powerstop package - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > powerstop package

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

powerstop package

i ran these on my ford focus and LOVED them. just wondering if anyone's running this package on their WK2. I searched. didn't come up with anything.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A5870A0A0.aspx

366 and they're running a specail for 50 bucks off, no shipping.

i could probably keep the rotors that are on there. But they're grooved a bit. I definitely need pads. i'm at 44k miles and they're getting thin.

just wondering if anyone's run this package on their WK2. i loved em on my focus. but wasn't sure how that translated to the grand.

Thanks guys. Sorry if it's been asked. I really did use the search.

Unread 02-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I haven't seen that specific model come across but I know the discussion of drilled vs slotted vs regular rotors has been talked and argued about. haha

When I do my brakes I may consider other aftermarket options.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #3
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

thanks. so at least i'm not repeating a thread that's been beaten to death.

the slotted/drilled debate i've read. and i understand. I debated a lot before i bought this package for the focus. in the end i loved the result. the extra braking it added is probably just from a more aggressive pad. but overall it really improved the feel of the brakes on the car.

i figured for 300 bucks it was probably worth it since it does all 4 rotors and pads.

the same thing from advance auto was $355 with ceramic pads and wearever gold rotors. (before any coupons).
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If you loved them on the focus, you will probably like them on the WK2. There have been quite a few discussions here on the subject. The consensus was that drilled/slotted rotors don't translate well to light trucks, but that opinion is not unanimous .

As you mention, the pads may be what makes the difference, pads matched to the rotor that is.
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
If you loved them on the focus, you will probably like them on the WK2. There have been quite a few discussions here on the subject. The consensus was that drilled/slotted rotors don't translate well to light trucks, but that opinion is not unanimous .

As you mention, the pads may be what makes the difference, pads matched to the rotor that is.
i just wanted to see if anyone on here was running them. I didn't have any cracking or warping issues with mine. but that was a 3500 lb car. not sure how it translates to the bigger heavier WK2.

i'm sure the keyboard warriors can argue for days about drill/slotted vs blank. i was more interested if anyone had actually tried these.

if nobody has tried them i'll probably end up being the guinea pig.
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post

the same thing from advance auto was $355 with ceramic pads and wearever gold rotors. (before any coupons).
How do those compare to the powerstop package? I like buying from AA, good company and products so if that package (assuming including all 4 rotors and pads) is better than what you posted I may do it. I have had ceramic before but only like bottom of the line ceramic. What's the word on the AA package for $353?

Unread 02-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
How do those compare to the powerstop package? I like buying from AA, good company and products so if that package (assuming including all 4 rotors and pads) is better than what you posted I may do it. I have had ceramic before but only like bottom of the line ceramic. What's the word on the AA package for $353?
oh that was just me picking good pads and rotors off their website. I didn't add tax in either (which you have to pay)

they also offer hawk pads for 135 or so per pair.

the nice thing about AA is you can play the "multiple order, multiple discount" game. usually it's like 30 bucks off a 100 dollar order. so you do 3 separate orders and you can knock 90 bucks off a 355 dollar order. and you can pick up in store.
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #8
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Got it.

Unread 02-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #9
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Drilled and Slotted rotors

Problem with most drilled rotors is the holes are drilled in which can causes cracks and other issues. Porsche rotors have the holes cast in. Reason for the holes was to let the pads off gas. Slotted rotors serve the same purpose. Problem with both is you reduce the ability of the rotors to do their job which is to act as a big heat sink and then dissipate the heat. I never felt the need for slotted and/or drilled rotors when I was doing track days I could get the rotors glowing red on my 3 series. A quality rotor like the OME WK2 is usually your best bet.

If you are looking for better braking I would go with a better pad ie one that gives shorter stop distances. Most OEM pads are optimized for low noise since Americans hate brakes that are noisy. Hawk, EBS et al all make performance pads. Than I would go with a fluid like ATE Gold or another brake fluid with a high wet boiling point. Avoid some of the racing brake fluids since they can attract water vapor and need to be changed more often. Then I would go with a quality braided brake line from Earl's and look at options to vent more air to brakes to cool them.

With the right pads, lines fluid etc you can get brake performance that rivals GC SRT8 at a substantially lower cost.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Problem with most drilled rotors is the holes are drilled in which can causes cracks and other issues. Porsche rotors have the holes cast in. Reason for the holes was to let the pads off gas. Slotted rotors serve the same purpose. Problem with both is you reduce the ability of the rotors to do their job which is to act as a big heat sink and then dissipate the heat. I never felt the need for slotted and/or drilled rotors when I was doing track days I could get the rotors glowing red on my 3 series. A quality rotor like the OME WK2 is usually your best bet.

