Power folding mirrors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > Power folding mirrors?

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
NickOland
2004 WJ 

Power folding mirrors?

What does this option mean? Checked all around the evic to find an option to have them fold in when I turn off the car and can't. Is this a misleading option? Dealer told me it was there.

NickOland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
jonesark

I thought the 2011 didn't have power folding mirrors?
jonesark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
Marcus86GLHS

the mirror is powered, the folding action is manual.

better to label it as a "manually folding power side mirror".

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Jeep_mac

I found out it's a manual fold in the hard way, by clipping a cota bus...
Not a scratch though!
Jeep_mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
JerseyOverland

I have a 2011 Overland, and the EVIC has a power folding mirror option. When this is enabled, you put the truck in reverse and the driver side mirror folds down automatically to help you see the curb.

You can't use your mirror to look behind you when this is happening, so I disabled it.
JerseyOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
volvite
1999 WJ 

^That's not power folding mirrors from my understanding. Power folding mirrior is where you push/hold a button and the mirrors fold themselves close to the body. I know for example on a 05 tahoe if you hold down the center of the button that moves the direction of the mirror it will fold them in. What your talking about I think is curbside mirror or something like that that puts the mirror down to see the ground when you back up. The 05 tahoe I know of has that as well.
volvite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
JTS97Z28

Sorry to revive an old thread. I to am curious about the power folding mirrors. From my understanding as of now the U.S. versions do not get the power folding mirrors but certain export ones do. In a list of all features on the WK2 I did notice it said power folding however to my knowledge here in the U.S. they do not. I came across this video on youtube. This is obviously not in the U.S. but nice to see that the feature is atleast available on the WK2 somewhere which means it can likely be retrofitted onto other models with out it. Atleast it was on the WK's as I did it to my 05 Limited.

YouTube - ‫
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
Snipe315
2012 WK 

Nice.

So they leave this option off the U.S. version but include it in other countries?!?

WTF... Over?!?

I thought JEEP was an American Automotive Company.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/poll-wk2-owners-ql-1154625/
Snipe315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
Marcus86GLHS

non-US countries have tiny little narrow garages? thus, the need for quickly folding in the side mirrors maybe?

in my lifetime i have never once said, "I wish I could fold in my side view mirror."

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Unread 12-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #10
Stephen5242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe315 View Post
Nice.

So they leave this option off the U.S. version but include it in other countries?!?

WTF... Over?!?

I thought JEEP was an American Automotive Company.

Jeep/Chrysler are now owned by an Italian firm called Fiat.
Stephen5242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
JTS97Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
non-US countries have tiny little narrow garages? thus, the need for quickly folding in the side mirrors maybe?

in my lifetime i have never once said, "I wish I could fold in my side view mirror."
Although yes you are mostly correct its one of those features that here in the U.S. isnt extremely beneficial unless you live in the city. If you park on streets where its almost required that you dont have anything protruding from your car then auto folding mirrors is very nice.
I live way out in the far suburbs and have a nice roomy garage but I still think the folding mirrors would be nice especially the big ones on SUV's. Plus more gadgets, moving parts, and electronics is something I always like :-)

There were some WK's that actually got the power folding mirrors in the U.S. but only for a short period of time. The 06 and 07 Overlands had them here in the U.S. then they went away with that feature for whatever reasons. Retrofitting them into other WK's was actually relatively easy. Hardest part was finding a set of folding mirrors.

James
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
john07slade
2011 WK 

I had folding mirrors on my Escalade and maybe used them twice. Nice for the rare occasion where you were in a really tight parking place (which all parking places are in Escalades) but more trouble than they are worth IMHO. A number of foreign countries require them. I just came back from Dubai and almost every car had them there.
john07slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #13
Snipe315
2012 WK 

I can think of several situations where power folding mirrors would be nice to have...

- When parking in the city or anyplace with multiple parking stalls.
- When going thru a car wash (don't bother with the "hand wash" only stuff).
- When parking in a garage.

I just don't like not even having the option available here in the U.S.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/poll-wk2-owners-ql-1154625/
Snipe315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
Marcus86GLHS

you know i never thought of the automatic car wash thing.....it would be handy to have that option in that scenario.

Unread 12-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #15
john07slade
2011 WK 

Used them the first couple of times going thru the car wash with the Escalade. Guess what. The soap oozes down onto the folded in mirror and never gets washed off cause the water never hits it. But hey, maybe you can retrofit them.
john07slade is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.