Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

PSA: 12' Overland Summit Wheels are Junk

9K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  andyo5 
#1 ·
Ok, maybe not junk. However poorly designed maybe?

So I've owned my 2012 Overland Summit for 11 months now. Previously drove a WJ. I'm sure it's been talked about before but not sure if anyone has experienced it to this degree.

At the center of the wheel there is a plastic(?) cap. This area seems to be a weak point in the clear coat for the wheels because on all 4 of mine water has made its way between the clear coat and the aluminum, causing bubbling and haze(?) of the clear coat.

I live in Michigan. Yes we can get a lot of snow and yes we use salt on our roads to deal with it. Over time I would expect this to happen.

It happened on my WJ; when she was about 9 years old. This Jeep is only 3-4 years old.

I personally find it ridiculous to happen this quickly to the "premium" package wheels. If it was just the little bit that's happened to 3 of my wheels I'd deal with it and be able to ignore it.

But the scale of whats happened to my 4th wheel just makes me angry and now I have to consider my options. Because I can't look at that all summer.

End of PSA

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You may want to contact forum member jeepcares or a dealer for options. I hear some have been replaced under warranty, dunno about your case since you purchased used.

#3 ·
Horrible.
This is why everyone around here drives their vehicles on black steel rims all winter(that includes me).
Mags are just for the summer, unless you want to deal with that.

My 2011 are totally spotless because they were not driven during winter.

Reactions: Sinisterod
#17 ·
I don't accept that.

Manufacturers know the environments vehicles will be driven in. I don't have corrosion on any of my other vehicles despite being driven in the exact same environment, nor do I know anyone else that has had this issue. These are not ten plus year old vehicles.

Remarkably, there is no noticeable corrosion anywhere else on the vehicle outside the wheels and a few rock chips on my fog light bezels. This is a manufacturing or quality defect. Period.

#7 ·
bb1248 said:
Ok, maybe not junk. However poorly designed maybe? So I've owned my 2012 Overland Summit for 11 months now. Previously drove a WJ. I'm sure it's been talked about before but not sure if anyone has experienced it to this degree. At the center of the wheel there is a plastic(?) cap. This area seems to be a weak point in the clear coat for the wheels because on all 4 of mine water has made its way between the clear coat and the aluminum, causing bubbling and haze(?) of the clear coat. I live in Michigan. Yes we can get a lot of snow and yes we use salt on our roads to deal with it. Over time I would expect this to happen. It happened on my WJ; when she was about 9 years old. This Jeep is only 3-4 years old. I personally find it ridiculous to happen this quickly to the "premium" package wheels. If it was just the little bit that's happened to 3 of my wheels I'd deal with it and be able to ignore it. But the scale of whats happened to my 4th wheel just makes me angry and now I have to consider my options. Because I can't look at that all summer. End of PSA
Have the same problem on mine, as well as my 2008 Rubicon, and my 06 Charger. It's clearly an issue with the quality of their finish.

#8 ·
I have not had that issue with my MY12 Summit's wheels...purchased the vehicle in July 2012 and it has 68K miles on it as of today. The only mark on mine is due to my own stupidity when I brushed a rough curb that was about 12" tall due to a small sink hole while parking on vacation. But I've heard that some folks have had issues and agree with ColdCase...pursue with Jeep Cares or your dealer since this, in my mind, isn't "normal" wear and tear. The only downside is that it sounds like you are not the original owner and that may affect outcome.

#9 ·
...pursue with Jeep Cares or your dealer since this, in my mind, isn't "normal" wear and tear. The only downside is that it sounds like you are not the original owner and that may affect outcome.
Agreed that it isn't "normal wear and tear". I'll bring it to Jeep Cares attention. I am the second owner and did buy it as CPO so maybe that'll be worth something.... I'll post eventual outcome.

#11 ·
This sure is normal wear and tear around here with what they apply on the roads..... they might say that it's not their fault if the city destroys your wheels.
You don't see anyone around here with nice mags during the winter.

#15 ·
There seems to be production variances across FCA US built vehicles where a few wheels will corrode while most show no signs. Jeep (along with Dodge, RAM, Chrysler) have been replacing them under warranty. My 5 year old WK2 wheels are not showing any signs of corrosion, nor are our 7 year old KK wheels. The Discount tire wheels, however, were badly corroded after just two winters. My WJ went about 6 years.

