Power Starring Fluid Change at 40,000 kilometers? ? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-01-2015, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
moonguy

Power Starring Fluid Change at 40,000 kilometers? ?

I was getting an oil change this week at 40,000 kilometers and the dealer recommended a power steering fluid change at a cost of $190.00. I passed on it. It seems every time I am in there for an oil change they try and fleece me for something.

Is this a requirement at 40,000 kilometers which would be substantially less converting
Kilometers to miles ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonguy
I was getting an oil change this week at 40,000 kilometers and the dealer recommended a power steering fluid change at a cost of $190.00. I passed on it. It seems every time I am in there for an oil change they try and fleece me for something. Is this a requirement at 40,000 kilometers which would be substantially less converting Kilometers to miles ?
No it is not ..... Fluid changes are a racket .... For normal driving just change your engine oil every 16,000 kilometers with full synthetic oil and motor on to 160,000 km
post #3 of 7 Old 08-01-2015, 03:01 PM
SouthDakota

2014 WK 

A lot of $tealerships put pressure on you to change fluids according to the Heavy Duty (taxi service, etc.) maintenance schedule. I've heard some even have their own "made up" schedules, that are not provided by FCA, that they try to push onto people.

You were right by declining. Stick to your regular maintenance schedule in the manual.

-Jason

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
5.7L Hemi V8, Luxury Group II, Navigation
Hemifever Tuned, Billet Catch Can, 265/60R18 Hankook Dynapro ATMs
post #4 of 7 Old 08-01-2015, 05:22 PM
llahtjp

How do you 'fight it' when the severe service schedule is tied into a 'benefit package' of free oil changes and power train warranty offered by dealer???
post #5 of 7 Old 08-01-2015, 07:43 PM
kryogen
2011 WK 

190$ to change the power steering fluid? after 40 000km?

Want to waste 200$? Why not mail it to me?
How much is a bottle of PS fluid? 10$?

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, QD, QL
Nokian Hakkapelita 8 SUV Studded winter tires
post #6 of 7 Old 08-02-2015, 12:00 PM
norge2000

You are only required to follow schedule in manual for your warranty. Dealer trying to fleece you. Remember buyer beware.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-02-2015, 03:34 PM
kryogen
2011 WK 

the sad thing is that, IF at least they did a proper job, and did a full fluid change, that might be at least wrong but not too wrong, but usually they don't even do it, or they just turkey baster some out and refill. That's wrong.

When I did the fluid change on my maxima, it cost one container of atf which was 10$ or so, and took 15 minutes maybe, because I didn't know what I was doing.
Bacically, just umplug the return hose into a container, fill, and have someone turn the steering left and right while you refill. When the return line pours clean, whole system is flushed.... But, I did that at 200 000km.
IF you really want to play safe, you can just turkey baster pump out the reservoir, and refill. Once a year. Will keep it always fresh, for 10$ a year or less....

But how long do you plan to keep the jeep? if you keep for just 3-4 years, dont even touch it. Who cares.
My jeep is a 2011 and I havent even touched it yet, and you know what, I wont touch it for the next 3 years.

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, QD, QL
Nokian Hakkapelita 8 SUV Studded winter tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.