QL or not to QL.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > QL or not to QL..

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 11-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
charheep
2011 WK 

QL or not to QL..

I am trying to hold out until Jan/Feb to see if they are any rebates or better financing on the JGC's. Trying to hold out is difficult though. I was looking at my dealer for any Overlands and he has a Limited with everything I want( Hemi, Lux package, 20's) but no QL. Is it worth it to keep looking and wait for a good deal on an Overland? The sticker is 45300 and he quoted me in email 42700 for it. It has the 730 radio, so its gotta have been sitting on the lot for a little bit since Jeep no longer offers the 730.

So, if I never offroad the Jeep, is Quadra-Lift worth it? I know it would be cool the first times I used it, but is it something that is worth waiting for?

It seems like since these are selling so well, the chances of a rebate/financing in the next 2 months is slim. At least that is what I am telling myself.

thanks
-john

charheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
ecupip

I went with a fully loaded limited to forgo the QL I had plenty of cars in the past with air suspensions and they were very troublesome and needed $1500 air struts replaced by 50,000 miles. I never used it that much besides to lower it for my mother to get in and occasionally needed the extra inches off road. It is a personal choice some like it because they have never had it and it is a cool toy, others really do some heavy off-roading and those inches really matter. For daily driving it doesn't feel any different than the regular suspension.

Plus you really need to research all the specs. There are areas of the car the air suspension (in OR position 2) provides less than 2" of lift. (1.7 for the front axle and fuel tank)

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/2011/2011_wk...tions_June.pdf

Most say the overlands are a better value over the limited's because it's only about $500 more with all the extra's you get. But then again most are purchasing the extended warranty which makes the air suspension overland cost a lot more.

There maybe incentives come January, since the Durango and Explorer will be out. But it is to early to tell. If sales keep up there will be no reason for them to offer any.
ecupip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
volvite
1999 WJ 

I have to wait till April/May to look real hard, but I check my local dealers every week to see what's new. I can't wait to hopefully get one, but would love a rebate or better offers.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
wjs81866

I would have liked to have mine with Quadra Drive 2 only (No Quadra Lift) but if I wanted the quadra drive 2 I needed to either buy an Overland or go with a Laredo. I haven't used the quadra lift and likely wont; but Jeep has there build quirks so I bought the Laredo. My limited is loaded but has the quadra trac 2 with no lift. I had a chance to buy a limited with the lift and quadra drive but someone beat me to it.

Personally I think unless you will really go off road it isn't worth it.
Quadra Trac 2
Lux Group 2
20" tires and rims
Towing package

2) 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X
Blackberry Pearl
5.7L
Quadra Drive 2
Quadra Lift
Laredo X Group 25 package
Chrome Fogs and Mirrors
Off-Road Adventure II Package
P265/60R18 Michelin LTX M/S 2's
BWoody 4" Velocity Intake
wjs81866 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
CTO1
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs81866 View Post
Personally I think unless you will really go off road it isn't worth it.
I agree. My previous vehicle was a lifted JK Rubicon so I had to retain some kind of off-road capability. I'm glad to have mine and have already used it to get up and over obstacles that would either be impossible or possible to get over with a lot of scraping without those extra couple of inches. However, it does ride pretty rough when raised up all the way. You can go off-road without Quadra-Lift, but just not really off-road. Then again, when you are really off-road you have to worry about tires and scratches, so doing without the Quadra-Lift might help keep your WK2 looking good.
CTO1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Marcus86GLHS

i think QL goes with QDII like peanut butter and jelly, what a great combo to expand your off-road envelope.

but for 99% of us GC owners who will never crawl, the QT2 and standard suspension will get us thru any typical road challenge. Add some more aggresive tires and a QT2/standard suspension WK2 will be unstoppable over any rough/snowy road.

the simpler the better. i know my 2012 GC wont have QL.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
RodeoLinebacker
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecupip View Post
I went with a fully loaded limited to forgo the QL I had plenty of cars in the past with air suspensions and they were very troublesome and needed $1500 air struts replaced by 50,000 miles. I never used it that much besides to lower it for my mother to get in and occasionally needed the extra inches off road. It is a personal choice some like it because they have never had it and it is a cool toy, others really do some heavy off-roading and those inches really matter. For daily driving it doesn't feel any different than the regular suspension.
+1. My past experiences with air suspensions has not been good. Seldom found much use for it; lots of maintenance/repairs for the trouble.

