QL problems with temperature/snow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > QL problems with temperature/snow

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Billus07
2012 WK 

QL problems with temperature/snow

To preface this question, last night I drove about 30-40 miles in snow in OR1 setting never exceeding 45 mph, and overnight I left the vehicle in OR1 setting. This morning I left for work and the outside temp was 2 degrees... on the way to work I got a message that my vehicle quadralift system was "not functioning correctly and required immediate service attention" or something like that... it will not go up or down, and even when I exceed 45mph the vehicle stays at OR-1 setting. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Could snow/ice be stuck in there? Could the very cold temps be affecting the QL function? I hate to take it in for service as I've already reached my last straw with this Jeep due to QL issues. Any insight/previous experience would be helpful. Unfortunately I don't have a heated garage available to park in to see if it resolves the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Billus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

Do you have a parking garage nearby, sounds like it is froze up
JeepGC6855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
TurboRush

If you have some warm(er) weather in the future id look for it to warm up first (or a parking garage). I'm also assuming when you say it's been super cold it's been like it has been around here the past few days, -5, -10.... Not 20 degrees. Might just be jammed up with snow.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRush View Post
I'm also assuming when you say it's been super cold it's been like it has been around here the past few days, -5, -10.... Not 20 degrees.
I'm going to guess it was 2 degrees when the OP left for work
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If the system was purged and refilled improperly, enough moisture could have been introduced that may condense and perhaps freeze up the valve body or block a hose.
Unread 01-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Billus07
2012 WK 

later on in the day (when it warmed into the 20's) the system worked fine... now today it was -12 when I left for work and the same message alerted... I made no attempt to adjust suspension as it was at normal ride height. Sounds to me the solution is to talk the wife into a heated garage. I think its just the temp effect on the air reservoir tank... by comparison my tires were 30psi this Am (normally run 36-38psi during "normal temps").
Billus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Ditto here......Overland sat outside in zero degree weather last night.....today I had an array of messages...

1) air suspension overheated.....wait a minute
2) tire pressure low.....29 psig
3) fuel door would not open

All clear now at 13 degrees...... Taking a 1200 mile in the AM.....had enough of the cold.....
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

^^^ - I was under the impression that QL systems were inflated with nitrogen, (dehumidified), to prevent these types of problems. We've had some frosty nights/mornings around here also - and I've not experienced any QL issues so far, but did have low tire pressure warnings, until I added a bit more air.
13ovsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

They are inflated with high purity nitrogen. There should be no moisture to freeze. But it is not and entirely closed system and it will draw air in to make up for losses. So if there is a slow leak or the dealer filled or topped off with everyday nitrogen, their could be enough moisture in there to freeze up the control valves or compressor. I typically have mine in a garage, but its been out all day in sub zero weather without issue. The low tire pressure is normal, you need to add some air in colder weather.

In the near 4 years of following this forum, I don't recall hearing about cold weather QL issues.
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
chdavis
2012 WK 

I had the same exact problem this morning. Started the car and after a few minutes I got an error message in the EVIC saying "Air Suspension Failure - Immediate Repair/Service Required". Definitely not comforting to see at the start of my commute. I didn't notice a change in the ride height or overall drivability so I pressed on.

A few things I noticed:

1) I didn't hear the compressor cycle on whatsoever.

2) The system held the ride height and air pressure without issue.

3) There were none of the typical QL warning sign of an impending QL failure (increased compressor activity to compensate for leaks/low pressure, ect.)

Initially, I suspected the fuse for the air suspension circuit had blown. Rather than fiddle around with a sophisticated system (and one of which I'm not too familiar with), I scheduled an appointment with Jeep to bring in the car around noon.

To my amazement, the QL system was fully operational when I started it up to drive to the dealer for my appointment. No symptoms of the earlier issue, no fault message in the EVIC, and no deficiencies in the system's performance. I was relieved as I really couldn't afford the time of leaving the office today.

Obviously, the QL system is affected by extremely cold temperatures. I can't say if the behavior a few of us have observed is by design or by a design oversight. There is a TSB issued for the QL system in which our symptoms are sort of mentioned - and it could very well be intended to rectify our exact problem - but the language used is ambiguous, at best. I'm planning to bring in my GC to the dealership this week to have the stored QL diagnostic fault codes read by their equipment and I'll report back. I'm also going to insist they perform the previously referenced TSB.

Chris
chdavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.