PSA: 12' Overland Summit Wheels are Junk - JeepForum.com

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 04-13-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
bb1248

PSA: 12' Overland Summit Wheels are Junk

Ok, maybe not junk. However poorly designed maybe?

So I've owned my 2012 Overland Summit for 11 months now. Previously drove a WJ. I'm sure it's been talked about before but not sure if anyone has experienced it to this degree.

At the center of the wheel there is a plastic(?) cap. This area seems to be a weak point in the clear coat for the wheels because on all 4 of mine water has made its way between the clear coat and the aluminum, causing bubbling and haze(?) of the clear coat.

I live in Michigan. Yes we can get a lot of snow and yes we use salt on our roads to deal with it. Over time I would expect this to happen.

It happened on my WJ; when she was about 9 years old. This Jeep is only 3-4 years old.

I personally find it ridiculous to happen this quickly to the "premium" package wheels. If it was just the little bit that's happened to 3 of my wheels I'd deal with it and be able to ignore it.

But the scale of whats happened to my 4th wheel just makes me angry and now I have to consider my options. Because I can't look at that all summer.

End of PSA

Attached Images

2004 WJ - 4.7 Laredo
2012 WK2 - 5.7 Overland Summit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 04-13-2016, 08:37 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You may want to contact forum member jeepcares or a dealer for options. I hear some have been replaced under warranty, dunno about your case since you purchased used.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 43 Old 04-13-2016, 08:51 PM
kryogen
2011 WK 

Horrible.
This is why everyone around here drives their vehicles on black steel rims all winter(that includes me).
Mags are just for the summer, unless you want to deal with that.

My 2011 are totally spotless because they were not driven during winter.
Sinisterod likes this.

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, QD, QL
Nokian Hakkapelita 8 SUV Studded winter tires
post #4 of 43 Old 04-13-2016, 08:54 PM
oldmac1
2015 WK 

Ouch

Oldmac1
15 GC Overland
12 Liberty
15 Rubicon Unlimited
post #5 of 43 Old 04-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Monarchco
2012 WK 

welcome to Mag chloride.... or Calcium chloride.

washing my vehicles frequently has prevented these problems...

Both chemicals are highly corrosive to metals and other substances.

results of mag chloride:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 43 Old 04-14-2016, 02:01 AM
hobbie1
2015 WK 

Had the clear coat peeling happen on my 2014 RAM. RAM replaced the wheels and I have since had no issues.

15 Summit 4X4 Eco Diesel
14 RAM 2500 Cummins 4X4 Laramie CC
13 Mustang GT
66 Mustang Cp - 306 5sp
post #7 of 43 Old 04-15-2016, 06:52 PM
RFletcher
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1248
Ok, maybe not junk. However poorly designed maybe? So I've owned my 2012 Overland Summit for 11 months now. Previously drove a WJ. I'm sure it's been talked about before but not sure if anyone has experienced it to this degree. At the center of the wheel there is a plastic(?) cap. This area seems to be a weak point in the clear coat for the wheels because on all 4 of mine water has made its way between the clear coat and the aluminum, causing bubbling and haze(?) of the clear coat. I live in Michigan. Yes we can get a lot of snow and yes we use salt on our roads to deal with it. Over time I would expect this to happen. It happened on my WJ; when she was about 9 years old. This Jeep is only 3-4 years old. I personally find it ridiculous to happen this quickly to the "premium" package wheels. If it was just the little bit that's happened to 3 of my wheels I'd deal with it and be able to ignore it. But the scale of whats happened to my 4th wheel just makes me angry and now I have to consider my options. Because I can't look at that all summer. End of PSA
Have the same problem on mine, as well as my 2008 Rubicon, and my 06 Charger. It's clearly an issue with the quality of their finish.
post #8 of 43 Old 04-15-2016, 07:38 PM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

I have not had that issue with my MY12 Summit's wheels...purchased the vehicle in July 2012 and it has 68K miles on it as of today. The only mark on mine is due to my own stupidity when I brushed a rough curb that was about 12" tall due to a small sink hole while parking on vacation. But I've heard that some folks have had issues and agree with ColdCase...pursue with Jeep Cares or your dealer since this, in my mind, isn't "normal" wear and tear. The only downside is that it sounds like you are not the original owner and that may affect outcome.

2012 JGC Summit Hemi
2016 Subaru Outback Limited
2011 Subaru Outback Limited
post #9 of 43 Old 04-15-2016, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
bb1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA View Post
...pursue with Jeep Cares or your dealer since this, in my mind, isn't "normal" wear and tear. The only downside is that it sounds like you are not the original owner and that may affect outcome.
Agreed that it isn't "normal wear and tear". I'll bring it to Jeep Cares attention. I am the second owner and did buy it as CPO so maybe that'll be worth something.... I'll post eventual outcome.

2004 WJ - 4.7 Laredo
post #10 of 43 Old 04-16-2016, 08:11 AM
RFletcher
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1248
Agreed that it isn't "normal wear and tear". I'll bring it to Jeep Cares attention. I am the second owner and did buy it as CPO so maybe that'll be worth something.... I'll post eventual outcome.
I am the original owner on mine, if they're going to replace them, I would love to know.
post #11 of 43 Old 04-16-2016, 09:25 AM
kryogen
2011 WK 

This sure is normal wear and tear around here with what they apply on the roads..... they might say that it's not their fault if the city destroys your wheels.
You don't see anyone around here with nice mags during the winter.

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, QD, QL
Nokian Hakkapelita 8 SUV Studded winter tires
post #12 of 43 Old 04-16-2016, 01:58 PM
Monarchco
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
This sure is normal wear and tear around here with what they apply on the roads..... they might say that it's not their fault if the city destroys your wheels.
They could blame it on you as the user for not washing your car enough.

|
post #13 of 43 Old 04-16-2016, 09:03 PM
RFletcher
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchco
They could blame it on you as the user for not washing your car enough.
Doubtful, I live in North Carolina. It snows once a year for about twenty minutes.
post #14 of 43 Old 04-18-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
bb1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
If it is normal for a wheel to look like trash the way mine does on a 3-4 year old car then why isn't this happening to everyone?

Case in point: My wife drives a 2007 Avalon with aluminum wheels and she has zero problems with her clear coat. Her car sees more miles, as she has a long work commute, and is about 8-9 years old. It rides on the same winter roads that my Jeep has yet no problems. The point being that there seems to clearly be a weak design in these wheels making them more susceptible to problems.

Does that mean I want to trade me Jeep for a Toyota? Hell no! I drive a Jeep because I like Jeeps. Just this weekend my water pump failed on my GC so I was wrenching on it. Chalked it up to "It's a Jeep" and didn't once consider getting a more "reliable" vehicle.

You can argue it's the owners fault for not buying an extra "winter" wheel set, which I would agree with if I wanted to maintain showroom quality wheels. The idea that every driver in a northern state, or Canada, should have to have two sets of wheels or else have to accept wheel that look like this is, in my opinion, a little bit ridiculous.

Just my opinion.

2004 WJ - 4.7 Laredo
post #15 of 43 Old 04-18-2016, 12:42 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There seems to be production variances across FCA US built vehicles where a few wheels will corrode while most show no signs. Jeep (along with Dodge, RAM, Chrysler) have been replacing them under warranty. My 5 year old WK2 wheels are not showing any signs of corrosion, nor are our 7 year old KK wheels. The Discount tire wheels, however, were badly corroded after just two winters. My WJ went about 6 years.

Seems that GM and Ferd are also having similar issues with wheels. Wonder if they all use the same supplier.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.