I'm very impressed with the JGC. I'm looking at getting a Limited but not sure if I want to go with the Hemi or the V6. The one positive I see for getting the Hemi is that you can get QD.
RodeoLinebacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
OBRN1
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by charheep View Post
I am trying to hold out until Jan/Feb to see if they are any rebates or better financing on the JGC's. Trying to hold out is difficult though. I was looking at my dealer for any Overlands and he has a Limited with everything I want( Hemi, Lux package, 20's) but no QL. Is it worth it to keep looking and wait for a good deal on an Overland? The sticker is 45300 and he quoted me in email 42700 for it. It has the 730 radio, so its gotta have been sitting on the lot for a little bit since Jeep no longer offers the 730.

So, if I never offroad the Jeep, is Quadra-Lift worth it? I know it would be cool the first times I used it, but is it something that is worth waiting for?

It seems like since these are selling so well, the chances of a rebate/financing in the next 2 months is slim. At least that is what I am telling myself.

thanks
-john
Do you get snow where you live? I do not off road, but I live where we get quite a bit of snow. I love the extra clearance because the plows are lazy and hardly plow. Then when they do, they leave me a huge berm. I like the QL for both the extra clearance and for getting over the berm when I get home from work (before I can snow blow it). If you never need the extra clearance then I would forgo it. Like others of have said, a lot of air suspension systems end up having troubles and extra maintenance down the line.
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
mjw930

I've had 2 vehicles with the modern, closed air suspensions and have not had any problems at all. I do not do a lot of off road nor do I put high mileage on my vehicles so I may not be the best use case but for me, air suspensions are perfect.

My primary use of the air suspension is for towing. Although the base system has a rear load leveling system it takes more than simply raising the rear to help when you get up over 5000 lbs with the associated 500+lb tongue weights. Not only will the full air suspension raise the rear it will lower the front providing level suspension geometry. This makes the overall towing experience better.

Just something to think about if you plan on towing a lot.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
ecupip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
I've had 2 vehicles with the modern, closed air suspensions and have not had any problems at all.
What two were those? There is very few cars on the road today using a closed system.

Also there is no way for the front suspension to pull the front of the vehicle down in the case of heavy towing. All it can do is ask the suspension to reduce the height but when the weight is pulling up on the front the air springs can not pull the car back down. It is a nice thought though.
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
Marcus86GLHS

if a GC's rear is squatted way too far due to too high of a tonque loading isn't that is a disaster waiting to happen, even if you could level it out with an air suspension? Isnt it best to use a load-alleviating hitch? I read the new 2011's get load-leveling shocks with the Tow Group, how do they function, with a closed air system?

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #12
ecupip

If you get the air suspension the load leveling shocks in the tow package are removed. The air springs act in the same way.
Unread 12-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
Burb_Rated
2011 WK 

Having read all of the professional reviews I could find, the feeling seems to be that the QL air suspension is not as well "sorted out" as the regular suspension. See MT's comments, for example.

My philosophy mimicks that of many others here--if you don't need it, then it's just one more thing that can go bad. I don't have any data in front of me, but I'm quite sure that adjustable air suspensions in general have a higher failure rate than non-adjustable suspensions.

For the same reason, I place very little value on the extra goodies that distinguish the Overland from the Limited.

The same could be said (and has been) of the Limited versus the Laredo X, except I wanted the frost beige interior. If it had been available in the Laredo X, then I'd be driving one of those instead of my Limited.

I do like the idea of the QDII, even if not off-roading. LSDs can be very useful on road as well. In fact, from an on-road perspective, a left-right torque transfer is likely more useful than a front-back transfer. IMO, some type of LSD should be included in even the basic QTI package.

BR
Unread 12-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Wk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb_Rated View Post
....IMO, some type of LSD should be included in even the basic QTI package.

BR
I agree
Unread 12-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #15
mjw930

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecupip View Post
What two were those? There is very few cars on the road today using a closed system.

Also there is no way for the front suspension to pull the front of the vehicle down in the case of heavy towing. All it can do is ask the suspension to reduce the height but when the weight is pulling up on the front the air springs can not pull the car back down. It is a nice thought though.
Cayenne and Touareg for me and an Audi All Road that a friend has 130,000 miles on with no issues.

It's more than a nice thought, I can watch my Touareg raise the rear and lower the front when I hook up my 16' enclosed trailer. I agree however, that if the front is being levered up by too much tongue weight the air suspension isn't going to help. I have also used a load leveling hitch with the Cayenne's air suspension before PCNA updated their stance on load leveling with the air suspension. Imagine a midsize SUV towing a 24' race trailer perfectly level with no sway. Another person with an "S" without air suspension had a similar trailer / hitch combo and although he got it fairly level he was amazed how much better mine was on the road.

I would have no qualms running a quality load leveling hitch with a Overland with air suspension, regardless what Jeep says.

I'm just a fan of the air suspensions and since I rarely keep anything beyond the factory warranty I don't worry about failures.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.