Power Liftgate Malfunctioning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Power Liftgate Malfunctioning

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 05-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
GaryGC

Power Liftgate Malfunctioning

On the rare occasion, my power lifgate fails to lock when it closes. I thought I would take the GC in at some point to see if the Dealer could tweak this.

That time has come because starting yesterday, when opening the liftgate, no matter what I use (console switch, fob, liftgate handle)...., the liftgate opens, gets to full open, then proceeds to close again automatically.

I'm guessing a travel adjustment needs to be made or a limit switch has gone bad. I will have my Dealer look at it, but has anyone had this issue before and if so, do you know what the fix was?

I will try to get some detail info from the Dealer so at least I know what I'm up against when the Warranty runs out. Assuming it will happen again...and as much as I use it, it probably will.

GaryGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The only time this happened to me was when there was a slight obstruction (soft bag). Does the gate close and open smoothly manually?

I'm sure you will get to the dealer and the hatch will work perfectly
ColdCase is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Ungerer

I have had the lift gate not open and lift ,but I went into the work shop and got it looked at ! She is ok now . They said that you can make it so you lift it up your self ? You can turn it off ?
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
GaryGC

I was able to take the car into the Dealer yesterday. It turns out that the problem was a faulty passenger side liftgate gas strut. Evidently it had lost enough gas to make the powered strut on the driver's side think that their was an obstruction near the top end of the travel. (In other words, not enough force on that side to open the gate all the way.) The liftgate was therefore opening, getting to allmost full open, then turning around and closing again.

Ungerer - If you pull on the liftgate handle twice, it defeats the motor and you can open the liftgate yourself.
GaryGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
plynn7
2014 WK 

I had the same exact issue, gate would go up then close and sometimes it would not lock, I would have to push on the gate to lock it. Took it to the dealer and they said it was computer issue, the ran an update and I have not had the issue since, that was three months ago.
plynn7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
RammerJammer77
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGC View Post
I was able to take the car into the Dealer yesterday. It turns out that the problem was a faulty passenger side liftgate gas strut. Evidently it had lost enough gas to make the powered strut on the driver's side think that their was an obstruction near the top end of the travel. (In other words, not enough force on that side to open the gate all the way.) The liftgate was therefore opening, getting to allmost full open, then turning around and closing again.

Ungerer - If you pull on the liftgate handle twice, it defeats the motor and you can open the liftgate yourself.
Same exact thing just happened to me. Am I way off thinking that a lift gate strut only lasting 3 years is pathetic and unacceptable? Especially when the dang things cracks you in the back of the head?
RammerJammer77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
chinok

Power lift gate won't close all the way to lock have push down by hand. On 2011 GC
Any quick fixes?
chinok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
kryogen
2011 WK 

mine has issues during winter when there is ice everywhere around and on it.
(but then the windows dont work, and sometimes you even have to fight the doors, so it's normal)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.