Quadra Lift replacing air shocks when they wear out someday - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-09-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
jsbach
2012 WK 

Quadra Lift replacing air shocks when they wear out someday

Hello I have a 2012 GC and love the thing so far. My big worry is the Quadra Lift. I'd like to keep the vehicle for many years..in essence take good care of it and see how long it will last me.

I have heard air suspension systems tend to wear out sooner than conventional spring based ones. So my question is: when the air shocks do eventually go, is this the type of thing that Jeep dealers will be able to replace? Or are the shocks and the QL complicated to the point that it may be difficult to put new shocks in (or any other part of the system).

With a conventional suspension you can pretty much replace your shocks when they do wear out and you are off and running again. I realize that the QL is no doubt more complicated but I am hoping not to the point where a jeep dealer or another mechanic can't replace it when it wears out.

Welcome any thoughts and apologies for the long winded question

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Webb

2012 WK 

Doesn't the lifetime warranty covers that ?
post #3 of 12 Old 03-09-2012, 05:18 PM
henrysko
2011 WK 

I think it's a very good question as I also wondered about the life cycle for an air ride suspension. Fortunately, these types of systems have been around for a while and you have a 3yr./36K mile warranty.

Based on good experiences with an '03 Allroad (put 34K on it), our Touareg (currently 136K on it), and now with our GC (no issues thus far), I'd say chances are slim that there will be problems. BUT, it could happen. So, for my peace of mind, I've always bought extended warrantys for my vehicles.

It all boils down to the amount of risk that you feel comfortable with.

Enjoy the car.

'11 G.C. Overland V6 Mineral Grey/Black Int. (Mine)
"12 G.C. Overland V8 Stone White w/Saddle Int. (Wifey)
post #4 of 12 Old 03-09-2012, 06:32 PM
WKDiesel56
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrysko View Post
I think it's a very good question as I also wondered about the life cycle for an air ride suspension. Fortunately, these types of systems have been around for a while and you have a 3yr./36K mile warranty.

Based on good experiences with an '03 Allroad (put 34K on it), our Touareg (currently 136K on it), and now with our GC (no issues thus far), I'd say chances are slim that there will be problems. BUT, it could happen. So, for my peace of mind, I've always bought extended warrantys for my vehicles.

It all boils down to the amount of risk that you feel comfortable with.

Enjoy the car.
I'm a former allroader as well. I've had two allroads with these systems and no major issues. 102k miles on an 04, 65k miles on an 01. I am a bit addicted to air suspension after having the allroad and honestly would not have bought this Jeep without it despite the maintenance risks of owning a system like this. I'll echo what henrysko said about minimal or non existent issues with air suspension on the allroad. I did replace the front bags on the 01 due to a slow leak when parked for a long time, but it wasn't really necessary. The Quadra-Lift system seems far superior to the allroad system thus far. Air suspension has come a long way in the past ten years. There can be problems, one difference between the air springs on the GC and the ones on the allroad is that they have placed a cover over the rubber "bags", similar to the Arnott Generation 2 bags you can buy for the allroad. This will ideally keep the dirt out for much longer which is a major issue for developing holes in the air springs (commonly referred to as bags) in the allroad. The main reason for this happening in the allroad is dirt, dust, rocks, etc getting into the folds of an unprotected rubber bag when the suspension is set on certain levels.

With regard to the extended warranty, I have yet to see anything in writing concerning covering the air springs, so I wouldn't count on it after 3/36k is out unless it is specifically noted in your contract. They are made of rubber, and rubber eventually is a wear and tear item that deteriorates over time. I would not be the slightest surprised if they are not covered by most extended warranties (as is the case with the Audi allroad and T-reg).

