Power folding mirrors? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Power folding mirrors?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #16
Snipe315
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john07slade View Post
Used them the first couple of times going thru the car wash with the Escalade. Guess what. The soap oozes down onto the folded in mirror and never gets washed off cause the water never hits it. But hey, maybe you can retrofit them.
It doesn't happen that way.

I use go thru a car wash at least every other week. I manually fold in my mirrors. They always get cleaned just fine.

I don't see how a power folding mirror would be any different (except for me not having to get out of my vehicle to fold them).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/poll-wk2-owners-ql-1154625/
Snipe315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2010, 02:42 AM   #17
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
in my lifetime i have never once said, "I wish I could fold in my side view mirror."
I would love power folding mirrors.

Every time that I pull into the garage in the roadster, I manually fold both mirrors before going into the house.

My kids always end up banging their heads on the mirrors in the garage. With them closed, I have no issues.

Also, I cannot count the number of times that I have seen people driving around with a missing mirror or worse yet, one hanging from the side of the car via the electrical. People inevitably back the mirror into the garage wall when backing out. If you are in a hurry, then I can see how this might happen. Not to me, but to my wife or to my kids when they become new drivers.

My Jeeps are tall enough that the kids do not hit their heads. Thus, it is not a big deal. It still would be nice to have. Power is always better than manual. Since you already have electrical going to the mirrors for adjustment, dimming, and blinkers, adding a motor in the door to fold the mirror would not be that much more of a pain for the manufacturer.

I never thought that I would want memory seats, until I got married. Now, it is mandatory for me. Power folding mirrors seems to be kind of the same deal. They sound useless until you find them useful.

Now, headlight wipers. Never will I say that I need those.
Unread 06-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #18
zamerzant
2012 WK 

i have a power folding mirrors and its very useful and use it most of the times when parking or going through some tight places..but with using it i have notices something rather odd which is sometimes when the mirrors are folded and i turn on the car it automatically opens the fold and sometimes it doesnt.

does any one have idea how and why does it happen?
zamerzant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
wk2gp
2012 WK 

It's a Jeep thing, Johnny 5 is alive.
wk2gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
txguy67

My '13 Summit has power folding mirrors and they too unfold "sometimes" when I hit the start button...No mention of how to make it fully automatic in the dvd manual...It's a great feature anyway!
txguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #21
13ovsummit
2013 WK 

^^^ - On my '13' Summit, the mirrors always unfold when I start moving, (or if I manually press the fold mirror button), but never when I hit start .. ?

Rob
13ovsummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #22
Mojo57
2013 WK 

Mine will randomly open back up when I push start as well. Can't figure out why.
Mojo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #23
GHI408

Unhappy Power Folding Mirror Issue on 2013 Jeep GC Summit Edition

My 2013 Jeep GC Overland Summit (1st year power folding mirrors were included on the Summit edition) is in the Service Dept for this very same reason - mirrors sometime open when vehicle is started w/o hitting button to fold them out. Very inconsistent - sometimes fold out automatically; most times do not. First level technicians at Jeep Headquarters told Service Dept technicians that mirrors automatically fold out (or not) based upon surrounding objects as detected by the sonar sensors in the rear quarter panels (same sonar that controls blind spot & rear cross path warning systems). In other words, if sonar detects objects close by (garage wall, etc), then mirrors do not open automatically when vehicle starts. If sonar doesn't detect objects, then mirrors fold out automatically. However, I disputed that "theory" as I've noticed that mirrors sometimes automatically fold out when there are NO surrounding objects. Also, the sonar sensors are 8' feet +/- to the rear of the mirrors - what if there is an object close by to the mirrors but not close by to the sonar sensors? I've even had a scenario (much rarer occurrence) where the passenger side mirror folded out automatically but the driver side did not. Hitting the button to fold them out brought out the driver side mirror as well. After sharing this information w/ the Service Dept, Technicians at Jeep Headquarters have escalated issue to Gead Electrical Engineer.
Unread 11-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #24
GHI408

Smile Update (resolution) on power folding mirror issue

UPDATE (RESOLUTION) ON POWER FOLDING MIRROR ISSUE: (see my prior post of 11/23/13). After 8 days in the Service Dept of a superb dealership here in Boston (Brigham Gill) as well as the incredibly diligent work of customer care staff @ Jeep Headquarters in Michigan, the power folding mirror issue that the four of us on this forum have noted (myself; "Mojo57" on 7/17/13; "txguy67" on 7/16/13; & "zamerzant" on 6/21/13) has been resolved.

By a strange twist of fate/luck, my vehicle was in the service dept at the right time. First of all, the technicians at Jeep Headquarters (so-called STAR program - a sort of Jeep "geek squad) escalated the issue to the Chief Electrical Engineer @ Jeep, as I previously posted. He recently received a bulletin flash regarding the same issue on Jeep GC's produced/shipped to Japan over the past year that had uncovered a software programming bug/glitch, which was causing this issue of inconsistent & sporadic folding out of the mirrors w/o the driver using the power folding mirror button. The programming fix for the Japanese Jeep GC market had not yet been approved for the US market (had to go through Jeep's review/safety dept). This internal administrative/logistical process was undertaken, approved, and readied for distribution to US Jeep service departments overnight into Wed morning (11/25-26/13). My dealership service dept received the programming fix file & applied it to my Jeep Wed 11/26. After several hundred tests, the software re-programming fix was deemed a success.

I mentioned the posts on this forum to Jeep Headquarters and they encouraged me to post a follow-up advising others to contact their respective Jeep service depts for a similar fix on their Jeep GCs. The issue will not result in a recall notice or notification to affected consumers. The only way to obtain the fix is to specifically request your service dept apply the software fix to your vehicle.

I realize that much of the functioning of modern vehicles is computer driven (hardware & software), but I was utterly amazed, as was my dealership's service dept, that such a seemingly minor feature on a vehicle as power folding mirrors is controlled by software programming! I'm somewhat excited/honored that my Jeep was the first to receive this programming fix! More importantly, I'm pleased to pass along my experience & resolution to the others on this forum who have experienced the same issue.

Glenn
Unread 12-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #25
Ungerer

I have it on my 2011 limited and it has this thing but it is not that big of a problem . Do they go out as u drive off .
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #26
Mojo57
2013 WK 

GHI- Thank you for your follow up post! I'm due for an oil change so I will print this and give it to the service dept. will be glad to have this bug fixed! Very interesting and helpful!
Mojo57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.