Putting a lift on a GC that has the air lift on it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Putting a lift on a GC that has the air lift on it

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Lifted07Duramax
1999 WJ 

Putting a lift on a GC that has the air lift on it

I do not know much at all about the grand cherokees, but I did see I can raise and lower them if I get that option by 1.3" up from stock and 1.3" down from stock so a total of 2.6" in travel. Do I have that right?

2nd Im wondering if I throw on a 2" lift will I still be able to use that feature or do I lose it? Or maybe you can't put a lift on a GC that has the air lift option? I dont know.

Thats why Im here asking you guys

Lifted07Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Vantage

You cannot put an aftermarket lift on a truck with Quadralift (air suspension).
Vantage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #3
Lifted07Duramax
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
You cannot put an aftermarket lift on a truck with Quadralift (air suspension).
Well that sucks, so its either I dont the quadralift and then throw on a 2" lift, or I get the quadralift and am able to raise and lower it, hmm thats tough.

Does a certain model come standard with the quadralift? Meaning can I get a summit without it?
Lifted07Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
jacko15
2014 WK 

http://www.jeep.com/hostc/bmo/CUJ201403/models.do?
jacko15 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

All models with the ORA II option package have QL. All Overland and Summits have QL. Otherwise I think they all have steel springs. You cannot get a 4x4 Summit without QL. You could option up a steel Limited to the same features as a Summit (but not QD unless you also get QL), but you won't get the Summit styling touches.

No one makes a QL lift kit but you can adjust the height sensor rods to lift a QL. The QL has a stiff ride when lifted much, however. You would not want to drive around town more than 10 mph at its max height, unless you want to jar your fillings lose. If you adjust the QL height sensor rods to give you a higher normal ride height, you will be up against the bump stops when switched to OR2 level. You will have no rebound, not that there is all that much to begin with.

If you want something thats always lifted significantly and rides OK, stick with steel springs.
Unread 01-12-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
goonbash

How much extra height do you get in normal ride height from adjusting the height sensors? Does it only increase normal ride height or do you get extra height in OR1 & OR2?
And can you adjust only the OR2 sensors so normal ride height and OR1 stay stock but you get extra lift in OR2 only?

Thanks
goonbash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
Medpilot
2014 WK 

info on the quadralift suspension. http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_quadralift.htm

Personally I wouldn't mess with the height sensors. A lot of design and engineering went into making that work.

If you're that hell bent on lifting your Jeep, get a coil sprung Laredo/Limited.
Medpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonbash View Post
How much extra height do you get in normal ride height from adjusting the height sensors? Does it only increase normal ride height or do you get extra height in OR1 & OR2?
And can you adjust only the OR2 sensors so normal ride height and OR1 stay stock but you get extra lift in OR2 only?

Thanks
"hacking" the sensors affects all ride height settings. There is one sensor at each wheel used for all modes.

Lifting the QL suspension is like installing stiffer and stiffer springs. Possible and you can do it but I would not want to ride in one that has been lifted in this way. Spacers are not available for QL because they interfere with the QL computer and there is no way around it yet. Coils spring spacer lifts don't increase spring rates, and replacing the coils with longer springs won't necessarily change spring rates. As others have said, if you are serious about driving around with a lifted WK2, stay away from QL. IMHO lifting a QL is a non-starter.

But if you insist, there is no way yet (published) to override the QL height computer. All you can do is trick it into thinking the suspension is at a different height than it really is by "hacking" the height sensors. You can raise the vehicle as much as you want until you hit the suspension rebound stop (you can get a rough idea by jacking the body up with the wheels hanging to the point where they start lifting off the ground). Now when you have the height set by hacking the sensors, and have it set to near max lift in normal, if you should accidentally switch to OR1 or 2, the QL compressor will try to push the control arms through their stops and you may quickly have a burned out compressor.

So bottom line, you can play with the height sensors which has the effect of adding a stiffer spring, so its not something you want to do other than for style.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.