Seems that GM and Ferd are also having similar issues with wheels. Wonder if they all use the same supplier.

#16 ·
I'm having the exact same issue on my Summit. I contacted JeepCares and was instructed to bring it to the local dealership for review. The guy I spoke with was extremely disinterested and said it was caused by a tire mounting machine which is just crazy. JeepCares said they couldn't do anything after this analysis.

I took it back a few months later and had the service manager look at it and he confirmed it was without a doubt corrosion and put in a ticket only to have replacement denied as it wasn't covered by the corrosion warranty (even though I'm still under this). I messaged JeepCares about the service manger confirming this was indeed corrosion and I've received no response.

I've been a loyal Jeep owner since I could start driving, this was my third Jeep and will likely be my last. Jeep evidently doesn't stand behind their products. This type of corrosion on a five year old (still under warranty) vehicle is absolutely inexcusable, especially on their top of the line product.

See my post at http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/chrome-issues-3634394/

#19 ·
I'm having the exact same issue on my Summit. I contacted JeepCares and was instructed to bring it to the local dealership for review. The guy I spoke with was extremely disinterested and said it was caused by a tire mounting machine which is just crazy. JeepCares said they couldn't do anything after this analysis.

I took it back a few months later and had the service manager look at it and he confirmed it was without a doubt corrosion and put in a ticket only to have replacement denied as it wasn't covered by the corrosion warranty (even though I'm still under this). I messaged JeepCares about the service manger confirming this was indeed corrosion and I've received no response.

I've been a loyal Jeep owner since I could start driving, this was my third Jeep and will likely be my last. Jeep evidently doesn't stand behind their products. This type of corrosion on a five year old (still under warranty) vehicle is absolutely inexcusable, especially on their top of the line product.
Hearld

I'm sorry to hear this. I had a moment of optimism when coldcase said FCA has been replacing these under warranty, since I'm still under warranty. The results you've gotten from your dealer are honestly what I expect to happen in my case.

I had sent JeepCares a PM a few days ago and have not gotten a response so far. Perhaps I never will.

Keep us updated if you continue to pursue this.

#18 ·
hearld5000 said:
I'm having the exact same issue on my Summit. I contacted JeepCares and was instructed to bring it to the local dealership for review. The guy I spoke with was extremely disinterested and said it was caused by a tire mounting machine which is just crazy. JeepCares said they couldn't do anything after this analysis. I took it back a few months later and had the service manager look at it and he confirmed it was without a doubt corrosion and put in a ticket only to have replacement denied as it wasn't covered by the corrosion warranty (even though I'm still under this). I messaged JeepCares about the service manger confirming this was indeed corrosion and I've received no response. I've been a loyal Jeep owner since I could start driving, this was my third Jeep and will likely be my last. Jeep evidently doesn't stand behind their products. This type of corrosion on a five year old (still under warranty) vehicle is absolutely inexcusable, especially on their top of the line product. See my post at http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/chrome-issues-3634394/
Are you going to continue the fight?

#20 ·
I'm feeling a bit renewed after seeing I'm clearly not the only one having this issue. There are a few other posts for Summit wheels with the same issue, regular Overland wheels evidently don't have the issue.

I'm planning on filing with the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Reports this weekend. I would encourage everyone to do the same.
I have a handful of old colleagues in the national news industry as well so may speak with them if I get the time.

Hearld

I'm sorry to hear this. I had a moment of optimism when coldcase said FCA has been replacing these under warranty, since I'm still under warranty. The results you've gotten from your dealer are honestly what I expect to happen in my case.

I had sent JeepCares a PM a few days ago and have not gotten a response so far. Perhaps I never will.

Keep us updated if you continue to pursue this.
Well thats the kicker, some people have been reportedly been successful in getting replacements but the warranty process has been completely inconsistent and apparently arbitrary even though its the same material defect.

#23 ·
Well, so another update.
Yesterday I received a call from JeepCares, FCA will be replacing the wheels on my Summit after reviewing the report entered by the service manager. This is a massive relief. They've secured the loyalty of another long-time Jeep owner. I'll likely be purchasing a new Jeep again after all in the future.