If you are looking for better braking I would go with a better pad ie one that gives shorter stop distances. Most OEM pads are optimized for low noise since Americans hate brakes that are noisy. Hawk, EBS et al all make performance pads. Than I would go with a fluid like ATE Gold or another brake fluid with a high wet boiling point. Avoid some of the racing brake fluids since they can attract water vapor and need to be changed more often. Then I would go with a quality braided brake line from Earl's and look at options to vent more air to brakes to cool them.

With the right pads, lines fluid etc you can get brake performance that rivals GC SRT8 at a substantially lower cost.
I'm not looking to have the drilled/slotted debate. I've read it. i've tried it myself on other cars. and there's hundreds upon hundreds of threads about slotted/drilled vs blanks.

my wife drives the to work and back. it'll never be run hard enough to need slotted/drilled rotors. That said, for similar $, i'm considering that package mostly because I really liked them on the other car i ran them on.

which is why I was looking for first hand experience with the package rather than keyboard warriors fighting back and forth speculating on what someone "needs" or "doesn't need". i was hoping someone had already tried them and would say "oh they're awesome" or "only got 15k miles before the rotors warped".

good or bad, i was hoping someone had tried them.

if not, i'm probably going to be the guinea pig.
Unread 02-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Look at the cost of the package vs OEM

Quote:
I'm not looking to have the drilled/slotted debate. I've read it. i've tried it myself on other cars. and there's hundreds upon hundreds of threads about slotted/drilled vs blanks.

my wife drives the to work and back. it'll never be run hard enough to need slotted/drilled rotors. That said, for similar $, i'm considering that package mostly because I really liked them on the other car i ran them on.

which is why I was looking for first hand experience with the package rather than keyboard warriors fighting back and forth speculating on what someone "needs" or "doesn't need". i was hoping someone had already tried them and would say "oh they're awesome" or "only got 15k miles before the rotors warped".

good or bad, i was hoping someone had tried them.

if not, i'm probably going to be the guinea pig.
4 rotors and pads for under $400 is cheap really cheap especially since the rotors are drilled etc. I would stay away from this kit based on the cost. I have found through the years with rotors especially you get what you pay for and cheaper rotors usually meant they warped or had issues sooner. I would go with rotors from Jeep OEM, Hawk HPS or LTS pads and I would lean to the HPS pads and ATE Gold brake fluid, Changing the brake lines is up to you. MSRP new OEM GC brake pads and rotors are over $600
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #12
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
4 rotors and pads for under $400 is cheap really cheap especially since the rotors are drilled etc. I would stay away from this kit based on the cost. I have found through the years with rotors especially you get what you pay for and cheaper rotors usually meant they warped or had issues sooner. I would go with rotors from Jeep OEM, Hawk HPS or LTS pads and I would lean to the HPS pads and ATE Gold brake fluid, Changing the brake lines is up to you. MSRP new OEM GC brake pads and rotors are over $600
again, just looking for first hand experiences with this package. Not advice on what rotors you would run instead. If someone has tried the package and they're having issues at 15k miles. Then we can make an accurate determination on whether this package is indeed "cheap" or "junk". simply basing it off the cost (that's fairly average from what i've seen) tells us nothing.

i had no issues with it on my focus. despite using them in very cold temps and using them pretty hard (WV mountain roads, i've had fade with the OE pad/rotor, and hot enough that they were smoking at the bottom of the mountain).

And OE chrysler rotors aren't exactly known for their high quality. i will not be purchasing OE rotors. and the fact that they cost 600 bucks is far from a surprise. given most OE components are priced similarly. Mopar fluid for the diff is 54 bucks a quart.
Unread 02-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
chickdr
2014 WK 

Quote:
i ran these on my ford focus and LOVED them. just wondering if anyone's running this package on their WK2. I searched. didn't come up with anything.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A5870A0A0.aspx

366 and they're running a specail for 50 bucks off, no shipping.

i could probably keep the rotors that are on there. But they're grooved a bit. I definitely need pads. i'm at 44k miles and they're getting thin.

just wondering if anyone's run this package on their WK2. i loved em on my focus. but wasn't sure how that translated to the grand.

Thanks guys. Sorry if it's been asked. I really did use the search.
I can tell you I bought the same Evolution ceramic pads on EBay for my 2007 Audi Q7 a few years ago. I used them with the original stock rotors. They were put on at 25k miles(that car eats pads) and at 55k the Evolution pads were still going strong. Highly recommended. Silent operation and minimal brake dust as well. They did not have as strong a bite as the oem pads, but the tradeoff was worth it to me. I only paid around $100 for front and rear pads off Ebay.
chickdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I can tell you I bought the same Evolution ceramic pads on EBay for my 2007 Audi Q7 a few years ago. I used them with the original stock rotors. They were put on at 25k miles(that car eats pads) and at 55k the Evolution pads were still going strong. Highly recommended. Silent operation and minimal brake dust as well. They did not have as strong a bite as the oem pads, but the tradeoff was worth it to me. I only paid around $100 for front and rear pads off Ebay.
sweet, thanks man. i appreciate the input. I liked them on my last car too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.