the 65rfe and w5a580 are so different, you would also need to change axel ratios adding even more expense.

I would get another w5a580 and make sure to keep it serviced.
Unread 07-24-2015, 05:56 AM   #9
scross1220

2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyat72 View Post
The 5 speed in the v6 is the w5a580.

The "6 speed" you are inquiring about is the 65rfe, also called the 545re in its earlier software versions. The only difference between the two is a software update. I believe the 65rfe also has a more efficient torque converter. It was only behind the hemi for the wk2.

While the 65rfe is a solid transmission it has poor ratios and has a lot of internal losses which rob performance. I believe the 65rfe is incompatible with the v6, and if you were able to get it to work behind the v6, I believe it would make the v6 so sluggish it would be almost unbearable to drive. Plus because the ratios of the 65rfe and w5a580 are so different, you would also need to change axel ratios adding even more expense.

I would get another w5a580 and make sure to keep it serviced.
Good point. I will stick with the existing trans I have then. Still batting with Jeep as to the warranty issue but dealer said the would put a remanufactured one in for $700 what do you think?

______ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.