As far as replacing the air springs, I don't anticipate it to be rocket science. The only blip I see is refilling the system with nitrogen (non existent on the Audi and T-reg, they use air) Here's a how to for replacing the springs on the Audi allroad to give you an idea of what is involved with these systems if you're curious:

allroad Front springs: http://allroadfaq.com/main/index.php...sion&Itemid=67

allroad Rear springs: http://allroadfaq.com/main/index.php...sion&Itemid=67

My PSA on jacking something with Quadra-Lift: to properly lift the Jeep, you must put it in "Jack Mode" to disable the air suspension. The suspension is active all the time which means that it is always auto leveling. If you put the vehicle on a lift, on jack stands, etc without putting it into jack mode, it will constantly try to adjust and level itself until it gets back on solid ground. You can severely damage the suspension components if you do not put the Jeep in Jack mode, so if you take your Jeep anywhere to be serviced, remind them of this. Your Jeep will thank you. To do this, hold the suspension up and down buttons at the same time until all of the lights come on indicating it is in jacking mode. The instructions are also in the owners manual.

*2012 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 Hemi, Stone White - current
*2007 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 3.0 Diesel, Stone White - past
post #5 of 12 Old 03-09-2012, 10:03 PM
MaineJeep11
2011 WK 

Any air suspension system is complex and should be paid attention to, but if you maintain it and pay attention to it, it can last a long time. I know the GM Denali airbags tend to go at 80 to 100k. Land Rover's are similar depending on model. But in general, if you hear your compressor running more than normal - do something about it and have it checked. A lot of failures start with a small leak in a line or airbag and then the compressor fails due to running too much. Then you're looking at a lot of money. But as WKDiesel56 said, they're not that complicated to work on and companies like Arnott make after market parts. Also pay attention to the height position sensors - I don't know what the Jeep's use, but a lot of companies use cheesy plastic height control rods that break, loosen up, etc. and cause the system to run a lot more than it should. If you live in an area that uses a lot of road salt/chemicals, try to get underneath and clean the suspension components because salt can cause the compressors to corode and also moisture can rot the bags eventually.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-10-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
jsbach
2012 WK 

Many thx everyone. Greatly appreciate the detailed info and advice. Sounds like it is something a jeep mechanic should be able to handle.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Ch3rry

What everyone should really be worried about is the air suspension compressor. I have had to change mine for the third time with in 2 years. The last one lasted 6 days! I have a a 2011 Jeep GC Ovrld and I love it but, this problem is becoming too much of a burden.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-06-2016, 11:53 AM
kryogen
2011 WK 

I am getting rid of my 2011 before the extended warranty expires. Next spring.

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, QD, QL
Nokian Hakkapelita 8 SUV Studded winter tires
post #9 of 12 Old 03-09-2016, 10:22 AM
peckmv

They are not air shocks. They are air springs. The rear has shocks just like any other Jeep. The front has struts that are incorporated in the front air spring assembly. These systems are using nitrogen instead of air so the system doesn't have the moisture issues found in systems that just use air. Both of my rear shocks have already been replaced due to failure. The fronts have had no issues. The down side is that no aftermarket company makes them so you have to get them from Jeep.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-09-2016, 11:32 AM
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Several previous posts on here where the Mopar Lifetime has covered Quadra Lift components. That was the overriding reason I purchased mine.

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #11 of 12 Old 03-09-2016, 11:43 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Unlike 2012 when this thread was started, replacement air springs have been popping up on eBay for much less money that dealer cost. Also some of the RAM trucks now have air suspension making the customer base larger. Max care warranty does cover QL components.

As far are replacement, the front end work is similar to a conventional strut and the rear is like a conventional coil spring replacement; plus refilling the system with nitrogen. Not technically challenging, but you do need the right equipment including a scanner that can command the fill and check the level.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #12 of 12 Old 03-09-2016, 04:58 PM
peckmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Unlike 2012 when this thread was started, replacement air springs have been popping up on eBay for much less money that dealer cost. Also some of the RAM trucks now have air suspension making the customer base larger. Max care warranty does cover QL components.

As far are replacement, the front end work is similar to a conventional strut and the rear is like a conventional coil spring replacement; plus refilling the system with nitrogen. Not technically challenging, but you do need the right equipment including a scanner that can command the fill and check the level.
Your right. I also have found new Mopar oem air spring and shock assemblies on ebay for less than $400.00.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.