#26 ·
I had this happen on my '12 Overland. The wheels were replaced under the 3/36 warranty. The problem is the wheel design. There are 5 cavities that have no weep holes for water to get out. The road salt solution just sits in this cavity and eventually corrodes thru the center hub opening behind the center cap. After they replaced all my wheels I removed them and ground channels for the water to get out. I then coated the back surface of the wheel with never-seize. This was done 40k miles ago and I still have zero corrosion. If you get new wheels then you might want to do the same or the corrosion will just happen again.

#27 ·
The problem with all the 2011-2013 rims is that there is no drainage holes for the hub area in the wheel. The picture of the clean hub is from my 2014 limited after 2 Chicago winters. The rusty hub is from my wife's 2013 overland after 3 Chicago winters. Stark difference! My 2014 wheels are literally perfect. My wife's 2013 wheels are starting to corrode and bubble. If they don't replace you wheels with the drain holes you will probably end with the same problem.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Wood Gas Terrestrial animal Automotive wheel system

White Blue Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim

Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Hubcap Alloy wheel

#31 ·
Another quick update: JeepCares got back to me and suggested I take it to the dealer and have them take pictures and submit them to Chrysler for warranty replacement. So I did that today. The Service Advisor let me know that he doesn't think that FCA will replace them and that he's had one other circumstance with corrosion on a RAM, no where near as bad as mine, that was denied for replacement because they were out of the 3 year - 36,000 by a few thousand miles. :/ Yea I'm way out of the 3 year - 36,000 mile but I'm still within the 7 year - 100,000 Power Train (obviously wheels are not covered under power train warranty). I guess I'm just going to be hopeful FCA will do the right thing to keep a long time Jeep around. Fingers crossed.

#32 ·
Sorry Bro

I'm in the same boat as you, although not as bad. I've had my Overland summit about the same period of time as you, the same wheels are showing a little bit of the oxidation but not that bad. I've decided to use the stock rims for the winter and grab the same style 20" five spoke but in black chrome for summer! Hope all works out

#34 ·
Got a response from FCA. Denied replacement. Past "Good Will" replacement period. Specifics on what exactly that is was not given upon request of the dealer. Disappointed! Haven't yet seen anyone else who's had such aggressive damage to their wheels as bad as mine. Awaiting reply from JeepCares regarding other options.

#36 ·
Resolution: JeepCares contacted me with the following offer.

Local dealer will sell me new wheels at "warranty" price of $541.80 per wheel plus $44 Installation fee = $2211.20

Jeep will reimburse me half the cost of the wheels and the installation fee = $1127.60

For a net out-of-pocket = $1083.60

A good price for 4 brand new wheels for sure. The "warranty" price per wheel seems to be retail price to me but maybe I'm wrong. I wasn't given the "non-warranty" price. Disappointed that I wasn't offered the same deal as hearld5000 but it's better than the, tough luck FCA originally gave me.

#38 ·
Oh man.

I'm in thus same boat now.

Just detailed truck.

Looks amazing after 4 1/2 years.

All my wheels have bubbles in the finishes.

The corrosion bubbles are clustered around the center cap.

I'm off to dealership now.

I have the extended gold plan warranty(7 year 160 000km).

I hope I don't get the usual runaround.

#40 ·
So dealer today about these rims.

They responded with " what's ur mileage?. ( 88 000km).

Can't do much for you with that kind of mileage ".

I kinda expected that.

Next call is to FCA Canada.
Pretty much the same thing the dealer told me. I'm at 84,000 mi (135,000 km).

I still insisted that they take pictures of all 4 wheels and submit them for a warranty replacement request. First, you never know what the official response will be until you try. Second, to have a record of the problem being submitted to FCA for JeepCares to reference.

After FCA got back to the dealer, who got back to me with the "sorry out of warranty" I began attempting to engage JeepCares for assistance. It ended up taking about 3 weeks of a PM every 4-5 days before I get a response from JeepCares. It's important to keep on it and stay friendly, IME.

Good luck and keep trying.

#43 ·
Pretty much got told to eat it with just over 40k miles when I contacted Jeep cares, so much for standing behind your product... also, not buying the didn't wash it enough and road treatment argument. Mine is kept in the garage and coastal North Carolina isn't really in the snow belt. Pure and simple, this is a design or material defect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.