Quadra Lift replacing air shocks when they wear out someday - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Quadra Lift replacing air shocks when they wear out someday

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
jsbach
2010 XJ Cherokee 

Quadra Lift replacing air shocks when they wear out someday

Hello I have a 2012 GC and love the thing so far. My big worry is the Quadra Lift. I'd like to keep the vehicle for many years..in essence take good care of it and see how long it will last me.

I have heard air suspension systems tend to wear out sooner than conventional spring based ones. So my question is: when the air shocks do eventually go, is this the type of thing that Jeep dealers will be able to replace? Or are the shocks and the QL complicated to the point that it may be difficult to put new shocks in (or any other part of the system).

With a conventional suspension you can pretty much replace your shocks when they do wear out and you are off and running again. I realize that the QL is no doubt more complicated but I am hoping not to the point where a jeep dealer or another mechanic can't replace it when it wears out.

Welcome any thoughts and apologies for the long winded question

jsbach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Webb
2012 WK 

Doesn't the lifetime warranty covers that ?
Webb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
henrysko
2011 WK 

I think it's a very good question as I also wondered about the life cycle for an air ride suspension. Fortunately, these types of systems have been around for a while and you have a 3yr./36K mile warranty.

Based on good experiences with an '03 Allroad (put 34K on it), our Touareg (currently 136K on it), and now with our GC (no issues thus far), I'd say chances are slim that there will be problems. BUT, it could happen. So, for my peace of mind, I've always bought extended warrantys for my vehicles.

It all boils down to the amount of risk that you feel comfortable with.

Enjoy the car.
Unread 03-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
WKDiesel56
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrysko View Post
I think it's a very good question as I also wondered about the life cycle for an air ride suspension. Fortunately, these types of systems have been around for a while and you have a 3yr./36K mile warranty.

Based on good experiences with an '03 Allroad (put 34K on it), our Touareg (currently 136K on it), and now with our GC (no issues thus far), I'd say chances are slim that there will be problems. BUT, it could happen. So, for my peace of mind, I've always bought extended warrantys for my vehicles.

It all boils down to the amount of risk that you feel comfortable with.

Enjoy the car.
I'm a former allroader as well. I've had two allroads with these systems and no major issues. 102k miles on an 04, 65k miles on an 01. I am a bit addicted to air suspension after having the allroad and honestly would not have bought this Jeep without it despite the maintenance risks of owning a system like this. I'll echo what henrysko said about minimal or non existent issues with air suspension on the allroad. I did replace the front bags on the 01 due to a slow leak when parked for a long time, but it wasn't really necessary. The Quadra-Lift system seems far superior to the allroad system thus far. Air suspension has come a long way in the past ten years. There can be problems, one difference between the air springs on the GC and the ones on the allroad is that they have placed a cover over the rubber "bags", similar to the Arnott Generation 2 bags you can buy for the allroad. This will ideally keep the dirt out for much longer which is a major issue for developing holes in the air springs (commonly referred to as bags) in the allroad. The main reason for this happening in the allroad is dirt, dust, rocks, etc getting into the folds of an unprotected rubber bag when the suspension is set on certain levels.

With regard to the extended warranty, I have yet to see anything in writing concerning covering the air springs, so I wouldn't count on it after 3/36k is out unless it is specifically noted in your contract. They are made of rubber, and rubber eventually is a wear and tear item that deteriorates over time. I would not be the slightest surprised if they are not covered by most extended warranties (as is the case with the Audi allroad and T-reg).

As far as replacing the air springs, I don't anticipate it to be rocket science. The only blip I see is refilling the system with nitrogen (non existent on the Audi and T-reg, they use air) Here's a how to for replacing the springs on the Audi allroad to give you an idea of what is involved with these systems if you're curious:

allroad Front springs: http://allroadfaq.com/main/index.php...sion&Itemid=67

allroad Rear springs: http://allroadfaq.com/main/index.php...sion&Itemid=67

My PSA on jacking something with Quadra-Lift: to properly lift the Jeep, you must put it in "Jack Mode" to disable the air suspension. The suspension is active all the time which means that it is always auto leveling. If you put the vehicle on a lift, on jack stands, etc without putting it into jack mode, it will constantly try to adjust and level itself until it gets back on solid ground. You can severely damage the suspension components if you do not put the Jeep in Jack mode, so if you take your Jeep anywhere to be serviced, remind them of this. Your Jeep will thank you. To do this, hold the suspension up and down buttons at the same time until all of the lights come on indicating it is in jacking mode. The instructions are also in the owners manual.
Unread 03-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Any air suspension system is complex and should be paid attention to, but if you maintain it and pay attention to it, it can last a long time. I know the GM Denali airbags tend to go at 80 to 100k. Land Rover's are similar depending on model. But in general, if you hear your compressor running more than normal - do something about it and have it checked. A lot of failures start with a small leak in a line or airbag and then the compressor fails due to running too much. Then you're looking at a lot of money. But as WKDiesel56 said, they're not that complicated to work on and companies like Arnott make after market parts. Also pay attention to the height position sensors - I don't know what the Jeep's use, but a lot of companies use cheesy plastic height control rods that break, loosen up, etc. and cause the system to run a lot more than it should. If you live in an area that uses a lot of road salt/chemicals, try to get underneath and clean the suspension components because salt can cause the compressors to corode and also moisture can rot the bags eventually.
MaineJeep11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
jsbach
2010 XJ Cherokee 

Many thx everyone. Greatly appreciate the detailed info and advice. Sounds like it is something a jeep mechanic should be able to handle.
jsbach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.